Huawei given another 90-day extension before US tech-purchase-ban takes effect

Delicieuxz

US ban on technology & equipment sales to Huawei pushed back by 90 days

China’s tech giant Huawei will be granted a 90-day reprieve allowing it to continue buying technology and equipment from American firms, US Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross said on Monday.

The “temporary general license” that was set to expire on Monday will be extended for Huawei for another 90 days, the official said in an interview to the Fox Business Network. Thus the new deadline allows Huawei to buy supplies from US telecom companies until around November 19.

“Some of the rural companies are dependent on Huawei. So we’re giving them a little more time to wean themselves off. But no specific licenses are being granted for anything,” Ross said as cited by the media.

The commerce secretary added that more than 40 Huawei affiliates will be put on the ‘Entity List’, which bans American firms from doing business with listed companies. Huawei was added to the list back in May, but US companies were temporarily allowed to sell some products to the tech giant, while the ban stayed in force.

“We now have more than 100 subsidiaries on the Entity List,” Ross said. He noted that the move is aimed at making it more difficult for Huawei "to get around the sanctions.”

On Friday, it was reported that Trump was expected to grant Huawei another 90-day extension window to continue buying technology from US suppliers, before the ban would kick in.

Yesterday, however, Trump took issue with that report and rejected it, saying:

“It was reported today, I was surprised, that we are open to doing business [with Huawei], we [are] actually open to not doing business with them, so I don’t know who gave the report ... At this moment it looks much more like we’re not going to do business. I don't want to do business at all because it is a national security threat ... So, we're looking really not to do business with Huawei," and also, “It could be temporary and it could be not but we're making a decision tomorrow.”

And then today the 90-day extension was given. So, I suspect Trump is playing a negotiating tactic where he wants to keep Huawei on edge and ready to concede as much as possible, and just didn't like his hand being shown and his poker face being weakened by the leaked report.

Huawei clearly isn't depending on an agreeable resolution, though, and will continue development of their own Harmony OS, and some other things, like their recently-announced maps service that could launch later this year.

Related thread:

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

Good news if you have a Huawei phone, but it still doesn't help Huawei improve the chances of preserving its phone business. I wouldn't want to get a P30 Pro knowing that updates could stop weeks after I buy it.

Also, I suspect Trump (unsurprisingly) didn't know what the report was actually talking about.

18 hours ago, Commodus said:

Good news if you have a Huawei phone, but it still doesn't help Huawei improve the chances of preserving its phone business. I wouldn't want to get a P30 Pro knowing that updates could stop weeks after I buy it.

I'm wondering if/how this will happen. I'm really looking forward to Mate 30 Pro.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5-4690K | Mobo: MSI Z97 Gaming 3 | RAM: Kingston Savage 4x4GB | GPU: Asus Strix GTX970 | PSU: Seasonic M12II-620 Evo | Storage: MX100 128GB + WD Blue 1TB | Cooling: CM Hyper 212 evo | Case: NZXT H440

So hes trying to get China to come to the table. Trump and Xi Jinping really need to work out a deal. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

20 hours ago, Donut417 said:

So hes trying to get China to come to the table. Trump and Xi Jinping really need to work out a deal. 

Yop, Huawei is like Trump's bargaining chip.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5-4690K | Mobo: MSI Z97 Gaming 3 | RAM: Kingston Savage 4x4GB | GPU: Asus Strix GTX970 | PSU: Seasonic M12II-620 Evo | Storage: MX100 128GB + WD Blue 1TB | Cooling: CM Hyper 212 evo | Case: NZXT H440