Looking for a way to store cables in easy to grab way

PeachyUwUSenpai

I have alot of unused power cables Ethernet HDMI micro USB and more cables. I was wondering if any one knew of good wire storage hanger or some way of storing them so they are easily grabable and don't take up to much space currently I'm just hanging some on screws but a better option would be perffered (sorry if this is wrong fourm section)

4 minutes ago, Senzelian said:

There are these magnetic cable clips. Maybe that would work for you?

s-l300.jpg

But when it comes to pure storage, then simply rolling them up and bundling them together with velcro straps is the best solution.

Thanks for bringing those to my attention kek, I might buy some lol

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

13 minutes ago, Senzelian said:

There are these magnetic cable clips.

But when it comes to pure storage, then simply rolling them up and bundling them together with velcro straps is the best solution.

Either of these options are infinitely better than my current solution.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

47 minutes ago, Senzelian said:

s-l300.jpg

Thoose are pretty awesome thell work good for the small cables. I'm guessing there isn't a version for computer power cables thoose tend to be my biggest issue. I'd personally prefer if there was some sort of straight cable hanger instead of having to bundle the bigger ones since I tend to have to grab for them alot and then put them back again

I have my highschool football duffelbag converted over to a "PUT ALL THE CABLES HERE" container.  Its a mess.  I hate it.  Let me know if you all find a good solution here.

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

I have an idea 9 drawer thing full of cables plus a few other things around. I bundle them up and strap them together. Label the drawers and you are good to go. 

currently my cable stuff for my charger and other stuff is routed through a few lego pieces taped to my desk in a bunch of V/Us

Don't forget to use the "Quote" feature or mention me ( @Gegger) if you want me to see your reply!

Community Standards // Forum Quickstart Guide // Floatplane // Forum FAQ // The Parrot Gang
Banned by Linus in the "banning game" thread who added insult to injury by putting this crap in my sig >(

WE ARE THE DARK SIDE Don't be a light theme peasant

Spoiler

........:oo:........

o//ssssssssyhhysssss+////o               .''''''''''''''. 

mddmmm/::ddddddddddddddmmmyss::/mmN       |   PARTY ON   |

o..+oodddmmmhhhhhhhhhhhdmmmmmdddooy       | ,............'

h::oyyhddmmm+++///////////++++++mmmddy::s  |/

Nyyo[[sddhyyyyy::::::::::::::::::::yyymmh//oyym

h..:oohmm+:://///::::////////////////+mmmmms..sNN

m++sddmmm+::hddhhy::+ddddddddddddddhhhmmmmmdhh+++d

Nsssyyhmmhssooodmmhhh::+mmdyyyyyyyyddddddmmmmmmmmo::d

mmd../mmmmmo::shhdmmhhh::+mmhooooooooyhhmmmmmmmmmmmyssdmm

+++++smmdddo::///dmmhhh::+mmhooooooooooommmmmddddmmmdd/++m

``+hhhmmhoo/:::::oooooossymmhooooooooyyymmdoooooydddmmo//N

++:mmmmmy:::::::::::::/yyhmmhooooooooyhhmmd:::::+yyhmmyssddd

ooommmmmy:::::::::::::://ommhooooooooooommd:::::://shhdmm+..

yyhmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyyymmd::::::::/++hmm+//

dddmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyhhddh:::::::::::hmmysshhd

mmmmmdhhs::::::::::::::::+mmhoooooooohhhhhy:::::::::::hmmhhh``+

mmmmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmdhhsooooodmm++/:::::::::::hmmsss``+

