Is VR worth it

CrazieChipmunk

So i thought to myself that i could buy a vr headset but im skeptical, 2 of my friends have a psvr and they played it for about a month and never touched it again. So i asked them why and they said that they just run out of games to play or would rather play normal flat screen. I also dont know if i will have the time to play on it because i have college work soon and gcse's and i also like to practice 3d modelling.

My overall opinion on vr is mixed, i have tried the psvr once and i really enjoyed it, and ive always liked the idea of vr but i dont know if its worth spending 399.99 pounds on the rift s when i might not even use it that much, with 399.99 pounds i could buy a new graphics tablet and still have 200 left over to either put towards games or a new gpu later on.

so i dont know if its worth it because i know its only 2 people ive surveyed but the fact they said the same thing makes me think is it even worth my money?

Depends on you.

The experience it gives is definitely something else.

Also there are 3d sculpting apps for the steamvr, so you can sculpt in vr and then print the model out.

But if you have better things to put money towards do that, the vr is still pretty early in it's track, so it will be much better in a few years.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

It seems like the majority of people that use VR use it a lot for a month or two and then basically never touch it again. 

I had the Oculus Rift DK2 and did exactly that. 

VR has come a long way since then, but there's still a lack of fully fledged games around for it. Most games available are still kind of sandbox or arcade type games without much of a story or progression.

VR can be fantastic if you have friends over to play and compete, but if it's only going to be you using it, I'd say it's not worth the price right now. 

3 minutes ago, Origami Cactus said:

Depends on you.

The experience it gives is definitely something else.

Also there are 3d sculpting apps for the steamvr, so you can sculpt in vr and then print the model out.

But if you have better things to put money towards do that, the vr is still pretty early in it's track, so it will be much better in a few years.

1 minute ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

It seems like the majority of people that use VR use it a lot for a month or two and then basically never touch it again. 

VR has come a long way since then, but there's still a lack of fully fledged games around for it. Most games available are still kind of sandbox or arcade type games without much of a story or progression.

VR can be fantastic if you have friends over to play and compete, but if it's only going to be you using it, I'd say it's not worth the price right now. 

Yeah i think i might go with what i said instead of a vr, maybe get it when im less busy

In my opinion there are better places to invest this money still.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

I have a heavily modded Skyrim and Fallout 4 so it makes sense for me to do the VR versions. Without them it would not do VR at all. 

I also play Elite Dangerous and X Plane 11 on a screen but find the VR experience too low res with a Rift s.

It will take a next gen headset and a next gen GPU to get the resolution up enough for me to enjoy doing simulations. 

Modding Skyrim and Fallout 4 VR will keep me busy for a now but I am hoping that there will be more of the types of games that I like to play coming out soon.

If there is no killer app for you it is not worth it now.    

RIG#1 CPU: AMD, R 7 5800x3D| Motherboard: X570 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG42UQ

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i9 11900k | Motherboard: Z590 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3600 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1300 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k C1 OLED TV

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 10900kf | Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#4 CPU: Intel i9 13900k | Motherboard: AORUS Z790 Master | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB DDR5 6200 | GPU: Zotac Amp Extreme 4090  | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Streacom BC1.1S | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB  | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

5 minutes ago, Princess Luna said:

In my opinion there are better places to invest this money still.

what would you suggest?

Honestly, it's worth it once you've gotten bored of regular flat screen gaming. I was losing interest on games altogether before I've decided to go for it and get a HTC Vive. 
It's a whole new experience. I couldn't remember when was the last time I´ve reacted with a sincere "holy shit" to a game before. 

Also, make sure you are aware of the hardware requirementes for properly running games on it. 

Mine (OG Vive) collects dust mostly. It was super fun at first but I got sick of sifting through the turds to find the polished games that were a good experience. That, and it takes more configuration and is more of a hassle than regular gaming. Great for parties though.

If I had the money and nothing else to spend it on, then sure, I'd buy VR. 

There are certain games and game types that sound like they'd be really wonderful on VR (especially driving games if you have a decent steering wheel, pedals, etc.) + I think you can play great old games in VR using Steam theater or w/e it's called.

The biggest problem with VR is that it's so expensive to get into and there aren't really any great VR games to play.

Ryzen 1600x @4GHz

Asus GTX 1070 8GB @1900MHz

16 GB HyperX DDR4 @3000MHz

Asus Prime X370 Pro

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

Noctua NH-U14S

Seasonic M12II 620W

+ four different mechanical drives.

17 hours ago, CrazieChipmunk said:

So i thought to myself that i could buy a vr headset but im skeptical,

-Snip-

so i dont know if its worth it because i know its only 2 people ive surveyed but the fact they said the same thing makes me think is it even worth my money?

17 hours ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

^ this is exactly what happened with me and the htc vive (pre price drop), but i do still pull it out on holidays and family gatherings, with the occasional visit to see what is going on in vrchat every few months or so

Nothing to see here, move along

No, go hire it for an hour at a local arcade that offers it. Just like people do with singing games now.

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

It depends on the person. Some will think VR is worth it, some won't. I personally like VR, and if I had the money, I'd definitely buy in.

See if there's a VR arcade nearby. If there is, go try it out there and decide for yourself. The Oculus Rift S would probably be my headset of choice.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

19 hours ago, CrazieChipmunk said:

So i thought to myself that i could buy a vr headset but im skeptical, 2 of my friends have a psvr and they played it for about a month and never touched it again.

VR is not worth it, and it's arguably even less popular than "3D TV" was. All 3DTV support has been removed from nVidia drivers this year, and Nintendo isn't selling anything to replace the 3DS.

Reason? 

1. HMD's are big, heavy, low-res, and low-framerate, still make people sick, and rubbish clones are only proving this point.

2. Input devices super-suck (Input should require only wearing half-gloves for haptic feedback. No controllers.

3. Not enough space in most people's living rooms/bedrooms. Seriously, you need an entire 15' x 15' bedroom, which doesn't exist in apartments to use.

4. Most "VR" games thus far have been straight FPS games which are really a poor choice for this. There's a small number of VR games that would make sense, but a FPS game is not improved with VR. The kind of game that VR is most suitable for are environmental simulations (eg space, under water), and hyper-reality extensions (eg controlling drones or remotely operated robots.) Your average game is actually hindered by VR.

VR is however useful for creating a virtual theater screen and environment. There might come a time where a VR HMD might allow for better "3D film" than what we've thus far been given, as the same reason why you don't have enough space for a VR setup is the same reason why you don't have a full home theater setup in general. 

Overall there's not really any incentive to use VR over a regular mouse/keyboard/controller in games.

There is one exception, and this lies in "VR-chat" and "VTuber"'s which is currently kinda just experimental stuff. Because the barrier to entry for this is pretty low, all you need is a VR HMD, Kinect, or regular webcam to control the avatar's head and face movements. We're getting there, each piece is just falling a little short of where we need to be. 

It can be very entertaining, however, it's not fully utilized yet.