researcher publishes second steam 0 day, valve doesn't care

spartaman64

and I am still gonna use steam cause I don't even have a system that the hacker would be able to run something on.

I live in misery USA. my timezone is central daylight time which is either UTC -5 or -4 because the government hates everyone.

into trains? here's the model railroad thread!

On 8/23/2019 at 11:51 PM, Dan Castellaneta said:

Welcome to modern Valve, where Team Fortress 2 sits without updates for two months or more, where CS:GO hasn't had an Operation in over two years and the Steam client re-do is perpetually stuck in development hell. You know, just like any Valve product.

- TF2 is a 10 year old product

- Danger Zone is a thing

- Steam new UI's ready for beta

Lol

On 8/25/2019 at 12:07 AM, TechyBen said:

Valve: Promises/teases HL3/HL2:EP3 at the end of HL2:EP3

Also Valve: Starts developing SOOO MANY GAMES in complete secret, but their internal structure with zero heading/control means they all get nowhere.

Also Also Valve: Buys lots of indy devs, releases those games instead.

Finally Valve: Puts all their effort into making Steam a money pit (though arguably providing tools/support through the client! :) ) then releases a load of failed card trading games...

Fans/customers: We really only wanted the game you promised.

A few trolls: "HL3 you scum!!!"

Valve: That's it, we quit, you are sooo nasty to us! [disappears off into their money pool never to be seen again].

You forgot Index headsets, Knuckles controllers, Proton, SteamVR, The Lab.

13 hours ago, realpetertdm said:

- TF2 is a 10 year old product

- Danger Zone is a thing

- Steam new UI's ready for beta

Lol

• Team Fortress 2 still has a playerbase about as large as GTA V (on Steam) and larger than almost any other 12 year old game
  • I said operation, not update. I know Danger Zone exists, I played it first day
  • It took Valve, what, three years to work on the Library update and it’s only just going to Beta status?

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

On 9/9/2019 at 3:02 AM, Dan Castellaneta said:
  • Team Fortress 2 still has a playerbase about as large as GTA V (on Steam) and larger than almost any other 12 year old game
  • I said operation, not update. I know Danger Zone exists, I played it first day
  • It took Valve, what, three years to work on the Library update and it’s only just going to Beta status?

Valve has three, no, FIVE multiplayer games to update, an entire game engine, a HMD, a flagship VR title in the works, and Steam, and SteamVR. You really expect lightning-fast updates all the time? You think they have time to review all the bugs themselves?

TF2 is 12 years old. Expecting (free) updates at this point is just being entitled.

CSGO had numerous small updated adding in weapons and many others. It's being constantly updated on, complaining that company isn't bending to your wishes is.. not really helping much.

See above points

2 hours ago, Crowbar said:

How did a thread about Valve sucking turn into another "epic games bad" one?

Steam fan boys are almost as terrible as apple ones it seems...

my 2 problems with epic are:

• No linux
  • Paid exclusives

I will buy from epic when they allow linux. I won't buy the paid exclusives but I will buy games.

I live in misery USA. my timezone is central daylight time which is either UTC -5 or -4 because the government hates everyone.

2 minutes ago, will4623 said:

• No linux
  • Paid exclusives

I will buy from epic when they allow linux. I won't buy the paid exclusives but I will buy games.

I'd like to see linux support too, but then again EGS still doesn't have basic stuff like a shopping cart function.

How did a thread about Valve sucking turn into another "epic games bad" one?

Steam fan boys are almost as terrible as apple ones it seems...

Because even though people can complain about a few things wrong with Steam, theres a lot more wrong with Epic. At least Steam has something for security, Epic got sued over accounts getting hacked on EGS.

I like how everyone is supposed have any of you tried contacting their support? It's the same thing as this. My account got hacked 4 years ago if it was Microsoft I could call them and they would instantly help but no steam took 2 weeks to help my with the account.

13 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

I'd like to see linux support too, but then again EGS still doesn't have basic stuff like a shopping cart function.

true epic needs to get their shit together.

30 minutes ago, will4623 said:

• No linux
  • Paid exclusives

I run Arch and my policy is if it's not on GOG and I want to play then it gets pirated.

It's simple and solves the problem.

2 minutes ago, Crowbar said:

I run Arch and my policy is if it's not on GOG and I want to play then it gets pirated.

It's simple and solves the problem.

Why would you pirate a game simply because it's not on GOG?

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

27 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

Because even though people can complain about a few things wrong with Steam, theres a lot more wrong with Epic. At least Steam has something for security, Epic got sued over accounts getting hacked on EGS.

A thread about steam being shit has nothing to do with epic yet it still got brought up multiple times as per the usual when any steam related thread is made because fan boys need to keep making excuses for valve.

If steam cared about security, this thread wouldn't exist and the researcher that disclosed the vulnerabilities would have been thanked rather then banned.

2 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Why would you pirate a game simply because it's not on GOG?

Because I refuse to support DRM. I'll gladly pay a reasonable price however if it's available on my terms.

19 minutes ago, Crowbar said:

Because I refuse to support DRM. I'll gladly pay a reasonable price however if it's available on my terms.

Yeah that makes sense. Boycotting products because you don't agree with bad business practices is a really reasonable response.

Pirating the games, however, is where the logic breaks down. Why play them at all?

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

37 minutes ago, Crowbar said:

A thread about steam being shit has nothing to do with epic yet it still got brought up multiple times as per the usual when any steam related thread is made because fan boys need to keep making excuses for valve.

If steam cared about security, this thread wouldn't exist and the researcher that disclosed the vulnerabilities would have been thanked rather then banned.

