Is a downward-flow cooler significantly better for board component cooling?

atxcyclist

Would something like a Noctua NH-C14S be beneficial over a tower-style cooler for board components? I have an MSI B450 Gaming Plus and a 2700x, currently I'm using the Prism cooler but want to change it due to noise. I've considered liquid cooling, but the cost of an AIO plus a case to facilitate it would be quite a bit more expensive than a good air cooler. I've used tower coolers on other builds, but this is the first time I've purchased the highest-end processor that was intended for a certain platform, so I want to keep everything cool and happy.

If not the Noctua, any other options that would make sense?

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

I would say if you're working in a chassis that doesn't have great airflow across the board (such as a chassis lacking bottom or front mount fans) then a CPU cooler that doubles as a cooler for the components around the socket definitely makes a difference.

How important it is depends on your setup. Under some circumstances it could make a serious difference when overclocking such as to keep the VRMs cool.

Yes, it would cool the motherboard better but might not be as good as a tower cooler for cpu cooling which may be more important.

What case and ram are you using? Where are you shopping / located? Budget?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

8 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Yes, it would cool the motherboard better but might not be as good as a tower cooler for cpu cooling which may be more important.

What case and ram are you using? Where are you shopping / located? Budget?

I have some Corsair LPX. Using a cheap Raidmax Monster II full ATX case, I do have a bunch of 140mm fans in it but try to run them at low RPM. United States. Budget is flexible, I'm not looking for dirt cheap, but something even around $75 that's the right cooler wouldn't be an issue. Mainly just something that allows components to be cooled, but the quieter the better.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

33 minutes ago, atxcyclist said:

I have some Corsair LPX. Using a cheap Raidmax Monster II full ATX case, I do have a bunch of 140mm fans in it but try to run them at low RPM. United States. Budget is flexible, I'm not looking for dirt cheap, but something even around $75 that's the right cooler wouldn't be an issue. Mainly just something that allows components to be cooled, but the quieter the better.

You could save some money with a cheaper cooler like the Macho Rev. B: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/4TCrxr/thermalright-cpu-cooler-machorevb

It should provide enough airflow for the motherboard components unless you plan on heavily oc'ing. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.