Dissapointing Overclocking - Why even be an enthusiast anymore?

So Im sure you guys have all seen the discussions featuring Jay from JaysTwoCents, Steve from GamersNexus, and Paul from PaulsHardware.

Wether you support AMD or Intel, overclocking is coming to an end. Intel's Core I-9000 series of CPUs offer slight overclocking ability and AMDs new Ryzen 3000 series offers almost no overclocking ability at all.

This is very troubling, because while yes, it makes sense to provide your customers with full or next-to-full possible performance right out of the box rather than hiding performance behind a barrier for enthusiasts to discover, well; this is what defines the entire reason to be a PC enthusiast to begin with.

I mean why would you invest time and effort into learning how to tweak settings in BIOS just to loose single-thread performance (Ryzen 3000). Why would you buy a massive 200+ watt capable air cooler or water cooler if ur never going to really exceed the stock TDP?

This just really gets under my skin. Custom loop water cooling will cost the average user at least $300. Thats a massive expense just to look cool, and before now, we have actually had a reason to use them. But 2019 and 2020 looks to be the time of no more CPU overclocking.

So now, we have to ask ourselves, what do we do? Do we still water-cool just for the asthetics, you could argue the silence but you still need a pump and fans and a good air cooler wont even need to ramp up its fans at stock TDPs. So whats the point? Why are we spending so much money on these machines if its all just a waste and any random person can go to Best Buy and achieve the same performance?

There is a reason why a real car enthusiast modifies his/her car to be faster. And I think that for the PC Enthusiast community to survive, we need CPU overclocking. Share your thoughts.

Top-Tier Air-Cooled Gaming PC

Current Build Thread:

12 minutes ago, WallacEngineering said:

Just focus on memory overclocking instead.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

There is still XOC for both AMD and Ryzen. Thought the afore mentioned youtubers made that abundantly clear.

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

7 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Just focus on memory overclocking instead.

This is a semi-valid point but not only does RAM have little to do with being an enthusiast considering its arguably the simplest part of any build - open the package and stick them in lol, but; its incredibly easy to high-ish RAM clocks. Just buy a decent 3000+MHz kit and enable XMP.

Obviously we do alot more than that and we can push it farther, and things like AMD's Infinity Fabric do give us some additional room for tuning, but its a tiny difference at best.

But alot more revolves around CPU anyways. A nice case with high airflow, a sexy big air cooler or custom loop, a powerful motherboard with strong VRMs. Whats the point in any of these things anymore?

Current Build Thread:

4 minutes ago, knightslugger said:

There is still XOC for both AMD and Ryzen. Thought the afore mentioned youtubers made that abundantly clear.

So Im talking about the majority of us enthusiasts, not the 1%. LN2 will ALWAYS be capable of extracting more performance, we all know this.

Current Build Thread:

3 minutes ago, WallacEngineering said:

At least when it comes to Ryzen it can be a lot more involved.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

well what youre talking about used to be xoc back in the day. the hobby moved forward without you, apparently.

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

1 minute ago, Streetguru said:

At least when it comes to Ryzen it can be a lot more involved

Agreed, I do enjoy Ryzen more for this reason.

Current Build Thread:

3 minutes ago, knightslugger said:

well what youre talking about used to be xoc back in the day. the hobby moved forward without you, apparently.

Ok I already knew this too, what exactly does that have to do with anything? We are talking about the present and future of the PC Enthusiast Community as a whole. Not 1% special edge cases or 15-20 years ago.

Current Build Thread:

31 minutes ago, WallacEngineering said:

But alot more revolves around CPU anyways. A nice case with high airflow, a sexy big air cooler or custom loop, a powerful motherboard with strong VRMs. Whats the point in any of these things anymore?

You do realize that those are now simply the minimum to get stock performance, right?  The 9900k isn't fairy magic that makes 200w of power easy to run, it just makes that balls to the walls scenario dead easy to achieve

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

17 minutes ago, Damascus said:

You do realize that those are now simply the minimum to get stock performance, right?  The 9900k isn't fairy magic that makes 200w of power easy to run, it just makes that balls to the walls scenario dead easy to achieve

Well yes but all you need is a Hyper 212 and a decent mid-range board to do it.

I mean I suppose you could call it enthusiast level hardware thats required to do this but at the same time, its either not really true enthusiast hardware or the low end of the spectrum.

On top of this, as @FellTheSky mentioned above, its only going to get worse. Core 9000 may be capable of 200w now but the line up is old news at this point and Im sure they will get Core 10000 will give us more efficentcy, less TDP, and less overclocking ability just like Ryzen 3000 has especially because of 10nm.

Current Build Thread:

Overclocking has been dead for the most part for a long time. You can still do it but its been quite a while since it yeilded results that were the effort or stress on your parts.

With the new Ryzens they pretty much pushed them to the limit stock so it isn't needed. I would venture Intel will follow suit. Same thing with video cards. You can get a little performance out of them. Gone are the days where you can overclock something to the point where you can get next tier performance out of it. Now its just hobby for the most part.

2 minutes ago, WallacEngineering said:

Well yes but all you need is a Hyper 212 and a decent mid-range board to do it.

I mean I suppose you could call it enthusiast level hardware thats required to do this but at the same time, its either not really true enthusiast hardware or the low end of the spectrum.

On top of this, as @FellTheSky mentioned above, its only going to get worse. Core 9000 may be capable of 200w now but the line up is old news at this point and Im sure they will get Core 10000 will give us more efficentcy, less TDP, and less overclocking ability just like Ryzen 3000 has especially because of 10nm.

