Keep or switch ? Is Alienware 17 R3 a bad laptop ?

alexdpars

Hi guys,
I have quite a bit of a dilemma right now with my PC. I own an alienware 17 R3 i7 6700hq GTX 970M that I upgraded to 32 GB(2400mz) of ram and added a samsung 970pro 512 GB to it 6 month ago.

I am a programmer and a casual gamer and over the past few years i've been happy with this machine it was rock solid and didn't had to move it much (was at work most of the time). For the past few months i'v been moving the laptop a lot more from work to home and vice versa and I noticed couple of issues. Sometimes the computer won't go to sleep when I close the lid and when I open it back up the computer won't come back wich force me to close it by holding the button and it is really annoying for me and non productive. My laptop is kind of mission critical to me when it comes to productivity when I need it I need it fast and I need it to work. I also like to fire a game on lunch time without having me to close nearly all of my applications to be able to play and lately i've had issues to play few games like CS:GO I have good framerates (over 100 most of the time) but the game sometimes still freeze (few milisecond enought to be noticable) not sure if it is a frame drops or cpu related issues.

My overall experience was ruined since Intel security patch BIOS (which I did). My code build times almost doubled sinces then I got loadings sometimes in visual studio and I think my gaming issues are related to that. The pc run really hot fan spin a lot especially when gaming.

I tried to resolve the issues but no luck so far. I replaced the whole heatsink and fans, upgraded the pcm followed instructions from the web to resolve the lid issue but no luck so far.

I am considering switching my laptop I am really deceived by my alienware I hoped it would last at least two more years unless you guys come with a solutions.

I have a budget of 3k-3.5k CAD I want somthing thin, light and powerful. i'd like to have an i9 since my work heavily depends on CPU but it seems that it come at high price.

I am considering the folowing laptops:

Razer blade 15 with i7-9750H 
I like this laptop but it doesn't have expension NVME slots (to put my 970pro in it) and i'd have to upgrade it to 32GB of ram since it's not offer with it directly from razer. Do you know if an i9 version will be available in the future?

XPS 15 with i9 9980hk
I owned an XPS 15 L521X it was a strong machine until it was liquid damage but I wasn't quite able to game with it it was an horrible experience. IDK about nvme slots but ince it have aleready 2TB of it i'm not worried. And it doesn't seems to be available in canada yet.

The zenbook pro duo  i9 9980hk(reviewed by linus lately)
This one like really powerful and useful to me I like the idea of putting my tools on the second screen to free space for code on the main screen or being able to see my mail and slack messages while I am playing. However this model is not available in canada yet and over my budget (4k + CAD ?)

My main question is will I see major performance boost from i9 9980hk compared to i7-9750H ? I am making and using programs that are heavyly cpu dependent.

Main System: Ryzen 9 3900X, ASUS ROG Strix X570-I Gaming AM4, G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB CL16, GTX 1070 Zotac, Lian Li TU-150, 1X Samsung 970 Pro 512GB NVME SSD and 1X WD Blue SN550 NVME SSD, Fractal Design Ion SFX 650G 80 PLUS Gold Certified 650W Full Modular SFX-L Power

Server: 2X Xeon X5670 @2.93 GHZ, Asus Z8NA-D6, PIKE RAID Card DDR3 1333mhz 48GB of ram, 1X 1TB crucial sata SSD, 1X4TB HDD 1X3TB HDD

Laptop: Alienware 17 R3 6700HQ, 32GB RAM DDR4 2400MHZ, PM951 NVME SSD, GTX 970M

Peripherals: G910 Logitech Keyboard,Logitech G935 Headset, Logitech G502 lightspeed mouse, DELL 32 inch S3220GGF 165hz freesync