dddmmhoo+::::::::::::::::+dddddyssyyydmm::::::::::::::hmmsoo++o

dddmmdhho::::::::::::::::+hhdmmddddmmmmm::::::::::::::hmmsooNNN

mmmmmh///::::::::::::::::+hhdmmmmmmmmddd::::::::::::::hmmsoo++/

yyhmmdss+::::::::::::::::/ooydddmmmmmsoo::::::::::::::yddhyy::+

++ommmmmy:::::::::::::::::::ohhdmmddd/::::::::::::::::shhdmmsssNNNmmN

..+mmmmmy:::::::::::::::::::://shh+//:::::::::::::::::://dmmmmdoo+..o

``+dddmmhss+:::::::::::::::::::+++/::::::::::::::::::::::ooodddhhysshNNy++m ``+hhdmmdhhs///:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::yyymmmmmmmmo++hNNmdd ``+hhdmmdhhhhh+:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::/hhhhhdmmmmmsoo... ``+ddmmmdhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyo:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+++++sdddmmdhhsss//+ ``+mmmmmhsshhhhhhhhhhhhhhy++/:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+ssyyydmmddd///hhd ``+mmmmmy::shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhs:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::ymmmmmmmh../ ``+mmmmmy:://////////////ohhhyy+::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::///hddmmmhhs++s ``+mmmmmhssssssssssssssssydddddysssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssdddmmmmmy::s ``+mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmhooh

I have a couple of small plastic boxes to store my cables.  One for everything USB-related, one for display cables, one for power and ethernet cables and one for audio cables.

Here's the USB one.  The others are the same size, apart from the audio one which is slightly less than half as big.

Spoiler

800347375_BoxoCables.jpg.69269002ba98d65996b07b0310711b7a.jpg

I did throw away a bunch of 3.0 USB-A -> micro-B cables earlier this year, but still have a dozen or so left.  That's also a way to keep things in check. 

Cables that I regularly use to charge my phone, tablet, MP3 player etc are permanently attached to an Aukey charger that is taped to the underside of my desk.  I added a plastic cable holder next to it, so that the cables are somewhat managed. 

Spoiler

258817298_DeskCharger.jpg.a451b81a870793f00c38edba51fe8726.jpg

168585562_DeskCharger2.jpg.8a31fe577756af43934e322544fa0d70.jpg

No idea what brand or model the cable holder is, or even where I got the two that I have.  The angle fits perfectly.

I did specifically buy these cables for that purpose, which is why they are all white and all 50cm long. 

And then there's the bag of cables and adapters that I keep in my backpack.  All of the white USB cables are 0.5m and should cover just about every situation. 

The blue USB3 extension cable on the right is 1m.  Not going to go into detail on the rest of the contents here, unless there is enough demand.  

Spoiler

1073759522_BagoCables.jpg.679c29704a615e3121287ff38ff0c4f1.jpg

If you're interested in the bag itself, just do an Ebay search for "Cable organizer bag" and you'll see plenty of them pop up. 

As with the cables on my desk, most of these were bought specifically for use in this kit.  I just didn't want to bother with mismatched cables of various lengths.

8 hours ago, Senzelian said:

s-l300.jpg

You can also store them in zip-lock freezer plastic bags, that will keep them from getting tangled. Ideal is getting the anti-static bags.

Basically there are two good solutions:

a) Zap-strap/velcro/hair-ties, these are good for cables that are reused frequently. With the zap-straps or hair ties you use on smaller cables to form a slightly-taught grip. You're not supposed to cut the zap-straps, just slide them off.

b) Plastic bags for "cables+brick" types of cables, and cables that are too thick to use velcro/zapstrap/ties on. The purpose of the bag is to reduce the amount of area it takes up and keep identical cables from getting tangled. 

So with the freezer bags, you can just use a sharpie and mark down what it's for and put them vertically in a box, and then search them like they were a hanging file, or even put them in a filing cabinet.

9 hours ago, Alaradia said:

I'm just hanging some on screws but a better option would be perffered (sorry if this is wrong fourm section)

a little mod clipping with magnets helps too

I keep a selection of cables (like 1 of each: power, usb, HDMI, ethernet) I might need often on one of these in the closet. 

image.png.7164b6917a22bd1ea5352be0c0a8ba27.png

For storage of the other stuff, I use a big plastic box (the kind you get to store ornaments or whatever in) and have them sorted into bags in it, like USB cables, ethernet cables, firewire, weird-cables-that-I'll-need-the-moment-I-throw-them-away, etc...

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

🍎 iPad Air2; iPhone SE 2020; iPhone 5s; AppleTV 4k 🍎

On 9/26/2019 at 4:31 PM, Tristerin said:

Its a mess.  I hate it.  Let me know if you all find a good solution here.

Sort the different types of cables into bags..just shopping bags or ziplock, and keep those in your duffel. 

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

🍎 iPad Air2; iPhone SE 2020; iPhone 5s; AppleTV 4k 🍎