What OS do you use, and why?

msknight

Personally right now I use Windows 10 Home on my primary system. Recently, though I have been looking at Linux distros. Right now I am dual booting Pop!_OS, but It functions more in line with MacOS, so I'm looking at Manjaro. 

Windows 10 on almost everything these days, but my laptop came with Windows 7 and so it remains with it. 

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

On PC, using Windows 10 Pro because of familiarity and gaming. For phone, Android 9/10 because of customization.

I've been using Windows since Windows 3.1 days, and I've no plans to abandon Windows anytime soon. Currently, I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate and planning to upgrade to Windows 8.1 Pro in the near future.

Personally, I find it surprising that people find Linux platform not only adequate but actually use it as a daily driver because for me, the lack of softwares or 'apps' is a big hindrance. 

First the softwares. You can't even run Microsoft Office Suite on Linux the last time I checked, or at least not 'officially'. Unofficial ways exist but most of them make extensive use of virtualization which just isn't my cup of tea.

Then there are games, of course. There aren't that many games which run natively on Linux. Sure there are ways to make Windows games work but I don't like having to write strings of code or whatever, just to make a game work on my machine. I just want to install and play right away. 

Driver support, or the complete lack of it, is another hindrance I'm unwilling to abide with. Drivers don't really exist on Linux, or at least so I've heard! All you've are workarounds. Some work, some don't, it's a gamble! Even setting-up something as minor as a wifi receiver or perhaps a Bluetooth dongle is a NIGHTMARE on Linux! Whereas on Windows, it's all plug and play.

Do I need to say more?

I use ChromeOS because i have to(school), OSX, GalliumOS(linux), ubuntu

i use OSX both at school and at home, for school it's because i have to, but i use it at home but dual boot ubuntu on my family's mac mini and macbook air

GalliumOS because i needed an OS on my Chromebox that was loosing support, and galliumOS is optimised for chromebook/chromebox hardware

ubuntu when OSX is killing me

Don't forget to use the "Quote" feature or mention me ( @Gegger) if you want me to see your reply!

Community Standards // Forum Quickstart Guide // Floatplane // Forum FAQ // The Parrot Gang
Banned by Linus in the "banning game" thread who added insult to injury by putting this crap in my sig >(

WE ARE THE DARK SIDE Don't be a light theme peasant

Spoiler

........:oo:........

o//ssssssssyhhysssss+////o               .''''''''''''''. 

mddmmm/::ddddddddddddddmmmyss::/mmN       |   PARTY ON   |

o..+oodddmmmhhhhhhhhhhhdmmmmmdddooy       | ,............'

h::oyyhddmmm+++///////////++++++mmmddy::s  |/

Nyyo[[sddhyyyyy::::::::::::::::::::yyymmh//oyym

h..:oohmm+:://///::::////////////////+mmmmms..sNN

m++sddmmm+::hddhhy::+ddddddddddddddhhhmmmmmdhh+++d

Nsssyyhmmhssooodmmhhh::+mmdyyyyyyyyddddddmmmmmmmmo::d

mmd../mmmmmo::shhdmmhhh::+mmhooooooooyhhmmmmmmmmmmmyssdmm

+++++smmdddo::///dmmhhh::+mmhooooooooooommmmmddddmmmdd/++m

``+hhhmmhoo/:::::oooooossymmhooooooooyyymmdoooooydddmmo//N

++:mmmmmy:::::::::::::/yyhmmhooooooooyhhmmd:::::+yyhmmyssddd

ooommmmmy:::::::::::::://ommhooooooooooommd:::::://shhdmm+..

yyhmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyyymmd::::::::/++hmm+//

dddmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyhhddh:::::::::::hmmysshhd

mmmmmdhhs::::::::::::::::+mmhoooooooohhhhhy:::::::::::hmmhhh``+

mmmmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmdhhsooooodmm++/:::::::::::hmmsss``+

dddmmhoo+::::::::::::::::+dddddyssyyydmm::::::::::::::hmmsoo++o

dddmmdhho::::::::::::::::+hhdmmddddmmmmm::::::::::::::hmmsooNNN

mmmmmh///::::::::::::::::+hhdmmmmmmmmddd::::::::::::::hmmsoo++/

yyhmmdss+::::::::::::::::/ooydddmmmmmsoo::::::::::::::yddhyy::+

++ommmmmy:::::::::::::::::::ohhdmmddd/::::::::::::::::shhdmmsssNNNmmN

..+mmmmmy:::::::::::::::::::://shh+//:::::::::::::::::://dmmmmdoo+..o

``+dddmmhss+:::::::::::::::::::+++/::::::::::::::::::::::ooodddhhysshNNy++m ``+hhdmmdhhs///:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::yyymmmmmmmmo++hNNmdd ``+hhdmmdhhhhh+:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::/hhhhhdmmmmmsoo... ``+ddmmmdhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyo:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+++++sdddmmdhhsss//+ ``+mmmmmhsshhhhhhhhhhhhhhy++/:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+ssyyydmmddd///hhd ``+mmmmmy::shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhs:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::ymmmmmmmh../ ``+mmmmmy:://////////////ohhhyy+::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::///hddmmmhhs++s ``+mmmmmhssssssssssssssssydddddysssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssdddmmmmmy::s ``+mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmhooh

I use Windows 7 and 10. Windows 7 is better, less glitchy, less ram use, easier to change, slightly faster.  

