Switching which GPU renders on Desktop.

Go to solution Solved by crosstiger,
1 hour ago, GraveBolt said:

Anyone have suggestions?

Yes, don't do this.

Running nvidia and amd gpus in the same system is a bad idea. Yes it can work, but it's a pain to get working. The cards will never work together.

A dvi-d to Displayport adapter is 10$/€ on Amazon. What are you looking at thats 40$?

I recently bought a 5700xt which was meant to replace my 1080. I normally have two monitor, a BenQXL2411 and an HP (unsure which model). The only way I am able to connect my BanQ is through Dual-Link as it is 144hz and my HP through HDMI. However the 5700xt does not have a Dual-Link and my BenQ cannot use the HDMI it has for 144hz refresh rate. So, instead of buying the adapter I would need, a roughly 40$ adapter, I, instead, am trying to have my 5700xt and 1080 in the same system, using the 1080 as my display GPU and the 5700xt as the rendering GPU. My problem is that my PC defaults to the 1080, and I've tried a handful of things to make the 5700xt be use instead, but have had no luck. Disabling the 1080 stops output, and there doesn't seem to be anywhere I can tell the PC to use one over the other. Sadly NVIDIA doesn't even show the 5700xt in the control panel for choosing which GPU senders OpenGL.

Anyone have suggestions?
Thanks!

1 hour ago, GraveBolt said:

Anyone have suggestions?

Yes, don't do this.

Running nvidia and amd gpus in the same system is a bad idea. Yes it can work, but it's a pain to get working. The cards will never work together.

A dvi-d to Displayport adapter is 10$/€ on Amazon. What are you looking at thats 40$?

If you find any grammar or spelling errors please fill out entry permit A38, thanks.

Greetings from germany

Profilepicture by Chibiterasu-chan

4 hours ago, crosstiger said:

Yes, don't do this.

This
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00DYRQXMK?pf_rd_p=46535598-d2e0-4bc4-8392-182d8c1e93fc&pf_rd_r=50ZM5F40BNWEZX66C59X
Taking a quick look at amazon, I see what you mean, however every cable I look at had a question of if it can do 144HZ and they all replay no. Looking around he web most articles on DVI say yes... I assume it can run this, and the people replying on amazon just don't know how to configure their FPS. Thanks, I'll get the DVI to Displayport

16 minutes ago, GraveBolt said:

This
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00DYRQXMK?pf_rd_p=46535598-d2e0-4bc4-8392-182d8c1e93fc&pf_rd_r=50ZM5F40BNWEZX66C59X
Taking a quick look at amazon, I see what you mean, however every cable I look at had a question of if it can do 144HZ and they all replay no. Looking around he web most articles on DVI say yes... I assume it can run this, and the people replying on amazon just don't know how to configure their FPS. Thanks, I'll get the DVI to Displayport

Ah i see. An active adapter.

What res are you running? Not 100% positive if you need and active adapter for 1080p 144hz but it surely wont hurt. I never used one so I cant guaratee that 144hz will work. Dont see why it shouldn't.

If you find any grammar or spelling errors please fill out entry permit A38, thanks.

Greetings from germany

3 hours ago, crosstiger said:

What res are you running? Not 100% positive if you need and active adapter for 1080p 144hz but it surely wont hurt. I never used one so I cant guaratee that 144hz will work. Dont see why it shouldn't.

1080p 144hz native, with pixel densening up to 4K 144hz. I'll be getting this tomorrow at a Best Buy not too far from where I live, better than waiting 5 days for shipping.
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B014RWWURC/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3DWYIK6Y9EEQB&psc=1

On 8/9/2019 at 5:13 PM, crosstiger said:

Thought you may want to know, I have the GPUS working EXACTLY like I want. They're both plugged in, they separate my monitors, as I have my secondary monitor (HDMI) plugged into the 5700XT and my main monitor (Daul Link) in the 1080. Both GPUs share memory, even though one had GDDR5 and the other GDDR6. If I run a game on one monitor it uses the GPU the monitor it plugged into. So far every game registers 16GB shared GPU memory, the 5700XT gives maybe a 20% boost in FPS to my stock 1080, which is great, but my gtx 1080 can clock to 2.2GHz, which basically closes the gap, and the 5700xt doesn't seem to have ANY overclocking room. I'll still buy that adapter so I can use the one GPU, but it's interesting to have 16BG of dedicated GPU memory. Thanks for your help.

frwegwe.PNG

9 hours ago, GraveBolt said:

Thought you may want to know, I have the GPUS working EXACTLY like I want. They're both plugged in, they separate my monitors, as I have my secondary monitor (HDMI) plugged into the 5700XT and my main monitor (Daul Link) in the 1080. Both GPUs share memory, even though one had GDDR5 and the other GDDR6. If I run a game on one monitor it uses the GPU the monitor it plugged into. So far every game registers 16GB shared GPU memory, the 5700XT gives maybe a 20% boost in FPS to my stock 1080, which is great, but my gtx 1080 can clock to 2.2GHz, which basically closes the gap, and the 5700xt doesn't seem to have ANY overclocking room. I'll still buy that adapter so I can use the one GPU, but it's interesting to have 16BG of dedicated GPU memory. Thanks for your help.

If it works for you thats great! The shared memory thing is likely a windows thing. The cards wont actually share their memory - that would be very confusing.

Greetings from germany

On 8/11/2019 at 6:01 AM, crosstiger said:

If it works for you thats great! The shared memory thing is likely a windows thing. The cards wont actually share their memory - that would be very confusing.

Yeah, that's what I thought, however pushing the GPU memory to it's limit, 12GB it didn't show any stuttering, normally a sign of lack of ram V-ram.