Which Power Supply Should I Buy?

Harox
Go to solution Solved by 5x5,
2 minutes ago, Harox said:

No - that's equally terrible. Get this as a minimum - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JFLNPDH/?tag=pcpapi-20

Hey guys, so a few weeks ago I made a post about my new gaming PC build, and I was told my EVGA 500w wasn't good enough quality and I should get something else, what should that be? I'm plannin' on spending around $50 to $60 on a new one.

I've got a 

Ryzen 5 1600

An Asrock b450

16 GB 3000 MHz

Radeon RX Vega 56

EVGA 500w

Would a PSU like this work ( https://www.amazon.com/dp/B014W3EMAO/ref=twister_B07RBCD515?_encoding=UTF8&th=1 )?

I don't know what's the EVGA PSU you have on your current build, but if it's 80+ rated it's probably fine for your build, even more if you undervolt your VEGA 56. 
But if you wanna buy a PSU anyway spend a bit more and get a 600w to 750w modular psu. I'd recommend a seasonic unit as they're pretty reliable and are not overly expensive. 

2 hours ago, Feixas said:

I don't know what's the EVGA PSU you have on your current build, but if it's 80+ rated it's probably fine for your build, even more if you undervolt your VEGA 56. 
But if you wanna buy a PSU anyway spend a bit more and get a 600w to 750w modular psu. I'd recommend a seasonic unit as they're pretty reliable and are not overly expensive. 

This is my PSU: https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-WHITE-Warranty-Supply-100-W1-0500-KR/dp/B00H33SFJU/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=evga+500w&qid=1567679353&s=gateway&sr=8-1 but oh okay thats good news, thankyou!

3 minutes ago, Harox said:

No it's not - the EVGA W1 is horrible quality. Please replace it with something actually good. Look at a Corsair TXm 550W or RMx 550W. If those are out of budget, a Super Flower Leadex Gold 500-600W or Cooler Master MWE Gold

4 minutes ago, Feixas said:

don't know what's the EVGA PSU you have on your current build, but if it's 80+ rated it's probably fine for your build, even more if you undervolt your VEGA 56. 

it's not, at all

80+ evga's are horrible hec's

and smart won't improve much

4 minutes ago, Feixas said:

No? This is horrible advice. Just because a power supply has 80+ efficiency doesn't mean anything - the TR2 has 80+ Bronze yet it's a fire hazard. Please don't give bad advice if you don't understand the subject matter.

2 hours ago, 5x5 said:

No? This is horrible advice. Just because a power supply has 80+ efficiency doesn't mean anything - the TR2 has 80+ Bronze yet it's a fire hazard. Please don't give bad advice if you don't understand the subject matter.

Would this be decent? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B014W3EMAO/ref=twister_B07RBCD515?_encoding=UTF8&th=1

1 minute ago, Harox said:

Oh okay cool, thank you, I'm looking at the reviews of that one, and a lot of the reviews say Dead on Arrival, should I trust it?

well... actual professional indicate it's okay

but if you got 5 more bucks to spend, you could get a bitfenix formula, a cwt gps

2 hours ago, Genwyn said:

More people will report an issue or complain when they have a bad experience vs people who will write a report or praise for an expected or normal experience.

Vocal minority, pretty much every computer part out there has a page somewhere with a big old list of DOA reviews.

Oh okay, alright I didn't think of it like that, I guess I'll go for that one then?

