2004 - 2005 windows xp build

Hey so I was planning on building a badass gaming rig from 2004 - 2005 and I need some suggestions in hardware since I've been having a hard time nailing down what would be a good system. I already have the monitor which is gonna be a ViewSonic p95f+ (wanted to go with a crt for refresh rate, and I may run some dos games virtually so they stand to benefit from the crt), but I wanted some advice on cpu and graphics. There's a free geek near me so I'm gonna be going there to try to source some parts, but I kind of want an idea of what to look for.

for a gpu you'd want one or two 7800 gtx's which was available in 2005. 7900 was only 2006

cpu you'll want pentium extreme edition 840 which was available 2005

for a board you'd want something running nforce 4 which was around 2005 or nforce 4 sli

for a hdd a western digital raptor

for ram you'll probably be stuck using whatever the board supports , don't go too nuts with the ram the system will run better with 2-4gb

18 minutes ago, emosun said:

for a gpu you'd want one or two 7800 gtx's which was available in 2005. 7900 was only 2006

for a board you'd want something running nforce 4 which was around 2005 or nforce 4 sli

for ram you'll probably be stuck using whatever the board supports , don't go too nuts with the ram the system will run better with 2-4gb

3 gbs, 32 bits, xp, 3 gbs of ram

7 minutes ago, goto10 said:

3 gbs, 32 bits, xp, 3 gbs of ram

xp is 64bit as well not to mention 3gb of ram would disallow dual channel mode

4 minutes ago, emosun said:

xp is 64bit as well not to mention 3gb of ram would disallow dual channel mode

xp is not 64 bits, you need to patch it to 64 bit, and that doesnt mean that games or apps will use 4 gbs

also a old intel cpu most likely wl be 32 bit only

3 gbs

30 minutes ago, emosun said:

Thanks for the quick feedback. Any suggestions on a soundcard or do you think I could use my magni and modi combo over USB 2.0. I know they have a driver for USB 2.0 but I don't know if it supports xp

an nforce board would have pretty decent sound onboard

2 minutes ago, goto10 said:

xp is not 64 bits, you need to patch it to 64 bit, and that doesnt mean that games or apps will use 4 gbs

also a old intel cpu most likely wl be 32 bit only

3 gbs

i feel much of what you've typed is very very searchable without making mistaken claims

such as xp 64 bit .... and how this machine would post date 64 bit cpus by a few years as well

3 minutes ago, emosun said:

an nforce board would have pretty decent sound onboard

Oh ok cool

Gosh, I had a pair of 7800GTX in SLI at one point, absolutely ROOM HEATERS especially with the single slot coolers. I would suggest trying to find some with better coolers than the single slot design or using an aftermarket cooler on them. SLI was buggy too, had to reboot to enable it every time which knocked me out of my dual monitor setup. Things I do not miss...

Oh for CRT, track down a Trinitron flat tube. Absolute best picture you'll get on consumer grade displays for that era. An IBM P96 would be an excellent choice, up to 1600x1200 at 85hz

7 hours ago, emosun said:

i feel much of what you've typed is very very searchable without making mistaken claims

such as xp 64 bit .... and how this machine would post date 64 bit cpus by a few years as well

well, search for the suggested cpu, see on intel if it comes with any form of 64 bit support, if it comes, you need to find the way to convert the windows xp to 64 bits

remember that amd moved to 64 bits rather fast in 2005 but intel didnt, they sold laptops 32 bit only for many many years after, same for desktops until they adopted 64 bits from amd

dont believe me, you can find that information by yourself, i bougth and assembled many pcs in that time, amd 64 bits even on semproms, but intel, not everywhere

yeah.. this prove me stuff to wreck someones thread isn't what our community is about..

thread cleaned.. anymore and we'll fix some accounts for it.. capiche?