Please, show me someone with a 5.3ghz 9900k on a midrange board and 212 evo.  Or even the person running a stock 9900k on an evo, enjoying all of the ear blast and thermal throttling that 8 cores @5ghz will create

Not to mention, the true enthusiasts migrated to HEDT anyways.  The boards are all glorious, there's always an extra gtx or more to be squeezed out and you need good cooling

That's great isn't it? have been saving on locked CPUs for a while now.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

8 minutes ago, WallacEngineering said:

Press x to doubt

Intel needs more cores to compete with zen, so a 10c chip that is 10% more efficient per core will still draw a decent amount more than a 9900k.  Let alone a 12, 14 or 16 core chip 

As an overclocker

I'm fine with them getting better performance out of the gate without having to fiddle with shit

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

30 minutes ago, Damascus said:

Please, show me someone with a 5.3ghz 9900k on a midrange board and 212 evo.  Or even the person running a stock 9900k on an evo, enjoying all of the ear blast and thermal throttling that 8 cores @5ghz will create

Not to mention, the true enthusiasts migrated to HEDT anyways.  The boards are all glorious, there's always an extra gtx or more to be squeezed out and you need good cooling

You were talking about stock, which yes it can do, 5.3? Of course not. Then again, most people hit a wall at 5.1, and 5.2 stable is fairly rare. Im sure you are aware that 5.3 only really happens with good bins on water cooling.

Im not sure about you, but Ive always believed that you don't need a massive budget to be a "real/true enthusiast". Im sure as hell never going to spend the kind of money required for an HEDT system. R9 3900X is already massive overkill in terms of thread count for ~90% of regular users and enthusiasts alike, so Ill take one of those ?

Current Build Thread:

22 minutes ago, Damascus said:

Press x to doubt

Intel needs more cores to compete with zen, so a 10c chip that is 10% more efficient per core will still draw a decent amount more than a 9900k.  Let alone a 12, 14 or 16 core chip 

You never know, Intel is already lowering base core clocks on mobile 10000 chips in favor of IPC and efficentcy.

This may just translate to lower clock/TDP desktop chips as well.

Current Build Thread:

12 minutes ago, WallacEngineering said:

You were talking about stock, which yes it can do, 5.3? Of course not. Then again, most people hit a wall at 5.1, and 5.2 stable is fairly rare. Im sure you are aware that 5.3 only really happens with good bins on water cooling.

Im not sure about you, but Ive always believed that you don't need a massive budget to be a "real/true enthusiast". Im sure as hell never going to spend the kind of money required for an HEDT system.

9900k stock is 4.8ghz all core, a feat the 212 evo cannot achieve.  The minimum for stock performance on a 9900k (a full, unthrottled 4.8ghz) is a good cooler and an, at minimum, lower high end motherboard.   Not to mention, most enthusiasts will focus on an aspect of the computer - raw performance, maximum silence/power ratio, ultra small (sff is my jam) or blinged out aesthetic etc. etc. 

The performance guy will still get the performance, or move to HEDT

The silence fans get big loops not for an extra few 100mhz, but for the sweet sexy noiselessness

The sff guys are going to downclock anyways

Aesthetics peeps are in heaven right now, and never really cared to begin with

Now, you say you won't spend HEDT money.  But what is HEDT money? A 9900k + z390 board cost the same as an equivalent intel HEDT setup, so if the top of mainstream is an option, so is HEDT. 

2 minutes ago, WallacEngineering said:

You never know, Intel is already lowering base core clocks on mobile 10000 chips in favor of IPC and efficentcy.

This may just translate to lower clock/TDP desktop chips as well.

This would fix your worries, if the ne t flagship was a 12c @4.4ghz you could OC it to 5+ and have some great "bonus perf" 

But they won't, because then AMD gets to be the one with the fastest clockspeed and they lose a massive PR boost from being the fastest out of the box chips

3 minutes ago, Damascus said:

9900k stock is 4.8ghz all core, a feat the 212 evo cannot achieve.  The minimum for stock performance on a 9900k (a full, unthrottled 4.8ghz) is a good cooler and an, at minimum, lower high end motherboard.   Not to mention, most enthusiasts will focus on an aspect of the computer - raw performance, maximum silence/power ratio, ultra small (sff is my jam) or blinged out aesthetic etc. etc. 

The performance guy will still get the performance, or move to HEDT

The silence fans get big loops not for an extra few 100mhz, but for the sweet sexy noiselessness

The sff guys are going to downclock anyways

Aesthetics peeps are in heaven right now, and never really cared to begin with

Now, you say you won't spend HEDT money.  But what is HEDT money? A 9900k + z390 board cost the same as an equivalent intel HEDT setup, so if the top of mainstream is an option, so is HEDT. 

This would fix your worries, if the ne t flagship was a 12c @4.4ghz you could OC it to 5+ and have some great "bonus perf" 

But they won't, because then AMD gets to be the one with the fastest clockspeed and they lose a massive PR boost from being the fastest out of the box chips

Ive seen 9900Ks on both a Hyper 212 and a dark rock slim. Yea, under synthetic loads they would throttle but only slightly at stock. In real world use, they were never an issue (gaming-focused rigs). While not necessarily a big problem, I did suggest decent twin-tower upgrades, just in case a 100% sustained load was ever necessary, not sure if they ever did it, and of course the dark rock slim did perform a bit better.

Hahaha you are totally right, Intel could never afford to loose the speed crown lol

Current Build Thread: