Trying to make a Virtual Machine

I am trying to create a virtual machine with .5 gb of ram, and am using virtualbox, I need to find a os that can run a search engine. I have an i7-3700k and have tried to run a couple Linux distributions, but all of them fail... do you know any os’s that don’t need a lot of ram and work with my cpu? Thanks!

Annotation 2019-08-18 114526.png

Annotation 2019-08-18 114940.png

Edited by everettrules
Adding Pictures

What kind of search engine are we talking about?

Do you mean one for the internet like google or for files and folders?

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

Fail in what way? Not even RAM? A different error? 500MB is pretty strict. There are linux distros designed for "older computers" (tighter resources) They're Debian based. First ones that come to mind are:

SparkyLinux

CrunchBang++

Here's a complete list of light weight distros:

List

Outside of this only other thing I can think of would be Windows XP but you really shouldn't connect that to the Internet today.

In general when hosting VMs it should be understood that you need enough RAM for your host and your clients. Oracle VM VirtualBox only lets you hand out 50% of your resources which can be annoying but you should really have more RAM to spare.

4 hours ago, Windows7ge said:

Fail in what way? Not even RAM? A different error? 500MB is pretty strict. There are linux distros designed for "older computers" (tighter resources) They're Debian based. First ones that come to mind are:

SparkyLinux

CrunchBang++

Here's a complete list of light weight distros:

List

Outside of this only other thing I can think of would be Windows XP but you really shouldn't connect that to the Internet today.

In general when hosting VMs it should be understood that you need enough RAM for your host and your clients. Oracle VM VirtualBox only lets you hand out 50% of your resources which can be annoying but you should really have more RAM to spare.

Yeah, i have 8 gb but am trying to make as many as possible. Thanks! 

2 hours ago, everettrules said:

Yeah, i have 8 gb but am trying to make as many as possible. Thanks! 

Do you know if the reason the VM isn't loading properly is because of the strict memory resource or is it from something else? Outside of recommending very light Linux distros you may have to rely on paging files or swap memory if you really cannot add more RAM to the system.

3 hours ago, Windows7ge said:

Do you know if the reason the VM isn't loading properly is because of the strict memory resource or is it from something else? Outside of recommending very light Linux distros you may have to rely on paging files or swap memory if you really cannot add more RAM to the system.

Yeah, most of the error messages are cpu realated...

34 minutes ago, everettrules said:

CPU related? Did you enable VT-x in the BIOS?

1 hour ago, everettrules said:

You need to give more details if you want help...maybe a screenshot of the error. 

Also what are you trying to achieve? Perhaps a single VM with docker is what you're wanting to do...

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO + 4 Additional Venturi 120mm Fans | 14 x 20TB Seagate Exos X22 20TB | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

The key to getting assistance in ANY forum is to give details. "The thingy makes a noise when you do something" is really kind of dumb. So...

What are the exact errors?

Exactly what kind of search engine are you trying to create ( you are not going to compete with Google so forget about it)

Is this going to be out in the wild or are you limiting it to a home network only?

What outcome are you looking for?

All sorts of nebulous answers can be given that do nobody any good. For instance... frog. Salamanders? No. Sorry. I can't help you with that.

Oh yeah... and I hope your screen name isn't about the location... Everett WA... cuz I work in Everett and there is nothing about it that rules. ;)

10 hours ago, GuruOfNothing said:

The key to getting assistance in ANY forum is to give details. "The thingy makes a noise when you do something" is really kind of dumb. So...

What are the exact errors?

Exactly what kind of search engine are you trying to create ( you are not going to compete with Google so forget about it)

Is this going to be out in the wild or are you limiting it to a home network only?

What outcome are you looking for?

All sorts of nebulous answers can be given that do nobody any good. For instance... frog. Salamanders? No. Sorry. I can't help you with that.

Oh yeah... and I hope your screen name isn't about the location... Everett WA... cuz I work in Everett and there is nothing about it that rules. ;)

Sorry, here are a couple of screenshots. It is going to be home network and it will have one or two tabs open... it sounds really stupid but i am experimenting in the websites where you watch ads to earn gift cards/prizes. 

13 hours ago, Jarsky said:

You need to give more details if you want help...maybe a screenshot of the error. 

Also what are you trying to achieve? Perhaps a single VM with docker is what you're wanting to do...

Here are a couple of screenshots,  my goal sounds really stupid but i am experimenting in the websites where you watch ads to earn gift cards/prizes.

14 hours ago, Windows7ge said:

CPU related? Did you enable VT-x in the BIOS?

No, what does that do?

On 8/17/2019 at 10:44 AM, samcool55 said:

What kind of search engine are we talking about?

Do you mean one for the internet like google or for files and folders?

What ever takes up the least amount of ram...  My idea sounds really stupid but i am experimenting in the websites where you watch ads to earn gift cards/prizes.

3 minutes ago, everettrules said:

No, what does that do?

VT-x is virtualization support. You'll want to make sure that's enabled in the BIOS or else virtualizing anything isn't going to work very well. Your CPU does support VT-x.

For that Virtualbox message, as Windows7ge pointed out you need to make sure VT-x is enabled in your BIOS. Also dont know what Host OS you're using but it has to be 64-bit for a 64-bit guest as well.

Many of those websites employ multiple techniques together to validate you are a unique session. This includes IP address which different VM's wont resolve, or cookies which you could just run browser in Incognito mode to sandbox it. You could also run the browser sessions in docker to sandbox the session.  

Anyway this topic should probably be closed since its for deceitful activity. 

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO + 4 Additional Venturi 120mm Fans | 14 x 20TB Seagate Exos X22 20TB | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA