What are your thoughts on the 15" Surface Laptop 3?

A lot of tech reviewers seem hyped about the15" Surface Laptop 3 and I don't get why. $1500 gets you a ryzen 5 mobile chip, 8gb of ram, and only 256gb of storage. If you move up to the R7 chip, it costs you $1700, get 16gb of ram, and still only has 256gb of storage. Am I missing something, or are these laptops crazy over priced?

I mean they kept taking shots at apple, but for $1300 you can get the base MacBook pro which comes with, what looks like from my research, a more powerful cpu than anything in the surface laptop 3 line. 

8 minutes ago, Sorenson said:

Ya, way too overpriced

I just want a T420 or X220 Thinkpad with a Ryzen 5 APU

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

34 minutes ago, Sorenson said:

I mean they kept taking shots at apple, but for $1300 you can get the base MacBook pro which comes with, what looks like from my research, a more powerful cpu than anything in the surface laptop 3 line. 

Will need to wait for benchmarks to see how the 'Surface edition Ryzen' performs. 

Most the people I know that went with Surface 2 Laptops over Thinkpads or MacBooks etc., went with it because of the screen aspect ratio (and the Surface laptop has never represented a good cost-performance value).

2 hours ago, WWicket said:

Will need to wait for benchmarks to see how the 'Surface edition Ryzen' performs. 

Most the people I know that went with Surface 2 Laptops over Thinkpads or MacBooks etc., went with it because of the screen aspect ratio (and the Surface laptop has never represented a good cost-performance value).

Its a great looking laptop but it carries more of a price premium then the apple products it competes with. I'm definitely its target audience, since I like good looking devices that are at least moderately powerful. However, what you get for $1700 is laughable. Especially when it has competition like the new Razer blade stealth with a 1650 in it. Too bad OEM windows laptop companies can't get their act together with the screens they put in their devices. Dell is the only company that I know of besides microsoft that puts great screens in consumer windows devices.  

it's more like premium laptop like macbook. is not about the performance but the aesthetic or design. yeah still over price.

Spec: Macbook Air 2017    

ProcessorPU: ii5 (I5-5350U |    

| RAM: 8GB LPDDR3 |

| Storage: 128GB SSD 

| GPU: Intel HD 6000 |

| Audio: JBL 450BT Wireless Headset |