Powerbeats pro, airpods or something else?

I want to get some new headphones due to Apples removal of the 3.5 jack. So what are the best earphones to grab? I am used to in the past Sony earbuds and fins them very comfortable. As such I think I would like the rubber eartips of the powerbeats pro.

Also, what is the delay like when watching video etc? Hopefully not noticable.

I like Sony. even my cheap JBL. isn't shown any delay except when heavy gaming.

Spec: Macbook Air 2017    

ProcessorPU: ii5 (I5-5350U |    

| RAM: 8GB LPDDR3 |

| Storage: 128GB SSD 

| GPU: Intel HD 6000 |

| Audio: JBL 450BT Wireless Headset |

1 hour ago, Phill104 said:

I want to get some new headphones due to Apples removal of the 3.5 jack. So what are the best earphones to grab? I am used to in the past Sony earbuds and fins them very comfortable. As such I think I would like the rubber eartips of the powerbeats pro.

Also, what is the delay like when watching video etc? Hopefully not noticable.

It depends on how you use them.

Powerbeats Pro are supposed to be great, but you have to like that hooked design and accept that the charging case will be on the big side.  They're best-suited to gym use.  You shouldn't see significant video lag, though, and the quality is supposed to be good (though not stellar) even if you're not into beat-heavy music.

AirPods are fine and much more portable, but they won't sound as good and aren't always stable in people's ears (they wouldn't stay in mine, for example).

If you want third-party options, Sony's new WI-1000XM2s (behind-the-neck style earbuds) or WF-1000XM3 (all-wireless) should be great choices.  Jabra also has its Elite 75t.

49 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Maybe the Samsung Buds? Reputed to be better than Airpods but of course it works best with Android phone and wont be as intuitive to use as something made specifically for Apple devices.

No.  Never.  The Galaxy Buds suffer quite a bit when they're not paired with a Samsung phone, even on Android.  That includes significant video lag.

i have both the airpods gen 2 and powerbeats pro, the powerbeats pro are a lot better then airpods imo they have been amazing for me and arent strictly tied to one ecosystem so can use on both iPhone and Android

i7 12700k/Asus Tuf z690/32GB Corsair Dominator RGB 3200MHZ/EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra/Samsung 980 Pro 1TB/Asus 2540x1440p 165hz Gsync/Acer 2560x1440p G Sync 144hz

5 hours ago, Commodus said:

It depends on how you use them.

Powerbeats Pro are supposed to be great, but you have to like that hooked design and accept that the charging case will be on the big side.  They're best-suited to gym use.  You shouldn't see significant video lag, though, and the quality is supposed to be good (though not stellar) even if you're not into beat-heavy music.

AirPods are fine and much more portable, but they won't sound as good and aren't always stable in people's ears (they wouldn't stay in mine, for example).

If you want third-party options, Sony's new WI-1000XM2s (behind-the-neck style earbuds) or WF-1000XM3 (all-wireless) should be great choices.  Jabra also has its Elite 75t.

I think I may wait for the 75t to become available as they look great

Both Sennheiser and Bang and Olfson make fantastic wireless buds. Though for roughly the same price you also look into the Sony, Bose and Bowers and Wilkins over the ear wireless noise cancelling headphones. I personally prefer the Bowers for over the ear and Bang and Olfson for the pods. Shame everytime a wireless headphone review comes out they ignore B&W.

Depends on your use case, I use airpods but I am sitting at my desk in work 40 hours a week. If I was going to the gym or exercising regularly I'd probably go for the powerbeats. Dont buy galaxy buds, I tried them and they suck

10 hours ago, Radioactive Snowman said:

Depends on your use case, I use airpods but I am sitting at my desk in work 40 hours a week. If I was going to the gym or exercising regularly I'd probably go for the powerbeats. Dont buy galaxy buds, I tried them and they suck

I would be wearing them out while hiking with the photography gear. I liked the look of the Powerbeats because they seem less likely to fall off in a bush when I am clambering through etc. Some of the other options seem great too after looking at reviews. 

1 hour ago, Phill104 said:

I would be wearing them out while hiking with the photography gear. I liked the look of the Powerbeats because they seem less likely to fall off in a bush when I am clambering through etc. Some of the other options seem great too after looking at reviews. 

I’d recommend Powerbeats over AirPods then, AirPods aren’t that secure in your ears 

18 hours ago, Phill104 said:

Gonna echo Radioactive Snowman's rec, you want stability, sweat resistance and, importantly, something you could find in the woods in the off-chance it does fall out of your ear!

On 9/20/2019 at 4:14 PM, Commodus said:

Gonna echo Radioactive Snowman's rec, you want stability, sweat resistance and, importantly, something you could find in the woods in the off-chance it does fall out of your ear!

On 9/19/2019 at 10:31 PM, Radioactive Snowman said:

I’d recommend Powerbeats over AirPods then, AirPods aren’t that secure in your ears 

Thanks for the advice. I tried in a shop some Jabra 65t and they did sound great but a couple of quick keys and it was obvious I was going to loose them. Same for the Sony, fantastic sound and the noise cancelling was superb. They didn’t have the Sony behind the neck ones in any shop near me so couldn’t see those. I chatted to the chap in one shop about the sennheiser and he said they had a few returns with battery issues so he could not recommend them. I believed him as he knew I would go a few shops away and get the Powerbeats.

So now armed with the Powerbeats Pro and they are very good. Not quite as load as my old wired Sony earbuds and surprisingly given Powerbeats reputation, less powerful bass. I found them a little fiddly at first to fit but I am getting used to that. It is also wonderful to not be tied to a wire. As for lag with video, none noticeable whatsoever. A couple of years back I bought some Bluetooth JBL earbuds on a ferry for silly Captive audiences price (I had lost my own earbuds) and regretted it after a few minutes use. The delay was terrible making video unwatchable, the sound quality pants and the battery life awful. That experience put me off wireless but my faith is now restored.

I use a pair of Samsung Active earphones here, and with the use of AptX, audio delay is minimal. Audio quality is meh, but out and about, it's not notably bad. Water resistance is nice.

Though iPhones lack AptX, so it probably won't be quite3 as good for iPhones.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

14 hours ago, Mickey Mouse said:

All are overpriced.

I totally agree. I bet the markup is massive. When you can buy, admittedly not very good, Bluetooth earbuds for under £15 and also very good wired earbuds for £20 it says a lot. 

Lol buying beats or airpods in my opinion are bad ideas. I think any product that has a good quality but is extremely overpriced due to them knowing people will buy them for their brand is not worth the plastic their made up of. I prefer marshal for stereo stuff, jaybird for exercise, and sony for casual use. Sony is just the tech corporation I like. Good phones, stereo, films etc.