Fix loose fin on cooler?

vong

Hi all,

I've got a Noctua NH-D15 and one of the fins on the top of the cooler is a bit loose and it's causing a little tinny rattle. Can I fix this?

Main PC CPU: 7700K, MOBO: Asus Strix, GPU: Aorus Extreme 3080, PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750, RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB Storage: 970 Evo 1tb

Lounge PC CPU: 4790K MOBO: Asus Hero VII GPU: EVGA 3060 Ti PSU: Corsair RM650 RAM: Kingston HyperX 16gb Storage: 970 Evo 1TB

Get a hotgun / glue in the fins holder. or place a rubber spacer between the fins.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

Given Noctua's track record for customer service, I'd get in touch with them first.  This definitely isn't normal, so I wouldn't be surprised if they'd send you a new one even if the rattling one is out of warranty.

How long have you had it? Noctua has 6 years warranty, if memory serves me.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

9 hours ago, Captain Chaos said:

Given Noctua's track record for customer service, I'd get in touch with them first.  This definitely isn't normal, so I wouldn't be surprised if they'd send you a new one even if the rattling one is out of warranty.

8 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

How long have you had it? Noctua has 6 years warranty, if memory serves me.

I bought it used.

Main PC CPU: 7700K, MOBO: Asus Strix, GPU: Aorus Extreme 3080, PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750, RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB Storage: 970 Evo 1tb

Lounge PC CPU: 4790K MOBO: Asus Hero VII GPU: EVGA 3060 Ti PSU: Corsair RM650 RAM: Kingston HyperX 16gb Storage: 970 Evo 1TB

Are you sure it's the fin? Have you tried bending it back? How far up is the fin?

Check and make sure there isn't a cable caught between the fan and fin stack and that the fan clips are on the same fins and not crooked on the cooler.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

4 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

Are you sure it's the fin? Have you tried bending it back? How far up is the fin?

Check and make sure there isn't a cable caught between the fan and fin stack and that the fan clips are on the same fins and not crooked on the cooler.

Definitely the fin. The top one, seems like a couple of the solders(?) broke from the stack.

20 minutes ago, vong said:

Definitely the fin. The top one, seems like a couple of the solders(?) broke from the stack.

You could contact Noctua about it or try removing the fin. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

6 hours ago, vong said:

I bought it used.

If you have receipt with original purchase date, you can still use warranty.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv