Gaming Laptop or Thin and Light as a student?

Cactu

Given that I am about to start college I'm looking into a new laptop. my budget is around $1,000 but cheaper is better,  and I am torn between getting a thin and light or a gaming laptop. I feel like if I'm going to drop that much money into a laptop I might as well get some processing power behind it, but I am definitely ignorant to the benefits of the thin and light because I have never had one any suggestions to help me make the right decisions?

Laptops I'm eyeing:
LG Gram https://www.amazon.com/LG-Gram-Thin-Light-Laptop/dp/B07NGCJW4R/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=LG%2BGram&qid=1564082683&s=gateway&sr=8-3&th=1

Microsoft Surface Laptop https://www.newegg.com/p/1TS-0025-000N3?Description=Surface%20Laptop%202&cm_re=Surface_Laptop_2-_-1TS-0025-000N3-_-Product
Acer Nitro 5 https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Nitro-AN515-Laptop-i5-8300H/dp/B07C715KNT/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=acer+nitro+5&qid=1564118491&s=gateway&sr=8-3

i was in this boat a few yeasrs back. i was looking at getting a HP gaming laptop or a Macbook pro retina for college. i got the macbook for a few reasons....

its super light and portable, screen is great. and battery life is excellent i could go 2 - 3 days with no charge.

if you actually need the performance of a gaming laptop then go for it otherwise get the GRAM.

My Personal PC 'Apex' https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/LiamBetts123/saved/3rTNnQ

Intel Core i9 9900k, ASUS Z390-A, RTX 2080TI, Meshify C, HX 850i, 32GB Gskill Trident Z RGB @ 3200MHZ, 500GB NVME, 500GB SSD & 2 x 4TB Baracudas 

Why not both in the form of the Asus Zephyrus GA502?

Ryzen 7 3750H and 1660 Ti

120Hz IPS display

7-8 hours of battery life

thin and light with small bezels.

Price - 1100$ or so

https://www.amazon.com/Zephyrus-Gaming-GeForce-Windows-GA502GU-PB73/dp/B07QQ9LZZK/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=GA502&qid=1566672004&s=gateway&sr=8-6

2 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

Why not both in the form of the Asus Zephyrus GA502?

Ryzen 7 3750H and 1660 Ti

120Hz IPS display

7-8 hours of battery life

thin and light with small bezels.

Price - 1100$ or so

is there any downside to this? I feel like this is a clear winner. Maybe a couple hours of battery and a pound or so?

1 minute ago, Cactusneedle_18 said:

is there any downside to this? I feel like this is a clear winner. Maybe a couple hours of battery and a pound or so?

Not really - it's a bit loud under load due to the thinness and you can't expect super low temps but it's not going to overheat and it will perform perfectly. Highly recommended by reviewers

Don't get a gaming laptop. You either have a thick, heavy, ugly laptop with terrible battery life, or a "thin" and "light" gaming laptop that has awful thermals and also terrible battery life.

Get a Thinkpad and a gaming desktop if you really want to game.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

Just now, kelvinhall05 said:

Don't get a gaming laptop. You either have a thick, heavy, ugly laptop with terrible battery life, or a "thin" and "light" gaming laptop that has awful thermals and also terrible battery life.

Get a Thinkpad and a gaming desktop if you really want to game.

Erm, no? It's 2019, not 2009.

I am struggling internally over the luxury of having power or the luxury of longer battery life

I would go with a thin and light. The gaming laptops with "8 hour battery life" are closer to maybe 5 if you're lucky, the fans are almost always on, they get really hot if you have to use them in your lap, and there are just better solutions. I would go with a thin and light for school 100%. If you want to be able to game on it there are latptops with good battery life that have a 1650 in them so they can do most games at 1080p mediumish. I wouldn't recommend getting anything with an actual battery life under 8 hours since you can't always find a power outlet. If you want to game you can build a cheaper desktop to use back at your dorm. 

1 minute ago, Sorenson said:

I would go with a thin and light. The gaming laptops with "8 hour battery life" are closer to maybe 5 if you're lucky, the fans are almost always on, they get really hot if you have to use them in your lap, and there are just better solutions. I would go with a thin and light for school 100%. If you want to be able to game on it there are latptops with good battery life that have a 1650 in them so they can do most games at 1080p mediumish. I wouldn't recommend getting anything with an actual battery life under 8 hours since you can't always find a power outlet. If you want to game you can build a cheaper desktop to use back at your dorm. 

given that I will have a gaming desktop in my dorm I am starting to think that I really dont need to have a laptop that can game

3 hours ago, Cactusneedle_18 said:

given that I will have a gaming desktop in my dorm I am starting to think that I really dont need to have a laptop that can game

I get it man. It’s the smart choice but not the fun choice ?

Uni student here. Get the thinnest and lightest laptop you can find with the performance you need. I currently have a last-gen Macbook Air and am very happy with it (though I will be upgrading to a 15" MBP eventually.)

Anyways, your back will thank you for getting a very light laptop. I used to carry an XPS M1730... Though not the heaviest laptop I have ever had, 11 pounds is nothing to scoff at... 

EDIT: Of those 3 laptops, LG Gram for sure.

Image result for xps m1730

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

Only get gaming laptop if you often play games and really need the extra portability

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128