If you're trying to save money in a build, don't try and save it on the PSU. It's not performance enhancing but if it goes bad it can kill your PC. My PSU is the 4th most expensive thing in my case (after GPU, CPU and RAM)

|| CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 (@3.9GHz) || Motherboard: ASUS Prime B350 Plus || Cooler: Arctic Freezer 33 eSports Edition || GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 SC || Memory: 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB C16 (@2933MHz) || SSD: SanDisk 128GB || HDD: WD Blue 2TB, Toshiba 2TB, Transcend 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM550x || Case: Fractal Design Focus G || Monitor: 2x AOC 23” I2369VM IPS Full HD, Samsung 32" LED TV Monitor || Mouse: Logitech G703 Wireless || Keyboard: Cooler Master MK750 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) || Speakers: Dell Stereo Speakers || Headphones: Sennheiser HD 4.40 BT / Samsung Galaxy Buds ||

7 minutes ago, Harox said:

Oh okay cool, thank you, I'm looking at the reviews of that one, and a lot of the reviews say Dead on Arrival, should I trust it?

@Genwyn is correct - Amazon reviews are the worst source of information regarding any product since you mostly have people complaining - it doesn't account for the hundreds or thousands of people who have no problems with theirs.

Thank you guys for all the advice, I appreciate it, I've decided I'm going the buy the one 5x5 pointed me to

31 minutes ago, Feixas said:

What?

80+ really doesn’t say anything about the quality of the product.

also for the normal home user a 550w model is plenty in terms of wattage.

seasonic is mweee, also depends what unit.

id rather consider Corsair txm/Rmx or be quiet straight power than seasonic

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

same here i have same spec ryzen 5 1600 oc 3.8ghz 1.35v 
asrock ab350 pro4 
16gb ram 2x8 ddr4 3000mhz
and rx 5700xt red devil 
is 550w enough? i want to get corsair tx550m if 550w enough if doesnt there still fsp hydro 600w, or seasonic M12II evo 620 or S12 620?

1 hour ago, Stormseeker9 said:

What?

80+ really doesn’t say anything about the quality of the product.

also for the normal home user a 550w model is plenty in terms of wattage.

seasonic is mweee, also depends what unit.

id rather consider Corsair txm/Rmx or be quiet straight power than seasonic

Most of SeaSonics units are fine. The only one that isn't great is the Focus platform. Units like the Platinum, Prime Gold, Prime Ultra, Snow Silent and etc are excellent and up there with the likes of the AXi and HCP

1 hour ago, Nasi said:

same here i have same spec ryzen 5 1600 oc 3.8ghz 1.35v 
asrock ab350 pro4 
16gb ram 2x8 ddr4 3000mhz
and rx 5700xt red devil 
is 550w enough? i want to get corsair tx550m if 550w enough if doesnt there still fsp hydro 600w, or seasonic M12II evo 620 or S12 620?

M12II and S12II are old. Don't bother. Same for the Hydro. The TXM is good. That or the MWE Gold imo.

Also yes, your system can easily run on a 450W quality PSU

2 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

M12II and S12II are old. Don't bother. Same for the Hydro. The TXM is good. That or the MWE Gold imo.

wich better mwe txm? its same price in my region btw

Just now, Nasi said:

wich better mwe txm? its same price in my region btw

Personally, I'd buy the MWE but both are excellent units

11 hours ago, 5x5 said:

The TXm is a excellent recommendation, but putting the MWE in the same category is nonsense.  Too many corners cut with components.  And just because you are old doesn't mean you aren't good.  I would take the M12II or the S12II over the MWE gold in a heartbeat.

13 hours ago, 5x5 said:

No - that's equally terrible. Get this as a minimum - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JFLNPDH/?tag=pcpapi-20

13 hours ago, Harox said:

So here's what's funny guys...

The Cooler Master has more DOA complaints and less reviews than the TT which has more reviews and less complaints.

The Cooler Master "reviewed well" by professionals, but that's a small sampling.  It's built by a company we really know nothing about (Gospower).  While you guys tend to shit all over CWT, at least we know they can make good AND bad power supplies.

55 minutes ago, FALC0N said:

The TXm is a excellent recommendation, but putting the MWE in the same category is nonsense.  Too many corners cut with components.  And just because you are old doesn't mean you aren't good.  I would take the M12II or the S12II over the MWE gold in a heartbeat.

Ha