SOLVED - Air Cooler vs Corsair H45

mikiotty

Hi everyone!

I’m looking for a new cooler for my i5 4590.

I have to choose between a Corsair H45 (given by a friend at a good price) and an air cooler of some sort. I’ve heard the H45 is quite noisy. 
The case is a Corsair Spec Alpha. 
Which cooler do you recommend in the 35-40€ budget? I’d love to keep the system as quiet as possible. 
Thank you!

3 minutes ago, mikiotty said:

Hi everyone!

I’m looking for a new cooler for my i5 4590.

I have to choose between a Corsair H45 (given by a friend at a good price) and an air cooler of some sort. I’ve heard the H45 is quite noisy. 
The case is a Corsair Spec Alpha. 
Which cooler do you recommend in the 35-40€ budget? I’d love to keep the system as quiet as possible. 
Thank you!

H45 is a bit overkill for a locked chip unless your board supports BCLK overclocking. Additionally AIOs do degrade over time. I would be hesitant to use a used AIO. I haven't aircooled myself lately so I don't know what's replaced the Hyper 212 Evo as Price/Perf king.

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

5 minutes ago, rcmaehl said:

H45 is a bit overkill for a locked chip unless your board supports BCLK overclocking. Additionally AIOs do degrade over time. I would be hesitant to use a used AIO. I haven't aircooled myself lately so I don't know what's replaced the Hyper 212 Evo as Price/Perf king.

At the moment I have a Raijintek Aidos with Noctua NT-H2 thermal compound, but I need it for another build with low TDP and I’m not so satisfied with its performance (55-60C in CPU intensive tasks). 
Thanks for the advice on used AIO, I’m more keen on air cooling now. 
I’d love a dual tower cooler, also for future proofing. 

Just get some air cooler for the money, should be quieter and last way longer

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

31 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

Just get some air cooler for the money, should be quieter and last way longer

Can you recommend one in particular?

4 hours ago, mikiotty said:

At the moment I have a Raijintek Aidos with Noctua NT-H2 thermal compound, but I need it for another build with low TDP and I’m not so satisfied with its performance (55-60C in CPU intensive tasks). 

55-60c at load is already great. Excessively low temps don't provide any practical benefit so I'm not sure why you want lower temps. 

3 hours ago, mikiotty said:

The Phantom is a pretty good upgrade over the Aidos.

What case and ram are you using? Where are you shopping / located?

What kind of price are you looking at for the H45? It's mainly noisy due to the high rpm fan but you don't need to run it very high for ample cooling. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

3 hours ago, mikiotty said:

Can you recommend one in particular?

Depends on how much you have to spend really

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

12 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

55-60c at load is already great. Excessively low temps don't provide any practical benefit so I'm not sure why you want lower temps. 

The Phantom is a pretty good upgrade over the Aidos.

What case and ram are you using? Where are you shopping / located?

What kind of price are you looking at for the H45? It's mainly noisy due to the high rpm fan but you don't need to run it very high for ample cooling. 

Case is a Corsair Spec Alpha, RAM is a normal DDR3 without heatsink. 
I am in Italy and I would buy on Amazon IT. 

10 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

Depends on how much you have to spend really

No more than 45€

16 minutes ago, mikiotty said:

No more than 45€

Freezer 34 esports duo? The phantom you suggested should also be good

Builds:

Spoiler

32 minutes ago, mikiotty said:

Case is a Corsair Spec Alpha, RAM is a normal DDR3 without heatsink. 
I am in Italy and I would buy on Amazon IT. 

Can't really beat the Phantom especially for the price unless the H45 is even cheaper. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.