HP z820 - Dual Graphics Cards Boot issues (Unraid)

Hey all, first time posting and was wondering if this is something anyone can help with

I've got a HP z820 workstation I've been using as my server recently, wanted to add in my Zotac 1080 mini from my old rig that died and pass it through to my VM to create a gaming VM. However I can't get the z820 to boot with more than one graphics card in it. Got a GT 710 in at the moment that allows the system to boot into unraid. However if I add another card get the 6 beeps code. Tried both the 1080 I have and a quadro 4000 as well, using different slot configurations but no luck.

Anyone that can provide some assistance or insight?

Other Spec's -

Version: Unraid 6.7.2 / Machine: HP Z820 / PSU: 1500W HP / CPU: Dual Xeon 2643 V2 (6 core, 12 Thread, 3.5 GHz) / RAM: 72GB DDR3 ECC / Cache: 2 x Crucial M500 240GB / Parity: WD 4TB Red / Array: 3x WD 4TB Red, 3 x WD 3TB Green / Unassigned: 2 x Samsung 840 EVO 500GB,/ GPU: GeForce GT 710 

Update - made sure the BIOS is the latest revision was v3.5 now v3.95

Still no luck

Does your configuration have a spare PCI-E x1 slot and can you boot into the bios in any configuration?

1 hour ago, phoenixflower said:

Does your configuration have a spare PCI-E x1 slot and can you boot into the bios in any configuration?

Not sure what you mean?

There's 7 pci slots, see picture attached,

1 - PCIe3 x8(4)
2 - PCIe3 x16
3 - PCIe3 x16 (8)
4 - PCIe3 x16
5 - PCIe2 x8(4)
6 - PCIe3 x16
7 - PCI 32/33

Currently the GT710 is in slot 1 and the system boots correctly.

Putting the 1080 in slot 3 (as where best fits) it wont boot.

Alternatively putting the quadro in slot 6 still wont boot.

Lastly putting the GT710 in slot 2 and the quadro in slot 6 still wont boot. These two slots are the ones that HP says a dual graphics configuration would be supplied with.

image.png

Okay, slot 1 and 5 could be candidates for the following.  Check your bios for the phrase csm, or csm compatiblity.  Alternatives call HP and ask them how to get the motherboard to boot your OS into UEFI mode and not legacy mode. 

This guide seems to be it: https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03465686

Now the way a normal motherboard works and I doubt HP changed this just for branding reasons.  In Legacy mode (default) your motherboard will try to use one of the CPU PCI-E landes first for POSTing and then default to chipset lanes.

For UEFI mode, the reverse will happen.  To reduce the complexity of your project use something this : https://www.amazon.com/ZOTAC-GeForce-Profile-Graphic-ZT-71304-20L/dp/B01E9Z2D60/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=pci-e+x1+graphics+card&qid=1564950032&s=gateway&sr=8-1 .  In your PCI-E x4 slots.  The PCI-E x4 slots are probably chipset slots.  Alternatively you can either look in the manual for your specific build which lanes are connected directly to the CPU and which are connected to the chipset.

UnRaid can be a bit finicky at times.  Normally with your PCI-E setup, the motherboard comes with a BCM (a built in video card solution on the motherboard), I'm sure your specific build is throwing their software for a loop.

UEFI booting also reduces overall stress on the motherboard.  If you installed UnRaid while in Legacy mode it is likely you will have to re-install it when you enable UEFI mode.