DIY PC headers

Tyler_Hardware

I've recently been working on a custom RGB controller based on an Arduino Pro Micro that will appear as a Corsair CommanderPro, but in the PCB design stage I have hit a little bit of a snag.

I can not seem to find the spec of standard RGB and ARGB headers on a motherboard,  I have found a standard 4 pin fan connector, but can not seem to find any documentation on RGB headers.

AMD R9 5900X | Asus Strix RTX 2070 Super | 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro | Neo G9 | Full Specs

This what you're looking for?

Image result for 4 pin rgb header pinout

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

The addressable RGB strips are just neopixels or WS2812Bs from what I've seen

And for the non addressable ones, the pinout above is pretty much good enough to work from. +12v on the first pin, then ground the remaining pins to light up green, red, or blue

I am looking for the size of the actual header that goes onto the motherboard, I would like to be able to use the same on my own PCBs.

AMD R9 5900X | Asus Strix RTX 2070 Super | 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro | Neo G9 | Full Specs

9 minutes ago, Tyler_Hardware said:

I am looking for the size of the actual header that goes onto the motherboard, I would like to be able to use the same on my own PCBs.

They're standard 0.1in pin spacing, just like the old fashioned turned pin IC sockets.

13 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

They're standard 0.1in pin spacing, just like the old fashioned turned pin IC sockets.

The spacing of 0.1 seems to be correct but my square headers don't fit, might they be circular?

They should just be standard 0.1" pin headers. In eagle, look for pinhead > 1x4

ASU

7 hours ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Yeah they're turned pin connectors

I ordered some circular 4 pin connectors and will be testing them soon, I'll update everyone when they get here.

(still awaiting the circular connectors to test RGB headers)

Does anyone know an easy way to get right angle through hole SATA power connectors for the PCB?  I can't seem to find any on digikey or similar sites.

any particular reason why you don't want to use surface mounted connectors?

The SATA power has multiple pins for each voltage, so you can leave some pins unsoldered if you think you're gonna have a hard time soldering surface mount:

image.png.dc96dcec6767b99e7cbc9b5a62fda0b4.png

For example, if you want, you can can connect all three 12v pads on the circuit board together , and only the top three COM (ground) pads together, leaving the 5v and COM pins close to the 12v disconnected (no pads on your circuit board.

Or, you can leave out one 12v and one COM pad on your circuit board, to have more spacing between the COM and 12v pads - even with a shitty soldering iron, you'd have no difficulty soldering the pads of your sata connector to the circuit board.

You could actually just use a 6 pin pci-e connector and bundle a sata to pci-e 6 pin in the package which would also give you more power than what a SATA connector could do (sata is rated for maximum 4.5A  (3 pins x 1.5A per pin maximum) but personally I wouldn't use a SATA connector for more than 20-25w). pci-e pin gives you 75w to mess with,

The downside would be that you'd then need to have a local dc-dc converter to produce 5v from 12v because the pci-e 6pin connector has only 12v.

20 minutes ago, mariushm said:

any particular reason why you don't want to use surface mounted connectors?

The SATA power has multiple pins for each voltage, so you can leave some pins unsoldered if you think you're gonna have a hard time soldering surface mount:

image.png.dc96dcec6767b99e7cbc9b5a62fda0b4.png

For example, if you want, you can can connect all three 12v pads on the circuit board together , and only the top three COM (ground) pads together, leaving the 5v and COM pins close to the 12v disconnected (no pads on your circuit board.

Or, you can leave out one 12v and one COM pad on your circuit board, to have more spacing between the COM and 12v pads - even with a shitty soldering iron, you'd have no difficulty soldering the pads of your sata connector to the circuit board.

You could actually just use a 6 pin pci-e connector and bundle a sata to pci-e 6 pin in the package which would also give you more power than what a SATA connector could do (sata is rated for maximum 4.5A  (3 pins x 1.5A per pin maximum) but personally I wouldn't use a SATA connector for more than 20-25w). pci-e pin gives you 75w to mess with,

The downside would be that you'd then need to have a local dc-dc converter to produce 5v from 12v because the pci-e 6pin connector has only 12v.

I'd be fine using a surface mount one but I can't seem to find any that are just the power part.