Can I use NAS drive in a PC or a DAS?

grangervoldemort

Can I use NAS drive in a PC or a DAS?

I can get 20% off Western Digital drives.

2 x 10TB WD RED's after discount with free delivery comes to £511 (rounded up) - 3 year limited warranty

2 x 10TB Seagate Barracuda Pro's not including delivery comes to £650 (rounded up) - 5 year warranty

- Core i5 3570k
- GA-Z77X-D3H -- REV 1.0

- Samsung Green 8GB DDR3 C11 1600Mhz 30nm
- Gigabyte HD 7870 OC Windforce 3x 2GB

- Corsair TX 650W

- Asus Xonar D2X PCI-E

- TP-Link Wireless N Adapter TL-WDN4800
- Bluetooth Adapter - TRUST 17772

- OS Drive Crucial MX500 500GB

- Samsung BluRay ODD

Lian Li SATA power switch BZ-H06B
BitFenix Recon Internet-Connected Fan Controller
Zalman CNPS9500AT with Zalman ZM-CS5B CNPS Clip Support

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

yep, there just normal hdds with a few firmware and hardware tweaks to work better in dense and multi drive configs.

I edited my OP. Take a read please. As for what you wrote, a computer store repair guy told me that it's not ok to use NAS drives in anything other than a NAS. He said they are designed to be left on 24/7 and that they will break down fast if you use them in a PC or DAS where they will be turned on and off multiple times a day.

- Core i5 3570k
- GA-Z77X-D3H -- REV 1.0

- Corsair TX 650W

- Asus Xonar D2X PCI-E

- Samsung BluRay ODD

1 minute ago, grangervoldemort said:

I edited my OP. Take a read please. As for what you wrote, a computer store repair guy told me that it's not ok to use NAS drives in anything other than a NAS. He said they are designed to be left on 24/7 and that they will break down fast if you use them in a PC or DAS where they will be turned on and off multiple times a day.

Well that guy seems wrong, I have used nas drives in manay a desktop with no issuse. There really not that different.

Id get the wd reds of those options.

If you want a even cheaper drive, you can get these https://www.amazon.co.uk/WD-WDBWLG0100HBK-EESN-Elements-Desktop-Storage/dp/B07G364YHX/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=10tb+hdd&qid=1565467828&s=gateway&sr=8-1

and there normal drives in side.

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

Well that guy seems wrong, I have used nas drives in manay a desktop with no issuse. There really not that different.

Id get the wd reds of those options.

If you want a even cheaper drive, you can get these https://www.amazon.co.uk/WD-WDBWLG0100HBK-EESN-Elements-Desktop-Storage/dp/B07G364YHX/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=10tb+hdd&qid=1565467828&s=gateway&sr=8-1

and there normal drives in side.

I have a discussion here about those drives. They are NOT WD RED's 'normal drives':

How long have you used the WD RED's in a NON NAS environment? You wrote in past tense 'HAVE'. Did the drives fail?

I edited my OP again to include warranties.

- Core i5 3570k
- GA-Z77X-D3H -- REV 1.0

- Corsair TX 650W

- Asus Xonar D2X PCI-E

- Samsung BluRay ODD

Just now, grangervoldemort said:

I have a discussion here about those drives. They are NOT WD RED's 'normal drives':

How long have you used the WD RED's in a NON NAS environment? You wrote in past tense 'HAVE'. Did the drives fail?

I edited my OP again to include warranties.

I have some of those drives from externals, about 8 of them and there all working after a few years. Id just get those, the price differnce is enough to make up for a potientally slightly higher failure rate.

I move my drives around a lot, but they were in a desktop for about a year. No failures. I have about 120 hdds personally, and don't have many failures(maybe one a year).

5 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

I have some of those drives from externals, about 8 of them and there all working after a few years. Id just get those, the price differnce is enough to make up for a potientally slightly higher failure rate.

I move my drives around a lot, but they were in a desktop for about a year. No failures. I have about 120 hdds personally, and don't have many failures(maybe one a year).

120. ONE HUNDRED AND TWENTY hard drives? WTF? Why?! One a year is a lot. I have NEVER had a HDD failure.

I will NOT be using a NAS. I cannot afford to lose my data 'the price differnce is enough to make up for a potientally slightly higher failure rate.'
It is mission critical. I will be using the elements for backups in case you are wondering what I will do to ensure data safety. RAID is a luxury.

- Core i5 3570k
- GA-Z77X-D3H -- REV 1.0

- Corsair TX 650W

- Asus Xonar D2X PCI-E

- Samsung BluRay ODD

1 minute ago, grangervoldemort said:

120. ONE HUNDRED AND TWENTY hard drives? WTF? Why?! One a year is a lot. I have NEVER had a HDD failure.

Yep got a spreedsheet to manage them all. I just get them from random place.

I once got 22 working 2tb hdds on craigslist for free cause he though they were dead. 

Of that one a year, most of those are very used drives I get from old pcs that already have many years on them.

Anyone else?

- Core i5 3570k
- GA-Z77X-D3H -- REV 1.0

- Corsair TX 650W

- Asus Xonar D2X PCI-E

- Samsung BluRay ODD

Right now I have two Seagate ironwolfs in a RAID 1 that have been excellent for over a year. I have a third on the way now to make a RAID 5. can't recommend those drives enough

Optical Drive Poll: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1006309-optical-drive-survey/

Main Rig (Pulsar)

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X MOBO: MSI MEG X570 Unify RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RG(4x8gb) 3200Mhz 16-16-16-32 GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW ACX 3.0 Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S Chromax (LTT Edition) Storage: Intel 6000p 128gb boot drive, Intel 665p 1tb (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1tb, Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Tempered Glass PSU: EVGA SupeNOVA G1+ 750W OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bit  

FreeNAS Server (The Vault)

CPU: Xeon E5-2603 v3 MOBO: MSI X99 Tomahawk RAM: G.Skill Aegis (4x8gb) 3000Mhz 16-18-18-38 GPU: EVGA GT 710 Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED Storage: Intel S3520 x2 for boot, x16 in RAIDZ for storage, Seagate Ironwolf 2tb (Striped will be a steam cache) Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro Tempered Glass PSU: Corsair CX750 750W

The difference you'll care about is TLER:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Error_recovery_control#Desktop_computers_and_TLER

If an error is detected, instead of immediately handling the error like a desktop drive (a WD Blue/Black for instance) it jams up for 7 seconds so that a RAID controller has a chance to handle the error instead. So you'll certainly notice it hanging more if the drive becomes degraded.

Otherwise, everything else is more or less like a normal drive. WD's warranty doesn't mention anything special about on/off cycles (which are recorded in S.M.A.R.T.)

Would personally grab the Barracuda Pros, unless you are using RAID 1 and a dedicated RAID controller (e.g. not software RAID).

On 8/10/2019 at 10:16 PM, grangervoldemort said:

I will NOT be using a NAS. I cannot afford to lose my data 'the price differnce is enough to make up for a potientally slightly higher failure rate.'
It is mission critical.

In my experience not wanting to lose data is exactly the reason why people get a NAS in some sort of RAID or RAID-like configuration, e.g. have the stuff wherever it is, and make regular backups to the NAS.

Aside from that. I've been running a WD Red 3 TB as a storage drive in my PC for a few years now, no problems. The main difference, as mentioned, is TLER.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

1 hour ago, tikker said:

In my experience not wanting to lose data is exactly the reason why people get a NAS in some sort of RAID or RAID-like configuration, e.g. have the stuff wherever it is, and make regular backups to the NAS.

Yes but backup>RAID. RAID is a luxury.

Aside from that. I've been running a WD Red 3 TB as a storage drive in my PC for a few years now, no problems. The main difference, as mentioned, is TLER.

Do you not notice ANY difference at all?

How often does that tler thing affect you?

Seagate told me that the head parks more often on their NAS drives, so that makes more noise they said than the desktop versions. Any ideas on noise?

Also note that the WD RED's come with only a 3yr warranty. Barracuda Pro's come with 5yr.

- Core i5 3570k
- GA-Z77X-D3H -- REV 1.0

- Corsair TX 650W

- Asus Xonar D2X PCI-E

- Samsung BluRay ODD

If you would like to find out more in detail how much specifically in decibels an HDD makes noise then open the datasheet and write "acoustic":

1. https://www.seagate.com/support/internal-hard-drives/hdd/barracuda/
  2. https://www.seagate.com/internal-hard-drives/hdd/ironwolf/#support-tab

Yes! It is true that NAS type HDDs like IronWolf make more noise, although they are also HDDs that offer enterprise like value thou...

Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming

22 minutes ago, seagate_surfer said:

If you would like to find out more in detail how much specifically in decibels an HDD makes noise then open the datasheet and write "acoustic":

1. https://www.seagate.com/support/internal-hard-drives/hdd/barracuda/
  2. https://www.seagate.com/internal-hard-drives/hdd/ironwolf/#support-tab

Yes! It is true that NAS type HDDs like IronWolf make more noise, although they are also HDDs that offer enterprise like value thou...

Doesn't work? https://www.seagate.com/files/www-content/product-content/barracuda-fam/barracuda-new/en-us/docs/barracuda-pro-ds-1901-6-1701us.pdf

- Core i5 3570k
- GA-Z77X-D3H -- REV 1.0

- Corsair TX 650W

- Asus Xonar D2X PCI-E

- Samsung BluRay ODD

6 minutes ago, grangervoldemort said:

Oh yeah! You're right my friend, I'm sorry! Please open the User Manual instead. Some of the data sheets like the one you opened will not reflect this data.

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming

1 hour ago, seagate_surfer said:

Oh yeah! You're right my friend, I'm sorry! Please open the User Manual instead. Some of the data sheets like the one you opened will not reflect this data.

So ermmmm I don't get what bels are and how loud a bel is.... I see the bel ratings for each drive.

- Core i5 3570k
- GA-Z77X-D3H -- REV 1.0

- Corsair TX 650W

- Asus Xonar D2X PCI-E

- Samsung BluRay ODD

11 hours ago, grangervoldemort said:

Yes but backup>RAID. RAID is a luxury.

RAID is a luxury, but a pretty damn nice one to have sometimes. I'm not saing RAID is better than a backup, because it's not. In the scenario I'm describing the NAS _is_ your backup of important stuff that is on other devices. You can put your NAS in RAID 1,5,6 w/e to protect your backed up data should one or more of its drives fail. If you are really concerned about protecting your data you should put your data in multiple places, e.g. a backup in case one of your devices fails, a backup of your backup in case your backup fails and an offsite backup of your backup in case your house burns down and takes everything with it.

11 hours ago, grangervoldemort said:

Do you not notice ANY difference at all?

How often does that tler thing affect you?

Seagate told me that the head parks more often on their NAS drives, so that makes more noise they said than the desktop versions. Any ideas on noise?

Also note that the WD RED's come with only a 3yr warranty. Barracuda Pro's come with 5yr. 

They're optimized for efficiency, they'd be online basically 24/7 in a NAS, so they are maybe a bit slower than other drives? I don't really care about speed since it's for mass storage. My games are on their and it never bothers me. Maybe some loading takes a little bit longer once in a blue moon. As for TLER, it just means the drive won't spend more than 7 second trying to recover from bad sectors, whereas a normal drive will keep trying to recover forever. Bad sectors are bad though, so if you start seeing them you probably don't want it as a backup drive anymore, seeing how much you care about the data that's supposed to go on it.

I even have some at least 5 year old WD Greens that have seen heavy usage in a small cluster environment and they're still running fine.

The Red Pro has a 5 year warranty.

9 hours ago, grangervoldemort said:

So ermmmm I don't get what bels are and how loud a bel is.... I see the bel ratings for each drive.

https://generatorpower.com.au/generator-blog/generator-sound-levels-explained-noise-reduction/attachment/decibel-scale/

Decibels indicate how loud something is. It's logarithmic, so 10 dB increase means a factor of two in perceived loudness. You can Google around to find different examples.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

@grangervoldemort head parking is more a Seagate issue nowadays. It's configurable on Western Digital drives (many utilities to change it for their entire range) and you'll not hit issues with the default (20 minutes of inactivity before parking which takes 2-3 seconds to respin back up to full speed).

TLER is only an issue when the drive starts failing exactly as @tikker describes.

