Overclocked my LCD panel, twas worth it!

UnderADyingSun

Following the guide listed under the tutorial section ( this really needs to be a sticky by the way )

I was able to bring up my refresh rate to 75hz and what a difference! Firstly, my entire desktop just looks more polished and fluid. I have a 120hz panel in my living room and I'll say the fluidity is almost on par with it. I really can't tell the difference between the two. I especially noticed this when gaming or watching movies, i'm thoroughly, pleasantly surprised. 

I honestly have no desire to upgrade my monitor now, and I would say that this increase has affected my gaming performance in a positive way. My mouse movements are smoother and I'm even able to pick targets out faster. Basically, all of you trapped in the 60hz cesspool need to attempt the overclock. You'll be very happy you did. 

And again, mods please sticky/pin the thread. 

8320 @ 4.3ghz l Gigabyte 970a Ud3 l Hyper 212 Evo l R9 290 l 8gb RAM 1866 Vengeance l 1tb WD Black l 120gb Samsung Evo SSD l HX750 Gold PSU l 500d Arctic Case l Windows 8 OS l K65 and Blackwidow Keyboard l M65 and DeathAdder 2013 l Qck Steelseries l 24in Vizio Monitor 1080p

I personally would just buy a new monitor with a higher refresh rate. From what i've seen OC'ing a monitor panel could just deteriorate it so it wouldn't last that long. After all, I have 2 120hz monitors on the way to replace my current ones.

I just used Linu's tutorial and my PA248Q seems to run fine at 75Hz. I am going to play some games now. 

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.

Just overclocked my monitor yesterday and so far no issues. But I can go only @ 76hz w/out any issues. @ 77hz screen becomes blurred and washed out.

You can really see the improvements on fps games.

i9-9900K || MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC || Gigabyte RTX 2080 Super Gaming OC || 16GBCorsair Vengeance LPX 3200Mhz || Samsung EVO 970 Plus Samsung 850 EVO 2TB + Crucial BX100 500GB + 4TB HGST NAS || Factal Design Define Mini C TG || Corsair RM750x || Corsair H100i Pro RGB || Acer Predator XB271HU

I read this a while ago, I might give it a go now.

Nothing to see here - move along.

I read this a while ago, I might give it a go now.

Do it and waste no time. Like I said, the effect of 75hz produces the same perception I have when using my 120hz bigscreen. A noticeable improvement, I'm happy

8320 @ 4.3ghz l Gigabyte 970a Ud3 l Hyper 212 Evo l R9 290 l 8gb RAM 1866 Vengeance l 1tb WD Black l 120gb Samsung Evo SSD l HX750 Gold PSU l 500d Arctic Case l Windows 8 OS l K65 and Blackwidow Keyboard l M65 and DeathAdder 2013 l Qck Steelseries l 24in Vizio Monitor 1080p

Do it and waste no time. Like I said, the effect of 75hz produces the same perception I have when using my 120hz bigscreen. A noticeable improvement, I'm happy

I tried and it would only go to 66Mhz so I left it alone.

Nothing to see here - move along.

I laughed at the title, didnt know you could overclock basicly everything, cant you overclock ssd`s aswell?

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 5800x3D | Scythe Fuma 2 | RX6600XT Red Devil | B550M Steel Legend | Fury Renegade 32GB 3600MTs | 980 Pro Gen4 - RAID0 - Kingston A400 480GB x2 RAID1 - Seagate Barracuda 1TB x2 | Fractal Design Integra M 650W | InWin 103 | Mic. - SM57 | Headphones - Sony MDR-1A | Keyboard - Roccat Vulcan 100 AIMO | Mouse - Steelseries Rival 310 | Monitor - Dell S3422DWG

Yeah, did the same thing to my screens. 80Hz on my main/good screen and 65 on my second screen. I got up to 95Hz on my laptop before it started getting fuzzy. There is a pretty good difference.

NZXT Phantom|FX-8320 @4.4GHz|Gigabyte 970A-UD3P|240GB SSD|2x 500GB HDD|16GB RAM|2x AMD MSI R9 270|2x 1080p IPS|Win 10

Dell Precision M4500 - Dell Latitude E4310 - HTC One M8

$200 Volvo 245

I laughed at the title, didnt know you could overclock basicly everything, cant you overclock ssd`s aswell?

Anything that has a processor can be overclocked.So your SSD can be overclocked. But one wants to do it, because no one wants to lose their data, let alone the time to re-install Windows and all your programs and games.

Anything that has a processor can be overclocked.So your SSD can be overclocked. But one wants to do it, because no one wants to lose their data, let alone the time to re-install Windows and all your programs and games.

Does a HDD have a processor? im getting ideas... :D

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 5800x3D | Scythe Fuma 2 | RX6600XT Red Devil | B550M Steel Legend | Fury Renegade 32GB 3600MTs | 980 Pro Gen4 - RAID0 - Kingston A400 480GB x2 RAID1 - Seagate Barracuda 1TB x2 | Fractal Design Integra M 650W | InWin 103 | Mic. - SM57 | Headphones - Sony MDR-1A | Keyboard - Roccat Vulcan 100 AIMO | Mouse - Steelseries Rival 310 | Monitor - Dell S3422DWG

Of course. Just keep in mind that the mechanical system is designed to operate at the mentioned speed. Forcing the motor and head going faster (beside the fact that you need to fine tune the calibration for the drive to work, and not start fetching wrong requested data), that the system may become debalanced due to micro imperfections in the platters or the motor can't provide low/no vibration at the specified speed which will permanently damage the drive or your case. It;s for a reason why slower hard driver are cheaper than the high speed ones, and server ones.

If you don't plan to touch that and simply boost the processor of the HDD, then that would be useless, as this is not the bottleneck.

• 2 years later...
On 2/2/2014 at 11:42 AM, Assassin said:

I just used Linu's tutorial and my PA248Q seems to run fine at 75Hz. I am going to play some games now. 

I've done this on my Asus PA248Q over DisplayPort using Intel HD 4600 Graphics Control Panel Custom resolution with CVT-RB timing standard. 

Monitor hardware info
1920 x 1200

93KHz / 75Hz

However, my brother has pointed out that the UFO at .testufo.com is showing inconsistent motion judder, more so compared to 60hz, even though its reporting 75Hz.

Can you please share your settings, and were they judder free?