How would I make a 3d model

prolemur

I'm not talking about those fancy new 3d models with thousands of polygons, I'm thinking of something with less than a thousand triangles.

What is a good program for these 3d models, both were low and high if I were to then add more polys to the model?

Thanks, I'm just trying this out

use that google renderer thingy, forgot the name but you can use it in chrome

Autodesk Maya is what I use. 

P.S. It is going tot take some time before you can whip out a solid 3D model. You will need to watch tutorials and what not.

Blender. It's outstanding for a free program, and has much of the basic and some advanced functionality of expensive programs. 

Then look up tutorials and work your way up. 

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

Blender. It's outstanding for a free program, and has much of the basic and some advanced functionality of expensive programs. 

Then look up tutorials and work your way up. 

I was thinking about using blender as that is what the tutorial I want to follow is using : http://cg.tutsplus.com/tutorials/blender/modeling-uvmapping-and-texturing-a-low-poly-t-rex-in-blender-part-1/

use that google renderer thingy, forgot the name but you can use it in chrome

Are you thinking of Google SketchUp? My wife uses and likes it.

My rig: 2600k(4.2 GHz) w/ Cooler Master hyper 212+, Gigabyte Z68-UD3H-B3, Powercolor 7870 xt(1100/1500) w/AIO mod,

8GB DDR3 1600, 120GB Kingston HyperX 3K SSD, 1TB Seagate, Antec earthwatts 430, NZXT H2

Verified max overclock, just for kicks: http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2609399

Are you thinking of Google SketchUp? My wife uses and likes it.

yep that's it

autodesk 123d design is super easy to use

“Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goal.”    -Henry Ford

Please do BOINC. no matter how small a contribution it can make a difference. 

i only used the trial of 3DSMax so far, but that one seems very easy to use, for anything, but its better to go with blender ive you dont want to buy such software.

i9 11900k - NH-D15S - ASUS Z-590-F - 64GB 2400Mhz - 1080ti SC - 970evo 1TB - 960evo 250GB - 850evo 250GB - WDblack 1TB - WDblue 3TB - HX850i - 27GN850-B - PB278Q - VX229 - HP P224 - HP P224 - HannsG HT231 - 450D                                                         

DON'T use sketchup, it's simply crap.

As long as you don't need it for commercial use, register on Autodesk's student community website, and get a free copy of 3DS Max or Maya. Tons of tutorials for these, they can export to stupid amount of formats, and have even stupider amount of plugins to export to weird formats.

Other than that, blender is probably the best option.

If you plan to make a model and then be done with 3D in general I would say go with blender because it is easy to pick up and start. If you want to continue doing it and persue it then start right away in something like Maya or 3ds Max because going from blender to one of the autodesk programs will be a struggle. Both programs operate completely differently.