Tuning Fans via BIOS

datkern
Go to solution Solved by LogicalDrm,
3 hours ago, datkern said:

Thank you! I will check that out. Also not sure if you know but fans were not detected in the Gigabyte SIV but show up in the mobo BIOS for some reason.

I could just use the BIOS but wasn’t sure if you knew the cause of this?

Could be anything. Like need to update BIOS version. That was something I needed to do to get similar issues fixed on Gigabyte board.

I have finished my first build since many years and a lot has changed so I figured I would try to learn on these forums. I have followed topics on here for a while and I can see how great the community has been so I hope for a new beginner like myself, I can learn more about my rig and cooling setup.

I'm using a Noctua NH-D15 cooler with three 120 MM 1200 PWM Noctua fans, two on top and one on back and two 140mm 1200 PWM Noctua fans on the front. I am still in the learning stages but my PC is really quiet when just using it for casual use. However I noticed it started ramping up fast when I was playing a game, I could hear the sound a bit over my headphones. I figured this was normal since it's been many years since I've owned a gaming rig so I might need to get use to it?

I researched a 'bit online about changing fan settings in the BIOS that can make the fans quieter but also speed up when things get toasty. I wanted to ask if anyone has recommendations for me on what settings to use in my BIOS to keep the fans quiet but cool the CPU? I'm using a Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra mobo with an i9 9900k CPU.

Thank you!

Download SpeedFan and use that instead if your board supports it (Gigabyte boards may or may not, IIRC). It's so much more flexible than BIOS fan control settings. If you can't use SpeedFan, download Gigabyte's App Center and install SIV instead. Again, far better than BIOS profiles.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

Thank you! I do have the option to change in my BIOS settings as well but can try SpeedFan. Does it come with recommended settings to accomplish what I am looking for?

8 minutes ago, datkern said:

Thank you! I do have the option to change in my BIOS settings as well but can try SpeedFan. Does it come with recommended settings to accomplish what I am looking for?

Just make a fan profil in your bios its way better then using some software and SpeedFan is just a pain to use . And does the sound of the fan even really disturbs u just let them go faster so ur system stays cooler :D 

Speedfan might not work. It doesn't support most of the modern motherboards. So Gigabytes own software and BIOS are the free options. There's paid software called Argus monitor if you can't get things done with Gigabytes own thing.

You should try to use Gigabytes Silent preset first. Remember to see how your temps are. If you are using stock settings with voltage and clocks, you can see some unreasonable high temps. There's easy fix for those, by just limiting voltage manually.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

3 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

Speedfan might not work. It doesn't support most of the modern motherboards. So Gigabytes own software and BIOS are the free options. There's paid software called Argus monitor if you can't get things done with Gigabytes own thing. 

You should try to use Gigabytes Silent preset first. Remember to see how your temps are. If you are using stock settings with voltage and clocks, you can see some unreasonable high temps. There's easy fix for those, by just limiting voltage manually. 

Thank you! I"ll try using GIgabyte's software. I updated all my fan settings in the BIOS to "silent mode" with PMW setting but it was still quite loud when playing, didn't seem to make much of a difference. It also might be the GPU fans on my Nvidia Geforce FTW3 2080 ti, do you have any tips for that?

54 minutes ago, datkern said:

Thank you! I"ll try using GIgabyte's software. I updated all my fan settings in the BIOS to "silent mode" with PMW setting but it was still quite loud when playing, didn't seem to make much of a difference. It also might be the GPU fans on my Nvidia Geforce FTW3 2080 ti, do you have any tips for that?

You can use Afterburner for GPU fans. Remember to check those temps. If they are too high, mobo will boost fan speed to compensate.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

50 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

You can use Afterburner for GPU fans. Remember to check those temps. If they are too high, mobo will boost fan speed to compensate.

Thank you! I will check that out. Also not sure if you know but fans were not detected in the Gigabyte SIV but show up in the mobo BIOS for some reason.

3 hours ago, datkern said:

Could be anything. Like need to update BIOS version. That was something I needed to do to get similar issues fixed on Gigabyte board.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

26 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

Thanks again for your help! What is the safest way to update BIOS, just download from Gigabyte site and run the update from the BIOS screen?

35 minutes ago, datkern said:

Thanks again for your help! What is the safest way to update BIOS, just download from Gigabyte site and run the update from the BIOS screen?

Either way works. With this mobo I have been forced to use Windows updater. Just read the instructions and don't touch anything with its going. Only once you are sure it's ready.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv