Build Micro-ITX Gaming (144Hz)

Hey guys

I´m building a new PC for my best friend, he moves every 2 month so he requested some Micro-ATX case. He liked a odd design, as u can see, the case is pretty old "didn´t know it even exist".

He is buy the parts piece by piece since we are in a "start new year" school we have alote discount´s in some stores. Simple example, Intel i7 9700K are at 220$.

Here is what "I had" in mind since he requestes this case! U guys are the PRO´s so please confirme to me if its a smart choose respecting the case.

1 x Case Micro-ATX BitFenix Phenom M P
1 x Fan BitFenix Spectre Pro Branco 230mm 
3 x Fan be quiet! Silent Wings 3 High-Speed 120mm 
1 x Cooler CPU be quiet! Dark Rock TF 
1 x CPU Intel Core i7 9700K 8-Core (3.6GHz-4.9GHz) 12MB Skt1151 
1 x Motherboard MSI MAG Z390M MORTAR 
1 x G.Skill Kit 16GB (2 X 8GB) DDR4 3600MHz CL17
1 x Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut (1g)
1 x PSU Modular Seasonic Focus+ 750W 80+ Gold
1 x SSD Kingston A2000 1TB M.2 NVMe 2280
1 x GPU Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER Gaming OC 8GB GD6 
1 x Monitor Asus 27" VG278Q FreeSync 144Hz 1ms 

Note: The CPU, GPU and Monitor had a 20% off discount. In case of the GPU he gets the new COD for free from what I saw.

I know the 750W PSU is overkill BUT they don´t have any 650W at stock!

BTW the motherboards are almost all out of stock, I forgot to put a damn Wifi :S ups...

He is paying almost 2000$ for this setup.

Is it good "cooled" and can he handle OC to 5.0Ghz on that board/cooler and case?!

Thermals and board is something that worries me!

Thanks alote

Big hugs and LOVE.

5 minutes ago, JaySDelta said:

He is buy the parts piece by piece

Really not a good idea.

Just start with an AM4 APU system, then add a dedicated card whenever the money for it comes in. an RX 5700 is just about the best value GPU right now, as it's just a cheaper 2070 basically.

But what did he already buy? Just the case? That case also has relatively poor airflow if he hasn't bought it yet.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

3 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Really not a good idea.

Just start with an AM4 APU system, then add a dedicated card whenever the money for it comes in. an RX 5700 is just about the best value GPU right now, as it's just a cheaper 2070 basically.

But what did he already buy? Just the case? That case also has relatively poor airflow if he hasn't bought it yet.

And old too, didn´t know but it has so many years. He could easy go with the new Lian Li TU150, even smaller and better airflow case in the market.

Well he plays on Ultra Details at 144Hz, pretty sure that Rx 5700 won´t handle many demanding games as such Ghost Recon and others that he is addicted to play.

I get what u mean and I share the same idea.

He will have the case "open" at the side so, maybe thats a good idea for OC? Not sure how that "pressure and airflow" works.

He owns the Case, Intel (was very cheap since even a normal 3600 costs more), the GPU since it comes with a damn game that he loves and thats it... nothing else I guess...

At the end he bought 3 things at moment... 

Any good ideas? :P 

Good that u share the same as I did, maybe if ht has the open case thing it helps. I suggested him that cooler, not sure If I did correct ?

I think he rushed on the case because the Lian Li only will be avaliabel in 1 month or so!

Thanks for ur wisdom, always welcome!

34 minutes ago, JaySDelta said:

Go for the EVGA micro ATX board most likely.

If you're leaving the side panel off of the case then you don't need the extra fans, don't worry about the extra 4 pin CPU connector.

And most likely just go for a 660p SSD, can also get a 500GB SSD with a 2 or 4TB hard drive and use SSD caching to kind of get a 2/4TB "SSD"
https://de.pcpartpicker.com/product/K6Jtt6/intel-660p-1-tb-m2-2280-nvme-solid-state-drive-ssdpeknw010t801

https://de.pcpartpicker.com/product/tmF48d/evga-z370-micro-atx-micro-atx-lga1151-motherboard-121-ks-e375-kr

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

17 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Go for the EVGA micro ATX board most likely.

If you're leaving the side panel off of the case then you don't need the extra fans, don't worry about the extra 4 pin CPU connector.

And most likely just go for a 660p SSD, can also get a 500GB SSD with a 2 or 4TB hard drive and use SSD caching to kind of get a 2/4TB "SSD"
https://de.pcpartpicker.com/product/K6Jtt6/intel-660p-1-tb-m2-2280-nvme-solid-state-drive-ssdpeknw010t801

https://de.pcpartpicker.com/product/tmF48d/evga-z370-micro-atx-micro-atx-lga1151-motherboard-121-ks-e375-kr

A question: Can he invert the case? I mean, 180º? Would be funny.

