How do i make money as an editor

I am a video editor that usually edits montages and youtube videos, although i also know how to make intros, make logos, motion track, photoshop, and do visual effects. I do have all of these skills, but i dont know how to put them to good use. How do i find people to edit for that are willing to pay me money. (Im trying to get money so i can get an actual computer instead of this 2010 windows vista so i can edit faster with no problems, stream, and make videos)

go out and meet with people, go to events, car shows, wherever someone has a gopro out doing stuff.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

34 minutes ago, Levent said:

go out and meet with people, go to events, car shows, wherever someone has a gopro out doing stuff.

Thing is ppl dont rlly do that where i live ;-;

1 hour ago, jagomaster74 said:

I do have all of these skills, but i dont know how to put them to good use.

Same, i can say i have some experience with this, i know to edit especially working with audio, but its not my main gig, 

i am working on my degree in engineering and i am doing photography/videography/editing as a part time thing, but genuinely, its about meeting people, cause its where the media comes from, events and etc 

so as much as it might not be ideal, if its where you want your career to go, then you have to do it at some point. 

Also doing work on your own might not be bad, like edits to show your skill on a youtube channel (but be aware its not the most forgiving platform)

PC: Alienware 15 R3  Cpu: 7700hq  GPu : 1070 OC   Display: 1080p IPS Gsync panel 60hz  Storage: 970 evo 250 gb / 970 evo plus 500gb

Audio: Sennheiser HD 6xx  DAC: Schiit Modi 3E Amp: Schiit Magni Heresy

I'd suggest the following:

1. Create a website, and host a portfolio of some of your work. Videos you've edited, logos you've created, etc.

2. Create a Facebook Page that acts in the same way - include links to your website. Share your page among your FB friends. Share your FB link and your Website link among social media, twitter, put it in your signature here, post it as a status update, etc.

3. Put your services up on freelance websites like Fiver

And keep in mind that if you don't have a lot of experience actually selling your services, you'll probably have to take shit pay in the beginning. Once you start to build up a brand and reputation, it'll be easier, as people will start to seek you out.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

3 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

I'd suggest the following:

1. Create a website, and host a portfolio of some of your work. Videos you've edited, logos you've created, etc.

2. Create a Facebook Page that acts in the same way - include links to your website. Share your page among your FB friends. Share your FB link and your Website link among social media, twitter, put it in your signature here, post it as a status update, etc.

3. Put your services up on freelance websites like Fiver

And keep in mind that if you don't have a lot of experience actually selling your services, you'll probably have to take shit pay in the beginning. Once you start to build up a brand and reputation, it'll be easier, as people will start to seek you out.

So basically is what youre saying is build an audience first?

21 minutes ago, jagomaster74 said:

So basically is what youre saying is build an audience first?

No, because you'll run into the chicken and the egg problem.

You need to do both simultaneously. Just remember that when you first start out, because you don't have an audience, you'll be getting worse pay, and you'll have to be less picky on what projects you work on.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Take a page from LTT.

Do these things.

image.png.a462a4012751c50a4044b44ee77b023b.png

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

Because every tom dick and Harry can edit video these days, video editors get paid min wage where I live. So do most creative jobs that people feel they can do on their cell phones.

Unless you're able to be good on camera, win and audience and make your own channel, you really won't get a job making more than 10-15 an hour, depending on where you live and the min wage laws. Or you'll be 1099 employee earning even less than that because you won't be doing billable hours and usually do it for a few bucks per project that takes you hours and hours.

In order to get work you need a polished, developed, and well rounded portfolio that shows why you should be hired over everyone else.  And by this, I'm not meaning LTT quality videos, they are actually garbage in terms of quality people want for an edit. Think Ford or Budweiser commercials... During the Superbowl. That's what companies want to hire.

I realize after a few hours I was a bit harsh, but not that off. Remember, there is a difference between an editor and a graphic designer/animator.

Case and point is the original movie Star Wars. The version given to the editor was much different than that of the final release. It can be argued, and I agree with, that the editor saved the movie.

Editors make tons of decisions and effect the story in so many ways.

That's what your reel should highlight if you want to be an editor. Tell a story. The basics of content creation, the ability to use certain software, and understanding editing techniques are really checkboxes that come across in any video. It's easy to see if you know the tools, it's harder to showcase that you can tell a story.

6 hours ago, Evanair said:

I realize after a few hours I was a bit harsh, but not that off. Remember, there is a difference between an editor and a graphic designer/animator.

Case and point is the original movie Star Wars. The version given to the editor was much different than that of the final release. It can be argued, and I agree with, that the editor saved the movie.

Editors make tons of decisions and effect the story in so many ways.

That's what your reel should highlight if you want to be an editor. Tell a story. The basics of content creation, the ability to use certain software, and understanding editing techniques are really checkboxes that come across in any video. It's easy to see if you know the tools, it's harder to showcase that you can tell a story.

Create a portfolio and show people 

Phone 1 (Daily Driver): Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2 5G

Phone 2 (Work): Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G 256gb

Laptop 1 (Production): 16" MBP2019, i7, 5500M, 32GB DDR4, 2TB SSD

Laptop 2 (Gaming): Toshiba Qosmio X875, i7 3630QM, GTX 670M, 16GB DDR3

Easiest way is to get on Fiverr/Upwork and start making offers. Also look up offerings that people have made.

I love hiring people for a one-off job on Fiverr

The only thing I can think of is to be social online and make a network of potential clients.

I work for artists and take commissions, you meet some great people and build up your own rep, bringing in more clients.