Overclocking your monitor refresh rate - AMD GPU's

bartekxx12

Hi, I found a program that allows you to overclock your monitor refresh rate a few weeks ago and after weeks of successfully running a 60Hz monitor @ 75Hz I have decided to make a guide on how to do this. 

I heard that Nvidia has this function built into their drivers and I have not tested this on integrated Intel GPU's so I can only promise that this works on AMD Cards

Before we start the guide you will need to download the program, it is called CRU or Custom Resolution Utility.

I have uploaded the program to my Google Drive link here - https://docs.google.com/file/d/0ByvG-UAyk_VzRXBKQ05lN2t6WkU/edit?usp=sharing

Note - After completing this guide the program no longer needs to be run and after checking running processes I found that it is infact not running. However I am unsure if it can be deleted without putting your refresh rate back to stock which is why I kept it in my main C: drive directory. 

This process will take about 10 minutes, as far as I know it is not dangerous and I have tested it on 4 different monitors without any problems, my 2 main monitors have been running successfully overclocked for many weeks with 0 issues... however if anything goes wrong, I am not responsible :P

Step 1 -  Run the program and delete all monitors in the drop down list that don't have "(active)" in their name. When I first started the program I had many duplicates of a single monitor. You should be left with something like this - 

hy0e.png
(Please note that I am running a dual monitor setup which is why 2 monitors on the list say "(active)". 

Step 2 -  Click "Add..." below the list of "Detailed Resolutions". A window will open. Change the "Timing" to "Automatic - LCD standard".  In the top 2 boxes enter your monitor's resolution, in my case this is 1680 x 1060. 
This is where we get to increasing the refresh rate. In the bottom box - "Refresh rate:" Enter a Refresh rate that is higher than your stock. In my tests a good first increase is 10Hz which took me to 70Hz from 60Hz. 

zan.png

Step 3 - After adding your first custom refresh rate, repeat the process this time going up in steps of 5Hz. You can have a total of 4 Custom settings which took me up to 80Hz

ez1r.png

You now how to restart your computer. Click "OK" to close the program first and then restart. 

Step 4 - After restarting your computer Right Click on your desktop and go to "Screen Resolution" 

9iay.png

Step 5 - Now go to "Advanced settings" (select the monitor you are editing first if you have multiple monitors), followed by the "Monitor" tab. Now when you go to the drop down list of available refresh rates you should see all the ones you have added. This is where you find what your monitor is capable of. 

f8c4.png

Increase the refresh rate step by step hitting apply each time. If the increase is successful, everything on your monitor should look as normal (Except you are now running at a higher refresh rate). Increase the refresh rate until after clicking "Apply" your monitor no longer displays anything on the screen, don't panic when this happens, Windows will automatically Revert back to your previous setting in 15 seconds. What might also happen is the image on your monitor might not look right and everything on your screen might become blurred. In this case also wait 15 seconds until Windows reverts back to the previous refresh rate. 

In my case 75Hz was successful but after applying 80Hz nothing showed up on my monitor until after 15 seconds it went back to 75Hz. This means that 75Hz is the highest my monitor can go.

Step 6 - 

Once you find your monitors limit, open up the Custom Resolution Utility again and delete all the Detailed Resolutions you have created except for the highest one that works correctly for you.

4w0j.png

You can then click OK and close all the Windows you have opened. As you do so and drag some windows you should notice that everything is smoother because you have now overclocked your monitor :)

just guess who posted this before,anyways you need to patch dvi freq in order to get this working ,check my thread 

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

just guess who posted this before,anyways you need to patch dvi freq in order to get this working ,check my thread 

Link/source?

My setup used to be linked here but links aren't allowed so... it shall remain a mystery!

Link/source?

I didn't have to do what he described with the 4 monitors I did this on, what I described in the guide seems to work perfectly without any additional steps required. 

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/5181-increasingoverclocking-stock-screen-refresh-rate-on-amd-graphics/

I didn't have to do what he described with the 4 monitors I did this on, what I described in the guide seems to work perfectly without any additional steps required. 

i had to patch dvi freq in order to get my monitor work at 70hz with single link dvi cable

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

weird my thread is missing 

i had to patch dvi freq in order to get my monitor work at 70hz with single link dvi cable

Oh yeah, that could be a thing, Single link DVI might not be enough. 

My monitor won't overclock to 70hz. So I guess i just have bad luck :P

Meh this int worth it overclocking monitors it stupid because most monitors that are 60hz only run at 60hz or if you can push them to 70 or so the pixel response is bad and you get 100% no benefit but possibly a dead monitor.

Is there even any point in overclocking a 120hz monitor?

CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K 4,6GHZ OC MB: MSI Mpower z77  RAM: Kingston Genesis 1600Mhz CL9 16GB

GPU: ASUS R9 290 Direct CUII  PSU: Corsair AX 860

overclocked from 60-70

CPU Intel Core i5-4670K 4.2GHz Quad-Core    CPU Cooler Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid     Motherboard MSI Z87-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1150   Memory Patriot Viper 3 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600     Storage Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB 2.5" SSD     Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM    Video Card MSI GeForce GTX 770 2GB   Case Cooler Master Storm Scout 2 (Black) ATX Mid Tower   Power Supply Corsair 750W ATX12V / EPS12V  Optical Drive none Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 ultimate

Meh this int worth it overclocking monitors it stupid because most monitors that are 60hz only run at 60hz or if you can push them to 70 or so the pixel response is bad and you get 100% no benefit but possibly a dead monitor.

Not true, I noticed a HUGE difference even when just dragging Windows around on the desktop it looks MUCH MUCH smoother at 70Hz or 75Hz than it did at 60Hz. The increase is also very noticeable in games. If it wasn't worth doing I wouldn't spend time on it making this guide :P

Also...the pixel response time is the time taken for a pixel to respond as the name suggests so... the higher the frequency the lower the time... ;) 

I did this a few months ago when I was looking into downsampling (1440p Image Quality on a 1080p panel - Gaming only)

I used CRU to do what you did, 60hz to 75hz, has been great for vsync and those occasional fps dips are much more manageable.

Great work making a guide for other people.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Is there even any point in overclocking a 120hz monitor?

144hz?

If I had one wish, I would ask for a big enough ass for the whole world to kiss

maybe 200hz on the 144hz panels

Desktop -  i5 4670k, GTX 770, Maximums VI Hero, 2X Kingston Hyper X 3k in raid zero.

Laptop - Lenovo X230 Intel 535 480GB, 16GB Gskill memory, Classic Keyboard Mod, Triple USB 3.0 Express Card.

i got 80hz on my macbook pro screen

Desktop -  i5 4670k, GTX 770, Maximums VI Hero, 2X Kingston Hyper X 3k in raid zero.

Laptop - Lenovo X230 Intel 535 480GB, 16GB Gskill memory, Classic Keyboard Mod, Triple USB 3.0 Express Card.

The problem is most monitors with multiple inputs will frame skip over 70hz..

90hz

come on you can do 120

oc'd my monitor to 70hz, my question is how safe is it to oc monitors

CPU: i5 2500K @ 4.2GHZ, GPU: AMD Radeon RX 480 4GB, RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8gb (2X4GB) 1600MHZ, Mobo: Asus P8Z77M, Chassis: Phanteks P400s Tempered Glass editionStorage: Seagate 1TB + Samsung 2TB In RAID 0 + Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Sound Card: Asus Xonar DS, Mouse: Steelseries Sensei, Keyboard: CM Storm Quick Fire Pro, Monitor: BenQ G2410HD + Samsung SA1900

oc'd my monitor to 70hz, my question is how safe is it to oc monitors

It will not damage the monitor..You will know when its to high cause you will see lines on your screen..But like i said most monitors with multiple inputs will skip frames after 70hz..Just drag a window around your screen to see if it is smoother or more jerky then 60hz..If it is worse then you are frame skipping..

It will not damage the monitor..You will know when its to high cause you will see lines on your screen..But like i said most monitors with multiple inputs will skip frames after 70hz..Just drag a window around your screen to see if it is smoother or more jerky then 60hz..If it is worse then you are frame skipping..

OK, thanks, I tested my monitor and it isn't frame skipping, though I do have a BenQ G2410HD and of all the words used to describe its inputs "multiple" is not one of them the thing seriously only has d-sub and dual link DVI

CPU: i5 2500K @ 4.2GHZ, GPU: AMD Radeon RX 480 4GB, RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8gb (2X4GB) 1600MHZ, Mobo: Asus P8Z77M, Chassis: Phanteks P400s Tempered Glass editionStorage: Seagate 1TB + Samsung 2TB In RAID 0 + Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Sound Card: Asus Xonar DS, Mouse: Steelseries Sensei, Keyboard: CM Storm Quick Fire Pro, Monitor: BenQ G2410HD + Samsung SA1900

OK, thanks, I tested my monitor and it isn't frame skipping, though I do have a BenQ G2410HD and of all the words used to describe its inputs "multiple" is not one of them the thing seriously only has d-sub and dual link DVI

Sweet..If you want to shoot for a higher OC try LCD reduced in the drop down on CRU..

Sweet..If you want to shoot for a higher OC try LCD reduced in the drop down on CRU..

what's the difference between LCD standard and reduced?