Home network

drunk_donkey

I will start by saying that I know absolutely nothing about network. So it's look like a huge project for me. 

I want to setup a wire network for my home since my baseground is in a remodeling phase. 

I would start from my hub 3000 router include with my virgin plan. Then next to a unmanaged switch since the seem easier to setup. I would install double port wall plate in almost all room so about 8 wall plate . 

I would maybe install a media server but not right now more of a future project.

What would be a nice budget switch to buy ? any brand to stay away or the are all good? 

Do I miss something in my setup ? 

Thanks 

That seems reasonable to me if you don't need anything weird or fancy.  The provided modem is fine if it's giving you sufficient speed, and you can expand the number of ports available with a simple switch.  Should be $50 or less unless you need a crazy number of ports.  Then just a bunch of cable and go to work.  With a setup like that, there's not really anything technical to do in terms of configuration, etc.  it's just a physical job of actually running the wire.

One recommendation would be to install Cat 6A or better so you're set for 10 Gbit.  It's starting to catch on and in 5 or 10 years you'll really wish you had done it if you don't, especially since I doubt the cost is even significantly different.

As for brands, personally I would avoid D-link at all costs.  We've tried two different products from them (a router and a webcam) and been extremely disappointed in both and ended up returning them shortly thereafter, but that's just a sample size of one so take that as you will.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

9 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

As for brands, personally I would avoid D-link at all costs.  We've tried two different products from them (a router and a webcam) and been extremely disappointed in both and ended up returning them shortly thereafter, but that's just a sample size of one so take that as you will.

I agree with the D-link advice tho.

Personally I had good experiences with Cisco/linksys and TP-link stuff.

Netgear has been a mixed bag for me, some of the stuff was good and some were trash.

Same goes for 6A, might seem like a waste of money now but futureproofing is important here. The last thing you want is ripping everything out and re-doing it all in a few years because the cables aren't good enough.

If you care about wi-fi, ubiquiti is the way to go, can be a nice addition to a solid wired network but even tho ubiquiti is imo very good, it will never beat a snakey boi (aka an ethernet cable).

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

Like Ryan_Vickers has said if your budget allows it look into Cat6A. Even if you don't have a use for 10Gig right now it will give the home higher resale value.

For switches I can recommend Ubiquiti. They make some consumer level gear. I haven't heard massive complaints about Netgear either so you can look into them as well. Do make sure whatever switch you buy is rated for gigabit (10/100/1000). There's a lot of switches still for sale today that only do 100mbit (10/100). This will bottleneck you significantly if you accidentally pick up one of those instead.

Beyond this pick the one that fits your budget. Also do make sure whatever switch you buy doesn't actually say hub. A hub isn't the same as a switch. They work differently. You don't want one. Would it work? Yes, but you still don't want one.

Yeah definitely avoid hubs and anything that's less than gigabit.  If you're wondering, hubs work by blasting any incoming signal to all other connected devices blindly, causing a lot of unnecessary traffic and collisions on the network.  Switches intelligently pass the data to the correct device only, and thus will perform better.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

I find this one at 127 they say it's an easy smart switch (I don't know what it mean) 

TP-Link TL-SG1024DE 24-Port Gigabit Easy Smart Switch with 24 10/100/1000 Mbps RJ45 Ports, MTU/Port/Tag-Based VLAN, QoS and IGMP https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00CUG8ESM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_bYOLDbHSK277W

Or this one at 106$ 

TP-Link TL-SG1024D 10/100/1000Mbps 24-Port Gigabit 13-inch Desktop/ Rackmountable Switch, 48Gbps Capacity https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B004ELA5W4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_2jQLDb2JKKGK5

I look for the ubiquity but it's seem out of my budget right now . 

17 minutes ago, drunk_donkey said:

I find this one at 127 they say it's an easy smart switch (I don't know what it mean) 

TP-Link TL-SG1024DE 24-Port Gigabit Easy Smart Switch with 24 10/100/1000 Mbps RJ45 Ports, MTU/Port/Tag-Based VLAN, QoS and IGMP https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00CUG8ESM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_bYOLDbHSK277W

Or this one at 106$ 

TP-Link TL-SG1024D 10/100/1000Mbps 24-Port Gigabit 13-inch Desktop/ Rackmountable Switch, 48Gbps Capacity https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B004ELA5W4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_2jQLDb2JKKGK5

I look for the ubiquity but it's seem out of my budget right now .

Holy crap, do you need 24 ports?  I guess we never went over that but I was thinking it was going to be more like 5 or 8

34 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Holy crap, do you need 24 ports?  I guess we never went over that but I was thinking it was going to be more like 5 or 8

Right now no I don't need 24

I will have 2 computer, a steam link, a Nvidia shield, 2 printer , 

Somebody recommend to put 2 wire by room. So thats why I was looking at a 24 but I could buy smaller and upgrade later if a need bigger 

3 minutes ago, drunk_donkey said:

Right now no I don't need 24

I will have 2 computer, a steam link, a Nvidia shield, 2 printer , 

Somebody recommend to put 2 wire by room. So thats why I was looking at a 24 but I could buy smaller and upgrade later if a need bigger 

My thinking is that if you go ahead with the 10 gig Cat 6A cable, you'll be set in that regard for a good decade at least, which is good for something that requires renovations to upgrade.  The switch on the other hand is relatively easy to swap out, and 10 Gbit switches, particularly high port count ones, are rather expensive for now.  Therefore, I would recommend getting a switch to suit your current needs (1 Gbit, ~8 port), and much later when you have more devices, and when they cost less, you could get a 24 port 10 Gbit switch.  If you get anything less than the full port count and speed now, you'll have to upgrade later anyway, so to get anything more than you need now, knowing you'll upgrade down the line, seems unnecessary to me.  It's up to you though, based on what you think you'll use and need in the short term.

4 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

My thinking is that if you go ahead with the 10 gig Cat 6A cable, you'll be set in that regard for a good decade at least, which is good for something that requires renovations to upgrade.  The switch on the other hand is relatively easy to swap out, and 10 Gbit switches, particularly high port count ones, are rather expensive for now.  Therefore, I would recommend getting a switch to suit your current needs (1 Gbit, ~8 port), and much later when you have more devices, and when they cost less, you could get a 24 port 10 Gbit switch.  If you get anything less than the full port count and speed now, you'll have to upgrade later anyway, so to get anything more than you need now, knowing you'll upgrade down the line, seems unnecessary to me.  It's up to you though, based on what you think you'll use and need in the short term.

Very nice thank you very much for your time 

For the wire is there a huge difference between 28awg vs 23awg ? 

I find 500ft for 90$ cad of 28 awg on primecable or 500 ft of shielded 23 awg for 144 $ on Amazon ? 

42 minutes ago, drunk_donkey said:

For the wire is there a huge difference between 28awg vs 23awg ? 

I find 500ft for 90$ cad of 28 awg on primecable or 500 ft of shielded 23 awg for 144 $ on Amazon ? 

I would stick with 23 awg since that's what the TIA/EIA spec officially calls for with any Cat6 cable.

One thing to triple check is that the product explicitly calls out that it's PURE copper and NOT copper clad aluminum (CCA).

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

So I already order a tplink 8port switch. 

For the wire I think I will go with this one . Plus the keystone Jack from Amazon. 

I will put double keystone wall plate with 1gang low box 

Do I miss something or it seem complete ? 

Screenshot_20191008-131522.png

Screenshot_20191008-131604.png

Screenshot_20191008-135612.png