What should I upgrade, if anything?

What if anything should I upgrade?  

7 members have voted

1. 1. What should I do?

• Upgrade Asrock Taichi X370 BIOS and then upgrade CPU to 3600 or higher
    • Buy both CPU and new motherboard (either X570 or wait for a B550)
    • Hold off on upgrading

I was considering upgrading my system to the new generation of Zen CPUs, but I'm questioning how much extra bang I'd get for my buck.  My system is about 60% for gaming, 30% for office and media applications, and maybe 10% dabbling with video and music creation/editing.  Currently I'm using a Ryzen 1700 on an Asrock Taichi X370 board, and a 1080Ti as the GPU (profile has complete stats).  Only hardware issue I currently have is the motherboard has one set of bad USB ports on the back, but otherwise is fine (BIOS has been updated recently, but I'm not on the absolute latest one for the 3k series CPUs).  I have some slowdown on CPU-bound games that aren't optimized for multiple cores, but otherwise most games are fine.

Po tay toes

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

10 minutes ago, PineyCreek said:

I was considering upgrading my system to the new generation of Zen CPUs, but I'm questioning how much extra bang I'd get for my buck.  My system is about 60% for gaming, 30% for office and media applications, and maybe 10% dabbling with video and music creation/editing.  Currently I'm using a Ryzen 1700 on an Asrock Taichi X370 board, and a 1080Ti as the GPU (profile has complete stats).  Only hardware issue I currently have is the motherboard has one set of bad USB ports on the back, but otherwise is fine (BIOS has been updated recently, but I'm not on the absolute latest one for the 3k series CPUs).  I have some slowdown on CPU-bound games that aren't optimized for multiple cores, but otherwise most games are fine.

I think you got your answer my friend with the vote tally and what not.

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

15 minutes ago, Turtle Rig said:

I think you got your answer my friend with the vote tally and what not.

except only 1 person voted from what I can see lol.

I say its a toss up between keeping the board you have and going 3000 series or getting a new board and going 3000 series. All depends on how bad you want those usb ports fixed. You don't have to get a x570 though, plenty of cheaper options.

19 hours ago, paulmohr said:

except only 1 person voted from what I can see lol.

I say its a toss up between keeping the board you have and going 3000 series or getting a new board and going 3000 series. All depends on how bad you want those usb ports fixed. You don't have to get a x570 though, plenty of cheaper options.

I mostly agree with you.  In reality the couple bad USB ports in the back aren't inconveniencing me that much, especially when a USB hub plugged into the good ones works fine. So long as not other ports go out that is... Tech Yes City also did a video test of newer Ryzen chips running on older chipset boards and the results seem good.  I think that if I'm not happy with my performance I would lean towards upgrading just the CPU.

I was also curious if anyone else had my board with the newer 3k chips and their experience...or even other X370 boards with the 3k chips.

Well you already have the Mobo so just get the CPU and upgrade Mobo later if you find it lacking.

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430

Yep, if you are good with the usb issue just upgrade the cpu and save the money. Buy a usb hub lol.