240GB SSD on SATA II

TheBinaryGuy
Go to solution Solved by dalekphalm,
17 minutes ago, TheBinaryGuy said:

I'm afraid there's no extra power connector. I dont use the Optical drive though, can i use that one ??

If you're not using the ODD (Optical Disk Drive), I would actually disconnect both the SATA Data and Power cables from it, and use both for the SSD. I would also remove the ODD completely.

If you want to keep the ODD, you need a regular SATA Data cable (connects to one of the spare ports on the motherboard - the white and the black ports right below the blue and orange SATA cables), and you'll need a SATA Power Cable Y-Splitter. These are cheap on places like NewEgg and Amazon and eBay.

Either will work.

In terms of mounting, as previously mentioned, SSD's have no moving parts, so they don't strictly need to be mounted. You could just use some double sided tape and stick the SSD to the side of the case. Or you could get a proper 3.5" to 2.5" Mounting Bracket, and install the SSD in the spare 3.5" slot behind your HDD (Or, conversely, move the HDD to the lower slot and install the SSD w/ mounting bracket where the HDD currently is).

Sorry for being a noob at this, but can I install an SSD on my old DELL prebuilt PC ?

I'm posting the motherboard's photo dwon below.

Also SSD of choice is Kingston a400 or Crucial BX500 (2.5 Inch/240gigs)

I'm also confused where to mount the SSD and what cables to buy.

Any help is appreciated.

IMG_20190129_115848.jpg

Yes it is compatible but it will be bottlenecked on occasion.

Between your two options the Crucial BX500 is a significantly better drive than the Kingston A400 so go with it.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Looks like you have an open 3.5" bay behind the HDD, so you can get a 2.5" adapter to hold the SSD.  Beyond that, you should only need a SATA data cable.  Is there a free SATA power connector from your power supply (same as the one on the HDD), or are all the connections used up?

SATA II will limit the speed of the SSD, but it will still be much faster than the HDD.  I made this upgrade on a couple of my old computers to give them new life, and they still run usably fast as a result.

4 minutes ago, Princess Luna said:

Yes it is compatible but it will be bottlenecked on occasion.

Between your two options the Crucial BX500 is a significantly better drive than the Kingston A400 so go with it.

So 1 SATA cable and 1 sata power cable will be enough ? And i have to keep it hanging as no mounting space, is it okay ?

It should work fine, but just know you will not get the maximum 500+ MB/s sequential speeds.  However, it will still achieve sequential speeds higher than a HDD, especially vs any HDD of that era, and where SSDs really make a difference in how fast things feel is the random IO speeds which should not be hampered at all

1 minute ago, TheBinaryGuy said:

So 1 SATA cable and 1 sata power cable will be enough ? And i have to keep it hanging as no mounting space, is it okay ?

It looks like you do have places to mount it, but SSDs, due to not having any moving parts, don't really need to be mounted at all.  Just toss it in anywhere it's not obstructing the rotation of a fan or pulling on its own (or other) cables.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

2 minutes ago, VIVO-US said:

Is there a free SATA power connector from your power supply

I'm afraid there's no extra power connector. I dont use the Optical drive though, can i use that one ??

2 minutes ago, TheBinaryGuy said:

Yes, just connect the proper cables and it should be good to go, as pointed out mounting it is not necessary.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Thanks everyone, will post another snapshot if the SSD installation is successful !!

Thanks a ton again

And i have to keep it hanging as no mounting space, is it okay ?

I held mine up with medical tape for years. Duct tape works too.

If you're not using the ODD (Optical Disk Drive), I would actually disconnect both the SATA Data and Power cables from it, and use both for the SSD. I would also remove the ODD completely.

If you want to keep the ODD, you need a regular SATA Data cable (connects to one of the spare ports on the motherboard - the white and the black ports right below the blue and orange SATA cables), and you'll need a SATA Power Cable Y-Splitter. These are cheap on places like NewEgg and Amazon and eBay.

Either will work.

In terms of mounting, as previously mentioned, SSD's have no moving parts, so they don't strictly need to be mounted. You could just use some double sided tape and stick the SSD to the side of the case. Or you could get a proper 3.5" to 2.5" Mounting Bracket, and install the SSD in the spare 3.5" slot behind your HDD (Or, conversely, move the HDD to the lower slot and install the SSD w/ mounting bracket where the HDD currently is).

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

9 hours ago, VIVO-US said:

Looks like you have an open 3.5" bay behind the HDD

Thanks for pointing that out, i even found an extra sata power connector.

ordered the ssd and sata cable and the mounting bracket, thanks everyone

9 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

move the HDD to the lower slot and install the SSD w/ mounting bracket where the HDD currently is).

I have moved the HDD down, will post final snap when SSD arrives. Thanks a ton

2 minutes ago, TheBinaryGuy said:

sata cable and the mounting bracket,

not needed

reuse your cable from cd drive & tape the ssd to case

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE :

Installed the SSD, running windows !! Installed extra RAM from another old system.

Startup time is just 8-10 seconds. Office apps load in a blink.

Thank a ton you guys for the help

WhatsApp Image 2019-10-17 at 9.33.01 PM.jpeg