Help your fellow Noob with Audio

MrPhatti

Hey how's it going!

I've been looking at a more spicy audio setup, though I personally don't know where to start. I have a few friends online who have or have had the DT770's or the DT990 Pro's, but I don't know what I really want or need. At the moment I have the Hyperx Cloud 2's which I'm not a huge fan of. I had to RMA them 2 years ago due to having short somewhere in the headset itself and I believe they sent me a refurbished pair in exchange sadly. (They don't sound the same as the first pair) I don't have a whole lot of money, but can someone recommend a pair of headphones or help me with an amp/dac? I've been eye-balling the Sound Blaster AE-9 though it does cost a little more then I want to spend. It does have an XLR port, so I personally think the price is somewhat justified with not only the XLR portion, but the audio software too. I would like to stay around the $250-300 range if possible... 

If anyone can help me out or point me in the right direction, that would be fantastic!

23 minutes ago, MrPhatti said:

It does have an XLR port

The XLR on the AE-9 is for XLR Microphones that require 48V phantom power.

image.png.35f91d4358eba14feddfe54f234cb950.png

LTT's Resident Porsche fanboy and nutjob Audiophile.

Main speaker setup is now;

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

9 minutes ago, Derkoli said:

The XLR on the AE-9 is for XLR Microphones that require 48V phantom power.

image.png.35f91d4358eba14feddfe54f234cb950.png

Yes, I understand it has the Phantom Power. I was asking is it worth getting the AE-9 with the DT990 Pro's or should I just look at a different Amp/DAC or even a different pair of headphones.

41 minutes ago, MrPhatti said:

Hey how's it going!

I've been looking at a more spicy audio setup, though I personally don't know where to start. I have a few friends online who have or have had the DT770's or the DT990 Pro's, but I don't know what I really want or need. At the moment I have the Hyperx Cloud 2's which I'm not a huge fan of. I had to RMA them 2 years ago due to having short somewhere in the headset itself and I believe they sent me a refurbished pair in exchange sadly. (They don't sound the same as the first pair) I don't have a whole lot of money, but can someone recommend a pair of headphones or help me with an amp/dac? I've been eye-balling the Sound Blaster AE-9 though it does cost a little more then I want to spend. It does have an XLR port, so I personally think the price is somewhat justified with not only the XLR portion, but the audio software too. I would like to stay around the $250-300 range if possible... 

If anyone can help me out or point me in the right direction, that would be fantastic!

What are your issues with the sound of the cloud 2's people tend to not like Beyers for how sharp they are 

4 minutes ago, rice guru said:

What are your issues with the sound of the cloud 2's people tend to not like Beyers for how sharp they are 

Just doesn't have good sound anymore, it's kind of hard to describe. The bass isn't all that. In game I can't hear anything anymore, compared to the last ones before RMA. Everything is really dimmed down and flat. I haven't changed anything on my pc in the past 4 plus years so I don't know if it's just the headset itself or I'm just going crazy. I've actually use the cloud 2's rarely anymore because I was so disappointed I just use some cheaper sony earbuds. (Which sound 100 times better.) I'm more then happy if you have any personal recommendations if you don't think the beyerdynamic's aren't the best brand/pair!

3 minutes ago, MrPhatti said:

Just doesn't have good sound anymore, it's kind of hard to describe. The bass isn't all that. In game I can't hear anything anymore, compared to the last ones before RMA. Everything is really dimmed down and flat. I haven't changed anything on my pc in the past 4 plus years so I don't know if it's just the headset itself or I'm just going crazy. I've actually use the cloud 2's rarely anymore because I was so disappointed I just use some cheaper sony earbuds. (Which sound 100 times better.) I'm more then happy if you have any personal recommendations if you don't think the beyerdynamic's aren't the best brand/pair!

Do you like a nice amount of bass? 

If so Beyers are a good choise dt770, custom studios, MMX 300 if your into headsets.i own DT 990 but they are quite sharp

9 minutes ago, rice guru said:

Do you like a nice amount of bass? 

If so Beyers are a good choise dt770, custom studios, MMX 300 if your into headsets.i own DT 990 but they are quite sharp

I like it a little higher bass, not to the point my eye-balls turn into a slot machine. If you don't mind me asking when you mean by "Quite Sharp"? I have to apologize for asking, I'm brand new to the audio world. Would you recommend going with the higher ohm? If so what should I be looking at to power them? 

33 minutes ago, MrPhatti said:

I like it a little higher bass, not to the point my eye-balls turn into a slot machine. If you don't mind me asking when you mean by "Quite Sharp"? I have to apologize for asking, I'm brand new to the audio world. Would you recommend going with the higher ohm? If so what should I be looking at to power them? 

The treble on those headphones are somewhat elevated and throw a lot of details. People with younger ears or are treble sensitive tend to not enjoy them for that reason.  It if the clouds treble didn't bother you you should be fine with the 770 or custom one pro or MMX 300, or dt880

8 minutes ago, rice guru said:

The treble on those headphones are somewhat elevated and throw a lot of details. People with younger ears or are treble sensitive tend to not enjoy them for that reason.  It if the clouds treble didn't bother you you should be fine with the 770 or custom one pro or MMX 300, or dt880

Cool! Thanks for the help. One kind of hard question. What should I use for the amp/dac or what ever I need to power them. Would you recommend getting the AE-9? If not can you point me in the direction I need to head? Sorry for all the questions...

25 minutes ago, MrPhatti said:

Cool! Thanks for the help. One kind of hard question. What should I use for the amp/dac or what ever I need to power them. Would you recommend getting the AE-9? If not can you point me in the direction I need to head? Sorry for all the questions...

If you want an all in one unit including mic line in the ae9 is pretty ok more expensive than what I would pay for it but if you want something just for the headphone a topping d10 and a JD's labs atom or a liquid spark should be fine

1 hour ago, rice guru said:

If you want an all in one unit including mic line in the ae9 is pretty ok more expensive than what I would pay for it but if you want something just for the headphone a topping d10 and a JD's labs atom or a liquid spark should be fine

Thank you so much for all the help! Now it's just figuring out what I should pick for the Amp/dac from the few you shared with me. Have a good rest of your weekend!