Help with RGB connectors and my Case, Fans and Motherboard!

Go to solution Solved by SpookyCitrus,
1 hour ago, Ja55ie said:

I see, yes you're right about this being very confusing. 

Just to clarify yo mean this:

5 RGB case fans -> daisy chained -> Case RGB elements -> daisy chained -> motherboard's single RGB header

The power for the fans are daisy chained to one 3 PIN fan header. Theoretically, I should be able to adjust fan speed via this method? 

or do you mean this:

5 RGB case fans -> daisy chained -> motherboard's  RGB header

Case RGB elements -> daisy chained -> motherboard's  RGB header

The power for the fans are daisy chained to one 3 PIN fan header. 

Thanks a lot. 

No it goes.

Motherboard RGB Header> Case's main RGB connector> Case RGB elements and 2 pre-installed fans> extra RGB fans.

Like I said it's complicated.
The Extra fans you want to install will connect to the 2 already installed RGB fans. The RGB lighting inside the case and the 2 pre-installed fans will already be connected correctly, all you have to do is install the extra fans and connect them together via the male and female RGB connectors to the pre-installed fan that has the free connector. Then connect the main RGB connector for the case to the motherboard RGB Header.

Hi, I am having trouble trying to figure what motherboard I need in order to get full RGB functionality from my case fans and my computer case.

The computer case i have is the AZZA INFERNO 310. This case comes with 2 AZZA HURRICANE RGB LITE RGB fans pre-installed. 

I additionally have purchased 3 more AZZA HURRICANE RGB LITE RGB fans for a total of 5 in my build. 

The manual for my AZZA case notes that it uses a 4-PIN RGB connector for connecting to your motherboard. It notes that you can control the fan colour and fan speed if you connect it to your motherboard's RGB header. The case also has RGB lighting on the front and side of the case too. The RGB connections for front and side are daisy-chained with the RGB connection for the fans (2 pre-installed one, 3 additionally installed one). 

Right now I have all RGB elements in my case connected to a HUB in the case which ONLY controls the colours. 

I want to be able to control my fan speed as well - which requires the use of a motherboard with an RGB header. 

My question is:

1. What specific RGB header am I looking for in a motherboard if I want to be able to control the speed of the fans via software? 
    1. Some motherboard like the Z390 M GAMING only come with one 4-PIN 12V RGB header while others like the Z390 AORUS PRO WIFI come with two 4-PIN 12V RGB headers AND two Digital LED strip headers
  2. How many headers do I need? Can I daisy-chain all the RGB elements in my case into one RGB header on a motherboard and still be able to control the speed of fans?
    1. If not, then would I need to plug the daisy-chained fans into one RGB header and then the other two RGB elements (daisy-chained as well) into another RGB header to get full functionality?

Want to know what the cheapest motherboard I need to buy to be able to control all RGB elements and fans speed via software. 

Sorry for confusing post. Can clarify anything if needed. 

AZZA HURRICANE RGB LITE Fans Manual.pdf

AZZA INFERNO 310 Case Manual.pdf

| CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | Motherboard: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS | CPU Cooler: MSI MAG CORELIQUID 240R 
 | GPU: MSI 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X 10G OC | | RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 | PSU: MSI MPG A750GF Gold Fully-Modular | Mouse: MSI CLUTCH GM50 | Keyboard: MSI Vigor GK60 Cherry MX Red | 

| Headset: MSI DS502 GAMING Headset | Case: MSI MPG SEKIRA 100R | 

| Displays: AOC AGONAG241QX Gaming Monitor 24" & Acer CB282K 28.0" 2160p 60Hz HDR IPS | Wrist Rest: MSI Vigor WR01 Wrist  Rest | 

SSD TIER LIST

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X

Mobo - ASRock X470 Taichi

Memory - G.Skill Trident Z RGB (8x2 3200MHz) 

Storage - Sabrent Rocket 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 2TBWD Black 1TB

GPU - MSI GeForce GTX 980Ti LIGHTNING

CaseFractal Design Meshify C

PSUSuper Flower Leadex II Gold 650W

2 minutes ago, VEXICUS said:

If your motherboard has only 2 fan headers, then you'll have to invest in something like this...

https://www.newegg.com/silverstone-cpf04-black/p/N82E16811999309?item=9SIAD6F76Z3154

I wouldn't be able to daisy-chain the rgb fans into one rgb header? 

Thanks. 

| CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | Motherboard: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS | CPU Cooler: MSI MAG CORELIQUID 240R 
 | GPU: MSI 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X 10G OC | | RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 | PSU: MSI MPG A750GF Gold Fully-Modular | Mouse: MSI CLUTCH GM50 | Keyboard: MSI Vigor GK60 Cherry MX Red | 

| Displays: AOC AGONAG241QX Gaming Monitor 24" & Acer CB282K 28.0" 2160p 60Hz HDR IPS | Wrist Rest: MSI Vigor WR01 Wrist  Rest | 

3 minutes ago, Ja55ie said:

Thanks. 

Nope

SSD TIER LIST

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X

Mobo - ASRock X470 Taichi

Memory - G.Skill Trident Z RGB (8x2 3200MHz) 

Storage - Sabrent Rocket 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 2TBWD Black 1TB

GPU - MSI GeForce GTX 980Ti LIGHTNING

CaseFractal Design Meshify C

PSUSuper Flower Leadex II Gold 650W

13 minutes ago, Ja55ie said:

Thanks. 

The fans should have two different connectors on them. One for the fan speed and one for the LED's. 

For the LED's you can in fact plug multiple into the same source with an adapter. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072K21JVF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

This case uses the motherboards 4-pin RGB Header for the case lighting and then you connect the fans directly to the case via an RGB connector the other two pre-installed fans will be connected to, if you look at the pictures of the fans they do have both a male and female rgb connectors which can be daisy chained to the other fans in the case. So you will connect the case to the header on the motherboard then the fans that are pre installed will be connected to the RGB system in the case and one of the two pre-installed should have an open connector on it to hook the other fans up, I try to avoid cases and fans that use this method because not only is it confusing to most people it's a major headache to get cable managed and set up, also most of the time the ones that do use this type of setup for the rgb are cheap off-brand cases/fans that are of a lower quality.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

1 hour ago, SpookyCitrus said:

This case uses the motherboards 4-pin RGB Header for the case lighting and then you connect the fans directly to the case via an RGB connector the other two pre-installed fans will be connected to, if you look at the pictures of the fans they do have both a male and female rgb connectors which can be daisy chained to the other fans in the case. So you will connect the case to the header on the motherboard then the fans that are pre installed will be connected to the RGB system in the case and one of the two pre-installed should have an open connector on it to hook the other fans up, I try to avoid cases and fans that use this method because not only is it confusing to most people it's a major headache to get cable managed and set up, also most of the time the ones that do use this type of setup for the rgb are cheap off-brand cases/fans that are of a lower quality.

5 RGB case fans -> daisy chained -> Case RGB elements -> daisy chained -> motherboard's single RGB header

The power for the fans are daisy chained to one 3 PIN fan header. Theoretically, I should be able to adjust fan speed via this method? 

or do you mean this:

Thanks a lot. 

1 hour ago, Ja55ie said:

or do you mean this:

Thanks a lot. 

No it goes.

Motherboard RGB Header> Case's main RGB connector> Case RGB elements and 2 pre-installed fans> extra RGB fans.

The Extra fans you want to install will connect to the 2 already installed RGB fans. The RGB lighting inside the case and the 2 pre-installed fans will already be connected correctly, all you have to do is install the extra fans and connect them together via the male and female RGB connectors to the pre-installed fan that has the free connector. Then connect the main RGB connector for the case to the motherboard RGB Header.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

16 hours ago, SpookyCitrus said:

No it goes.

Ah this makes sense now! Thank you very much !