WD Elements 4tb desktop weird whirrr/grinding sounds

Mango321678

Hi, I bought this 4tb WD elements desktop external hard drive from amazon and got it yesterday. I have moved 550gb of data on it already and in that aspect it works for now but it makes strange noises which my old Samsung 2tb D3 station didn't make. Here is a youtube video I made of the sound when disconnecting(it also grinds a little bit when starting up). Should I return it or is it normal? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e05QhGcU6Y4

https://www.amazon.co.uk/WD-Elements-Desktop-External-Drive/dp/B00JT8AJZ0/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=wd+4tb&qid=1568281361&s=gateway&sr=8-5

Okay. Dude NEVER disconnect a spinning drive from the power source without shutting it down. You have caused more wear and tear on the drive in that single video than most people do in 50 boots/shutdowns. That is extremely bad for the drive and can kill it.

Secondly, you're hearing normal spin-up and work noises. Nothing weird. As long as the smart chart is not spitting out errors, you're fine. And you have warranty

But seriously, stop abusing it like that.

16 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

Okay. Dude NEVER disconnect a spinning drive from the power source without shutting it down. You have caused more wear and tear on the drive in that single video than most people do in 50 boots/shutdowns. That is extremely bad for the drive and can kill it.

Secondly, you're hearing normal spin-up and work noises. Nothing weird. As long as the smart chart is not spitting out errors, you're fine. And you have warranty

But seriously, stop abusing it like that.

Alright, thanks