But a few games don't work on 7 even if they are supposed to so I use 10 too.  

Although I modified 10 and stripped out all the spying features and tricked it to not update until 2100 :).  I'm sure they will be a Windows 11 although they deny it and hopefully it's better than 10. Operating systems suck these days.

I just tried to get Steam Remote Play to work under Linux. At first, it'd always just show me the desktop with some Steam-window minimized to the taskbar and no way of bringing that window up. Turns out, I have to run Steam with the environment-variable SDL_VIDEO_MINIMIZE_ON_FOCUS_LOSS set to 0 for big screen - mode to work right. Alas, even with that, Steam apparently doesn't have focus, so it's still not working!

Under Windows, it all worked on the first try, and shit like this is why I use Windows on the desktop and not Linux.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Private/Research use: Mac

Music Production: Mac

Gaming: Win

My Server: Debian

SOOOO everything. I really hate Windows but have to use it for Gaming :D 

FOLDING MONTH 2021! GOGOGO and save on some heating costs 🙂

7 hours ago, Metallus97 said:

SOOOO everything

How are three different systems even remotely close to "everything"?

Write in C.

19 minutes ago, Dat Guy said:

How are three different systems even remotely close to "everything"?

Everything popular I should have written 

and Davin, Linux, Windows makes up for MUCH of the OSes

sooooo

Soooooooo you'll have a lot to learn.

Do not assume that the world bases its understanding of popularity on your knowledge.

Write in C.

18 minutes ago, Dat Guy said:

Soooooooo you'll have a lot to learn.

Do not assume that the world bases its understanding of popularity on your knowledge.

SoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOo you have to learn to be polite.

Actually and sadly it often does! Sure there are much more OSes. I know that, but for home use be it mobile or PC, those are the tree things on wich most of whats  used is based. 

On the PC, Linux is far from being a common OS. It is a niche. And Debian is a niche in that niche.

Write in C.

3 minutes ago, Dat Guy said:

On the PC, Linux is far from being a common OS. It is a niche. And Debian is a niche in that niche.

talking about pc+mobile here. Therefore linux is verry much used-> Android. On PC Linux is a niche, sure. But I think for most home/business users Debian is the most used. U,Lu,Ku...buntu,mint,etc.

2 minutes ago, Metallus97 said:

talking about pc+mobile here.

Yup. On the PC, everything non-Windows is a niche. (Assuming we agree that Macs are not PCs.) On mobile, hmm...

Android is a large part of the smartphone ecosystem, but it is debateable whether it counts as "a Linux", given that is is basically a combination of the NetBSD userland and the Java Virtual Machine, coupled with a kernel that was based on Linux.

Write in C.

23 minutes ago, Dat Guy said:

Yup. On the PC, everything non-Windows is a niche. (Assuming we agree that Macs are not PCs.) On mobile, hmm...

Android is a large part of the smartphone ecosystem, but it is debateable whether it counts as "a Linux", given that is is basically a combination of the NetBSD userland and the Java Virtual Machine, coupled with a kernel that was based on Linux.

Idd count the Mac as a PC even if  doesn't want me to. I mean its a "Personal Computer" not the sort of barand PC.

Android: Yeh we can have a huge debate now, but lets say its similar enough and based on the same stuff. 

Oh and a big factor is smart devices, TVs, Printer etc. MANNY are based on some sort of Linux. There we have even more Linux in the common peeps life.

I use Windows 10 for my home PC, because I use it mostly for gaming.  I'm using Linux Mint on my laptop I use at work.  I'm doing this to try Linux (I've used Ubuntu, Manjaro, and Mint so far).  If Microsoft ever switches to a subscription only service for Windows OS, then I will switch to Linux totally.  I have done gaming with my work laptop and Linux was been working pretty well for me there.

Servers: Ubuntu Server, FreeBSD
I use FreeBSD for file servers since ZFS is a built in option.
Ubuntu is just easy to get up and running quickly.

Main Workstation for work and gaming: Arch + KDE
I use Arch because I like having a clean, minimal system.

Family's PCs: Pop!_OS
My wife and kids use Pop because it's easy enough for 10 year olds and non-tech minded people to figure out. It just works and that's what they need.

I use Ubuntu Linux for it is stable and has everything I need. Pop!_OS is my 2nd-ary and Zorin and Feren are 3rd and 4th respectively