Trying to figure out what power supply someone has

Aaralli

I have a friend who was given a GTX 680 graphics card (she's currently using an AMD a10 APU) and I told her she needs to find out what power supply she has, but she's having trouble figuring it out, and can't figure out how to get it out of her case. She sent me some pictures if the poer supply, but the label is completely blocked by her case. All I know is that it is thermaltake and has these stickers on it... Can anyone identify this?

Screenshot_20190831-104853_Instagram.jpg

Screenshot_20190831-104736_Instagram.jpg

It's a Thermaltake unit for sure. Are there any other stickers on the other sides of the power supply?

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Can your friend find any kind of model or serial number? Right now I can only see the manufacturer and nothing else. It does seem a bit old though.

Thermaltake Purepower W0100RU 500W

The serial number gave it away.

Looks like that's actually a rebranded CWT PUF-405. 

405 stands for the actual maximum wattage.  500W is said to be the very maximum peak power, but Hardware Secrets couldn't even maintain 400W for more than a couple of seconds, with voltages on the 12V rail dropping too far on loads as low as 310W.

https://www.hardwaresecrets.com/thermaltake-purepower-500-w-power-supply-review/

Basically it's garbage.  I would replace that thing ASAP, especially if you plan on putting such a power-hungry GPU in the PC.  If replacing it is not an option, at least keep a fire extinguisher nearby.   

EDIT : Looks like JG beat me to it. 

On 8/31/2019 at 11:24 AM, jonnyGURU said:

WOW!!!

That's is an OLD Thermaltake PSU!!!

That is a Pure Power 500.

https://www.newegg.com/thermaltake-purepower-w0100ru-500w/p/N82E16817153052

Miracle it still works (or isn't slowly killing all of her parts).

Just how old is it? I'm pretty sure the A10 5800k CPU was brand new when the PC was built...

9 minutes ago, Aaralli said:

Just how old is it? I'm pretty sure the A10 5800k CPU was brand new when the PC was built...

Earliest I can find is January 8 2007, so almost 13 years old.

9 hours ago, Aaralli said:

According to the serial number, 4th week of 2008.