If you're thinking about performance then Tom's Hardware has some decent analysis:

https://www.tomshardware.co.uk/wd-red-10tb-8tb-nas-hdd,review-34230-2.html

https://www.tomshardware.co.uk/seagate-barracuda-pro-10tb-hdd,review-34183-2.html

TL;DR Seagate wins Sequential and WD Red wins random

There is a "feature" to put it in a way that can be de-enabled to help reduce noise (PowerControl) but first a little background on why Seagate uses proprietary technology that can be disabled and why it is not disabled by default. In HDDs standards, there is one that's used as an automatic power-saving feature that is activated during very brief periods of command inactivity without impacting performance, it is called PowerTrim technology, but PowerChoice now called Power Control technology (a proprietary implementation of T10 Approved Standard No T10/09-054 and T13 Standard No T13/452-2008) complements PowerTrim technology by enabling even greater power reductions that cover idle periods greater than one second. The result? PowerChoice technology decreases drive power consumption by up to 54 percent in enterprise environments. For example, a 1U rack filled with twenty-four 500 GB Constellation drives that have entered PowerChoice technology C mode delivers 12 TB of storage, yet consumes only 43W or slightly more power than a single 40W light bulb! Delivering a combination of energy efficiency and user flexibility.

Now I introduce you SeaChest, to use this tool you have to be familiar with executing command lines or it will complicate everything a bit, the download link is here: https://www.seagate.com/support/software/seachest/ To learn more about PowerChoice (PowerControl) you can open the User Manual from the link above and go to the section:

• ================================
    How PowerChoice Technology Works
    ================================

I will now paste some screenshots of the command lines that will help you disable PowerControl and thus getting a lower noise from the HDD that support this: 

How to disable EPC (Extended Power Conditions)
Note: PowerChoice has now been replaced with PowerControl

1. Download the latest SeaChest and install it in Windows.
  2. Next, confirm if EPC is supported and Enabled for the drive in question. First. get the drive's Handle which could be PD0, PD1, or PD2, etc. Copy and Paste or type in this command then Enter:
    • SeaChest_PowerControl --scan

• image.png.669cba58a6dfcd825a711c1999147545.png

3. Now copy and paste or type in this command then Enter.
    • SeaChest_PowerControl -d PD(N)

• Replace (N) with the handle of the target disk

• Scroll to Features Supported and look for EPC [Enabled]

• image.png.1e4d682d5917dc009c2d983644c0803b.png

4. To disable EPC on the drive Copy and paste or type this command then Enter:
    • SeaChest_PowerControl -d PD(N) --EPCfeature disable

• Wait for a message stating EPC was disabled successfully

• image.png.94c5c11dbd5462bde6c807a153138714.png

5. Now we need to confirm that EPC is disabled. Repeat step 3, Copy and paste or type in this command then Enter
    • SeaChest_PowerControl -d PD(N)

• Scroll to Features Supported and look for EPC

• [Enabled] should no longer be seen

• image.png.8e3c87878f227e4c354f37acfc2ba010.png

6.  Shut down the computer then reinstall the drive into the NAS if it was the case.

If you type in Google disable epc site:seagate.com you will notice that many models show up because many models support the EPC and thus giving one more option to help you reduce noise from your machine.

12 hours ago, tikker said:

The Red Pro has a 5 year warranty.

I never wrote the Pro version. The Pro is not available as far as I can see on WD's site, so no 20% discount.
The 10TB WD RED Pro retails for £383 https://www.scan.co.uk/products/10tb-wd-red-pro-wd101kfbx-35-nas-hdd-sata-iii-6gb-s-7200rpm-256mb-cache-shock-sensor-ncq-oem

12 hours ago, tikker said:

https://generatorpower.com.au/generator-blog/generator-sound-levels-explained-noise-reduction/attachment/decibel-scale/

Decibels indicate how loud something is. It's logarithmic, so 10 dB increase means a factor of two in perceived loudness. You can Google around to find different examples.

He wrote BELS. Not Decibels.

- Core i5 3570k
- GA-Z77X-D3H -- REV 1.0

- Corsair TX 650W

- Asus Xonar D2X PCI-E

- Samsung BluRay ODD

37 minutes ago, grangervoldemort said:

I never wrote the Pro version. The Pro is not available as far as I can see on WD's site, so no 20% discount.
The 10TB WD RED Pro retails for £383 https://www.scan.co.uk/products/10tb-wd-red-pro-wd101kfbx-35-nas-hdd-sata-iii-6gb-s-7200rpm-256mb-cache-shock-sensor-ncq-oem

He wrote BELS. Not Decibels.

Calm down. The unit is bel, "deci" is a prefix meaning "a tenth", so 10 decibel is 1 bel.