Because people are insisting epic is better yet they only care if a publisher goes exclusive to their store, and Steam didn't ban the researcher, Hackerone did.

33 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Yeah that makes sense. Boycotting products because you don't agree with bad business practices is a really reasonable response.

Pirating the games, however, is where the logic breaks down. Why play them at all?

Because steam forcing an agenda isn't going to prevent me from doing what I want. Same goes for epic, uplay or any other client. As far as I'm concerned these studios/publishers/platforms only hurt themselves in this case by refusing to make a game widely available.

I don't by any means single out steam but since they are always put on the highest shelf for unexplainable reasons by many they are the low hanging fruit in this case.

An example that many can probably relate to is the Metro series. The first two games are available on GOG, the third is an epic exclusive. There's no way in hell I'm paying a company to install DRM/spyware on my machine and there's no other legal option. So, fuck 4A/Deep Silver/epic and also steam for popularizing this now industry standard of distribution model. Pirated.

If it becomes available on GOG at a later date for a reduced price then maybe I'll think about buying it but that sentiment will only last so long and the longer this continues the more my patience for this nonsense runs thin.

23 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

Because people are insisting epic is better yet they only care if a publisher goes exclusive to their store, and Steam didn't ban the researcher, Hackerone did.

And the threads where that didn't occur first? It's always a pissing match that turns into an "epic bad, steam good" narrative regardless.

Let's not split hairs and put an over exaggerated level of importance on trivial specifics. Hackerone works for valve and is enforcing their policies. The decision was ultimately made by valve despite any attempts to spin doctor the events that took place.

Because steam forcing an agenda isn't going to prevent me from doing what I want.

At least you're honest about stealing the work of others: You do it because you want to and because you can. And let's be honest, because there's essentially no risk to piracy for most people.

Same goes for epic, uplay or any other client. As far as I'm concerned these studios/publishers/platforms only hurt themselves in this case by refusing to make a game widely available.

Except they are making their games widely available. You just decided you weren't going to use the platforms that have these games.

I don't by any means single out steam but since they are always put on the highest shelf for unexplainable reasons by many they are the low hanging fruit in this case.

An example that many can probably relate to is the Metro series. The first two games are available on GOG, the third is an epic exclusive. There's no way in hell I'm paying a company to install DRM/spyware on my machine and there's no other legal option. So, fuck 4A/Deep Silver/epic and also steam for popularizing this now industry standard of distribution model. Pirated.

Spyware claim aside (because by your own admission, even if it were on Steam, for example, with no Spyware, you'd still pirate it), you're doing more harm to the industry than good. People who pirate a game because of DRM are the people that companies implementing DRM are trying to fight against. They're only going to implement more aggressive DRM because of it.

In the end, you do you, but the best thing to do is to not buy the game, don't pirate it, and tweet the devs explaining in explicit terms why you're not buying or playing a game you want to (or other public social media, such as posting on the devs Facebook page, or the official forums of the game in question, etc).

11 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

At least you're honest about stealing the work of others: You do it because you want to and because you can. And let's be honest, because there's essentially no risk to piracy for most people.

Except they are making their games widely available. You just decided you weren't going to use the platforms that have these games.

Spyware claim aside (because by your own admission, even if it were on Steam, for example, with no Spyware, you'd still pirate it), you're doing more harm to the industry than good. People who pirate a game because of DRM are the people that companies implementing DRM are trying to fight against. They're only going to implement more aggressive DRM because of it.

In the end, you do you, but the best thing to do is to not buy the game, don't pirate it, and tweet the devs explaining in explicit terms why you're not buying or playing a game you want to (or other public social media, such as posting on the devs Facebook page, or the official forums of the game in question, etc).

No.

I'm priating the game because they refuse to make it available without having forced installs on my machine. This is intentionally limiting the audiance. My machine, my choice. If you want my money, then earn it with pro-consumer practices.

Your "solution" completely ignores everything I've just explained to you. Why would I create a facebook account just to complain? And even if I would sink to that level, when has that ever made a difference? Especially when there was how many millions of funding dollars thrown their way for exclusiveity from epic. That's a waste of my time.

3 hours ago, Crowbar said:

No.

I'm priating the game because they refuse to make it available without having forced installs on my machine. This is intentionally limiting the audiance. My machine, my choice. If you want my money, then earn it with pro-consumer practices.

Your "solution" completely ignores everything I've just explained to you. Why would I create a facebook account just to complain? And even if I would sink to that level, when has that ever made a difference? Especially when there was how many millions of funding dollars thrown their way for exclusiveity from epic. That's a waste of my time.

You’re just perpetuating the system you hate, at this point. Which I guess is fine if you don’t care to ever change the situation. 

Boycotting (and not playing) the games because of DRM would work if enough people did it. But too many people share your opinion to even bother trying. 

And why make a FB account, etc? Simple. So it’s clear and unambiguous why you refused

to buy their game. 

But of course, if you pirated it, your message will be drowned out anyway, and all the devs will see is someone playing their game that didn’t pay for it. 

14 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

You’re just perpetuating the system you hate, at this point. Which I guess is fine if you don’t care to ever change the situation. 

Boycotting (and not playing) the games because of DRM would work if enough people did it. But too many people share your opinion to even bother trying. 

And why make a FB account, etc? Simple. So it’s clear and unambiguous why you refused

to buy their game. 

But of course, if you pirated it, your message will be drowned out anyway, and all the devs will see is someone playing their game that didn’t pay for it. 

Which is fine by me since my opinion would go ignored anyways since I'm not offering millions in exchange for what I want. At the end of the day, I still get to continue playing the franchise that I otherwise would have to pass on or be forced in to supporting anti-consumer practices.