Bill Nye vs Ken Ham on the origins of the universe

TopWargamer

I think Bill Nye forgot that the flood was only 40 days and 40 nights, not a whole year.

I think Bill Nye forgot that the flood was only 40 days and 40 nights, not a whole year.

Doesn't that kind of reinforce his assertions?

It is actually a commonly held misconception that the flood only lasted 40 days and 40 nights. Also 40 days of submersion in water would probably be enough to kill most plant life anyway, 

Case: Corsair C70 GunMetalBlack, CPU: Intel 3570k, Mobo: Asus p8z77-v lx, CPU Cooler: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 2, RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz lp, Video Card: Asus HD7950 DC2 Top V2, SSD: Samsung 840 pro, HDD: one Seagate 2TB Barracuda, PSU: BeQuiet! Dark Power pro 10 650w, Monitor: Dell UltraSharp u2412m, Keyboard: CoolerMaster QuickFire tk (Brown Switches), Mouse: Steelseries Sensei raw, Sennheiser HD 558

How so?

Actually, nevermind that comment, I wasn't paying too close attention.

Evolution is still a theory... creation is still a theory... nobody knows what created the universe. We can believe what we want without bashing religion or athiestism (sorry if that's not what it's called). Both theories are far out there which is why you have faith/a belief in a theory.

Evolution is a theory in the context of science--a scientific theory like the theory of gravity backed up by evidence unlike creationism which is not in the same context. Creationism is a theory in the colloquial sense but not in the scientific one.

The word theory takes different meaning in the context of science and in the colloquial sense.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Evolution is a theory in the context of science--a scientific theory like the theory of gravity backed up by evidence unlike creationism which is not in the same context. Creationism is a theory in the colloquial sense but not in the scientific one.

The word theory takes different meaning in the context of science and in the colloquial sense.

Are you watching the stream? It's talking about science backing up creationism.

It is actually a commonly held misconception that the flood only lasted 40 days and 40 nights. Also 40 days of submersion in water would probably be enough to kill most plant life anyway, 

Misconception? In the Bible it says 40 days and 40 nights.

So Mr. Ham is falling back to questioning the efficacy of radiodecay to date fossils and rocks. If you question the use of radio decay then how effective does he think atomic clocks are? Should we use them as a basis of how we all keep track of time? Why does this atomic clock mirror how many hours our days have before eart makes one turn, and how many days we have in a trip around the sun? How are radioactive elements with definite half lifes and beta decay used in medicine to diagnose cancer? Should we trust in them? If we cant agree on the fundamentals of nuclear science, then he should also question the validity of all applications that these elements are used in. 

AMD FX-8350 @ 4.7Ghz when gaming | MSI 990FXA-GD80 v2 | Swiftech H220 | Sapphire Radeon HD 7950  +  XFX Radeon 7950 | 8 Gigs of Crucial Ballistix Tracers | 140 GB Raptor X | 1 TB WD Blue | 250 GB Samsung Pro SSD | 120 GB Samsung SSD | 750 Watt Antec HCG PSU | Corsair C70 Mil Green

Misconception? In the Bible it says 40 days and 40 nights.

Chapter 8 Verse 5: And the waters decreased continually until the tenth month: in the tenth month, on the first day of the month, were the tops of the mountains seen.

Edit: the bible mentions two separate periods of 40 days and 40 nights. The first is the 40 days/nights of rain sent by god, the other is a 40 day/night a period of rest after which Noah sends out the  raven and dove. 

Case: Corsair C70 GunMetalBlack, CPU: Intel 3570k, Mobo: Asus p8z77-v lx, CPU Cooler: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 2, RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz lp, Video Card: Asus HD7950 DC2 Top V2, SSD: Samsung 840 pro, HDD: one Seagate 2TB Barracuda, PSU: BeQuiet! Dark Power pro 10 650w, Monitor: Dell UltraSharp u2412m, Keyboard: CoolerMaster QuickFire tk (Brown Switches), Mouse: Steelseries Sensei raw, Sennheiser HD 558

Also, I didnt exist during WWII, so it must not have happened since I have decided to have faith in people that tell me that it didnt happen. Evidence be damned. Is that in line with what he is saying? 