Having 2 intakes from bottom (to GPU), 1 outake to rare (140mm) and 1 230mm outake on the top of the case? 

That way he wouldn´t need the case open right? Or he can cut some holes in the case too (maybe)... just saying, what could he possible improve the mod?

Otherwise, isn´t the PSU overkill?

Thats a great MB, gona suggest it right away.

As for SSD, yes I had the Idea that Intel would be better but the dude in the store said that Kingston would be better (:O)

SSD M.2 can he use it as cache?!

20 minutes ago, JaySDelta said:

Doesn't really matter if the PSU is overkill assuming it's a good price for it.

You'd have to like start cutting hole for fans in the front of the case if you want to easily improve the airflow. Or just put 2 fans in the top mesh and it should be mostly fine.

If he doesn't mind leaving the side panel off that's just the cheapest solution.

I think Linus covers other SSD caching solutions here. There's a lot of software that you can use to do it. Some free, some not. It's even built into windows 10 as an option

Also you don't need a key to install or use windows 10, or you can get keys from ebay for $5.

The 660p is easily the best SSD for the money right now. looks like it has a better solution for keeping it fast when the driver is more full.

Spoiler

24 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Doesn't really matter if the PSU is overkill assuming it's a good price for it.

You'd have to like start cutting hole for fans in the front of the case if you want to easily improve the airflow. Or just put 2 fans in the top mesh and it should be mostly fine.

If he doesn't mind leaving the side panel off that's just the cheapest solution.

I think Linus covers other SSD caching solutions here. There's a lot of software that you can use to do it. Some free, some not. It's even built into windows 10 as an option

Also you don't need a key to install or use windows 10, or you can get keys from ebay for $5.

The 660p is easily the best SSD for the money right now. looks like it has a better solution for keeping it fast when the driver is more full.

1) Well the Intel 660p is 10€ less then Kingston, so should he go for it? Speeds seems lower but again, Im noob at it!

2) Motherboard isn´t available at store, but he as this one: Asus TUF Z390M-Pro Gaming (Wi-Fi)    MSI and others are out of stock util next 30 days (LOL);

3) U are a very helpfully guy, I thank u for that! I have Windows 10 Pro (copy´s for free since Im a Doctor, we have it from the tech department for free) if u need one, I can give u one;

4) The case, he can open the bottom more, I even have a plan to cut perfectly the bottom to a size of the 230mm. I can drill some holes creating some design at the side of the panel, but again is that cooler good for "Overclocking" the CPU? 

5) Again, case, as intake, do u think it´s a good idea having a high-end intake from the top inside? 2x 120mm. For the rear one I have a 140mm that I can give him for free.

What do u recommend? Any think is welcome, I love to mod the case :P

6) Overall, do u believe after a little modding the case CAN handle Overclock and stability and at the end if needed (he can open the side panel) but would be better if not) but as last resort, why not? Any-case I can drill holes, not sure were but I can ;) for example some large holes right in front of the "FAN" outtake of the cooler itself! or will it hurt?

7) Instante of a 230mm, maybe 2x 140mm (Silent Wings 3 High Speed 140mm) as outtake?

Thanks for ur reply, im counting on u ;) U are the only helping me out here :S 

1 hour ago, JaySDelta said:

I suppose I could always use a spare windows 10 key.

As for the rest, it just depends on what you guys want to do, just try putting 2 fans in the top to start with and see how the thermals are with side panels on. More than likely it'll be fine with just that.

Spoiler

20 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

I suppose I could always use a spare windows 10 key.

As for the rest, it just depends on what you guys want to do, just try putting 2 fans in the top to start with and see how the thermals are with side panels on. More than likely it'll be fine with just that.

Sure.

I PM u when I have one. Gona ask for one this weak!

BTW Does the motherboard be good enough for a fight to 5.0GHz? :P   thats kinda our target, to get there stable... or atleast 4.9GHz.

34 minutes ago, JaySDelta said:

Sure.

I PM u when I have one. Gona ask for one this weak!

BTW Does the motherboard be good enough for a fight to 5.0GHz? :P   thats kinda our target, to get there stable... or atleast 4.9GHz.

Pretty much any of them with a decent VRM should be fine for 5ghz, 5.2 is where things start to get difficult, but that just depends on your CPU's quality.

Spoiler

33 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Pretty much any of them with a decent VRM should be fine for 5ghz, 5.2 is where things start to get difficult, but that just depends on your CPU's quality.

I will be happy if I reach 5.0GHz with good temps. I guess gonna post here next weak the tweaks and show of that build.

Later I PM with a key of Win 10 Pro (US-us)