AMD FX-8350 @ 4.7Ghz when gaming | MSI 990FXA-GD80 v2 | Swiftech H220 | Sapphire Radeon HD 7950  +  XFX Radeon 7950 | 8 Gigs of Crucial Ballistix Tracers | 140 GB Raptor X | 1 TB WD Blue | 250 GB Samsung Pro SSD | 120 GB Samsung SSD | 750 Watt Antec HCG PSU | Corsair C70 Mil Green

Also, I didnt exist during WWII, so it must not have happened since I have decided to have faith in people that tell me that it didnt happen. Evidence be damned. Is that in line with what he is saying? 

You can see it though..... if we had cameras doing a time lapse of earth for 4.7 million years then evolution could be fact and not theory.

http://www.amazon.com/Darkness-Falls-HD/dp/B005XDTIHA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1391564127&sr=8-1&keywords=WWII+hd

I interpret 'tenth month' as October.

Well the bible first mentions 3 "And the waters returned from off the earth continually: and after the end of the hundred and fifty days the waters were abated". Going on to state that In the seventh month the ark rests upon the mountains of Arat and the water continually decrease until the tenth month, after which there is a period of 40 days where nothing happens and then Noah sends out the raven and dove. 

Ken Ham's main line of debate: 'I don't understand radioactive dating and proven scientific methods so the only conceivable way of proving something is whether or not it's included in a 3500 year old book written by humans who didn't understand the earth or anything beyond their visible horizon'. If Radioactive dating was wrong, it would be a big deal; like a seriously big deal. It would turn science upside down, but guess what, it hasn't. The people who try to disprove are only trying to cater to the agenda of the cult (religion) that they follow, and have no interest in the betterment of society and the planet as a whole. Ken Ham is a joke and his ideas are a danger to humanity. Unfortunately debates like this are a complete waste of time for whoever is standing on the anti-creationism side.

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

Well the bible first mentions 3 "And the waters returned from off the earth continually: and after the end of the hundred and fifty days the waters were abated". Going on to state that In the seventh month the ark rests upon the mountains of Arat and the water continually decrease until the tenth month, after which there is a period of 40 days where nothing happens and then Noah sends out the raven and dove. 

Oh.... so the water was still for 40 days, now I get it.

You can see it though..... if we had cameras doing a time lapse of earth for 4.7 million years then evolution would be fact and not theory.

http://www.amazon.com/Darkness-Falls-HD/dp/B005XDTIHA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1391564127&sr=8-1&keywords=WWII+hd

? So I say again. I was not physically there to validate the evidence that someone caught on a camera. Even if I chose to accept seeing into the past by way of camera, what about wars where cameras didnt exist? Julius Caesar and his wars against the barbarians, Atilla the Hun rampage through Europe, The crusades against the Byzantines and the Arab world? I guess I cant believe any of that since I wasnt there.

We also have cameras that detect the after effects of the big bang. We pick up radio frequencies that are left overs from the past. Not a visual signal, but one that is more useful in objective based analysis, reasoning and astronomy  in general. His argument is basically, I wasnt there, therefor I cant trust it. But I can trust this bible. 

Oh.... so the water was still for 40 days, now I get it.

The 40 days is just the period of rain sent by god, not the actual duration of the flood. :)

Is it just me, or is Ken Ham pretty much saying since there is no known answer, the Bible is the only thing that's reasonable? There's a huge gap there, no? (Unless, of course, I could be totally wrong)

THIS FKING STREAM WILL NOT STAY ON FOR MORE THAN 30 SECONDS

Error: 410

Is it just me, or is Ken Ham pretty much saying since there is no known answer, the Bible is the only thing that's reasonable? There's a huge gap there, no?

He did just say that since we do not know what happened god magicing thing into existence is the most logical conclusion...(face palm) 

THIS FKING STREAM WILL NOT STAY ON FOR MORE THAN 30 SECONDS

I have this thread open, the stream, and BTC-E.com open....

Are you watching the stream? It's talking about science backing up creationism.

I'm on the way to a dinner and I'm on my phone.

You need a mountain of evidence to elevate a hypothesis to a theory in science. Gravity and Electromagnetism are examples with such an amount of evidence. Simply having some evidence backing it is not enough. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_theory

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I believe in evolution, I find it odd that a large proportion of the US still believes in creationism.

What I find most ridiculous about this debate though is that it just discusses Christian creationism, I have never seen any evidence to suggest the Christianity is the correct religion.

I find it offensive and slightly ridiculous that this debate is even happening.