Strix x570-E or TUF Gaming x570 (Wi-fi)

Right now I'm kind of split between these two motherboards and I can't really decide. The price difference is around $200 CAD where I am. 

I'll be getting the Ryzen 7 3700x and my usage will be somewhat 'average' and may suggest that I don't need the Strix but I'd like some confirmation.

What are some of the extra capabilities of the Strix?

I don't really plan on overclock the 3700x right away, but may overclock it to 4.4-4.6 GHz max. I have never overclocked RAM before, so I might not need to do that ever, but it would be nice to be ABLE to. As far as I know, I think the RAM overclocking capabilities of both boards are around the same.

Please let me know any pros/cons (probably not many cons except the $200 gap) that I should know!

Buying tuf have pretty much the same VRM thing for all strix boards, iirc. 

I have the TUF x570 and have no regrets what-so-ever. I have it paired with a 3600 and 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX. Wifi and BT was an important feature for me, but unless you have a router that's going to run Wifi 6 I don't see any point in paying extra for it. I have all the SATA and USB ports I could ask for, and IF I ever decided to OC the VRMs would support it. Not sure about RGB on the Strix, but its basically non-existent on the TUF which is perfect for me.

Save your money and buy the TUF, use it to upgrade something else. The 3rd gen Ryzen's don't have much head room for OC anyway, so don't throw away money on boards with excessive features.

1 hour ago, ajm261 said:

I have the TUF x570 and have no regrets what-so-ever. I have it paired with a 3600 and 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX. Wifi and BT was an important feature for me, but unless you have a router that's going to run Wifi 6 I don't see any point in paying extra for it. I have all the SATA and USB ports I could ask for, and IF I ever decided to OC the VRMs would support it. Not sure about RGB on the Strix, but its basically non-existent on the TUF which is perfect for me.

Save your money and buy the TUF, use it to upgrade something else. The 3rd gen Ryzen's don't have much head room for OC anyway, so don't throw away money on boards with excessive features.

would you say the 1 GB Realtek LAN is worth it? Because I am wondering if 2.5 GB Intel is really is that much better

1 hour ago, ajm261 said:

also how is the bios? I remember hearing Buildzoid guess that Asus might make the bios trash for making a solid board for such low cost (something along those lines)

10 hours ago, sarah49b said:

Right now I'm kind of split between these two motherboards and I can't really decide. The price difference is around $200 CAD where I am. 

I'll be getting the Ryzen 7 3700x and my usage will be somewhat 'average' and may suggest that I don't need the Strix but I'd like some confirmation.

What are some of the extra capabilities of the Strix?

I don't really plan on overclock the 3700x right away, but may overclock it to 4.4-4.6 GHz max. I have never overclocked RAM before, so I might not need to do that ever, but it would be nice to be ABLE to. As far as I know, I think the RAM overclocking capabilities of both boards are around the same.

Please let me know any pros/cons (probably not many cons except the $200 gap) that I should know!

TUF X570 WiFi if you're looking for a budget option - it's probably the best X570 budget option board due to feature set and VRMs. Now, the Strix X570-E is better based on VRM comparison although that shouldn't be too much of a factor as most X570 boards can run a 12-core, and even a 16-core chip no problem. The feature-set is where the deviation comes in. The Strix-E has 2.5Gig LAN alongside the usual 1Gig Lan that every board has - whether you think that's an attractive feature set or not is down to you. This is just an example, there's more to consider like M.2 slots, SATA ports, USB ports both in the back and internally and etc. In terms of RAM overclocking I think the Strix-E is either as good as the TUF gaming or better - I can't remember.

My advice would be to compare features and see which one is more appealing to you, if you're tied on that then go for cost and aesthetics. But honestly, if I was looking at a board like the Strix-E, I'd also be looking at the Aorus Master, Taichi and MEG Ace boards as they are all in similar price brackets (maybe a bit more but they also contain a lot of attractive features). Crosshair VIII Hero is also worth looking at if you're looking at the Strix-E, imo the Strix-E should be cheaper and the Strix-F shouldn't exist. Asus' product line makes no sense to me but whatever haha.

Also, can I ask why you're only considering Asus?

Ryzen build -  CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Cooler: Corsair H115i Platinum RGB | GPU: RTX 2070 FE | RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB DDR4-3200MHz | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA P2 750W | Motherboard: MSI X570 MEG Ace | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 RPM | Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic

Intel build - CPU: i5-9600k @ 4.9 GHz - 1.28v Cooler: NZXT Kraken X62 rev 2 | GPU: GTX 980 Ti FE | RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeace LPX DDR4-3200MHz | PSU: Corsair RM650x  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra | Storage: Crucial MX500 500GB - Western Digital Blue 1TB 5400RPM | Case: NZXT H700 Black

Laptop - HP Pavillion; CPU: Core i5-7200U RAM: 8GB DDR4-2133MHz | GPU: Intel HD 620 | Storage: Samsung 128GB SSD - Western Digital 1TB HDD

Got the TUF board myself and seems to be great so far, of course cant compare it to any other x570 but the bios is easy to use and seems to have all the options you need for overclocking.

I think for the price you cant go wrong its got a great VRM as well.. 

17 hours ago, AvogadrosDog said:

TUF X570 WiFi if you're looking for a budget option - it's probably the best X570 budget option board due to feature set and VRMs. Now, the Strix X570-E is better based on VRM comparison although that shouldn't be too much of a factor as most X570 boards can run a 12-core, and even a 16-core chip no problem. The feature-set is where the deviation comes in. The Strix-E has 2.5Gig LAN alongside the usual 1Gig Lan that every board has - whether you think that's an attractive feature set or not is down to you. This is just an example, there's more to consider like M.2 slots, SATA ports, USB ports both in the back and internally and etc. In terms of RAM overclocking I think the Strix-E is either as good as the TUF gaming or better - I can't remember.

My advice would be to compare features and see which one is more appealing to you, if you're tied on that then go for cost and aesthetics. But honestly, if I was looking at a board like the Strix-E, I'd also be looking at the Aorus Master, Taichi and MEG Ace boards as they are all in similar price brackets (maybe a bit more but they also contain a lot of attractive features). Crosshair VIII Hero is also worth looking at if you're looking at the Strix-E, imo the Strix-E should be cheaper and the Strix-F shouldn't exist. Asus' product line makes no sense to me but whatever haha.

Also, can I ask why you're only considering Asus?

I can't really compare features that well because I don't necessarily want this to be a budget build, but at the same time I don't want to waste an extra $200 for features that I won't use...if that makes sense

I'm only considering Asus because I have a strix 1080 ti already that I don't plan on selling and buying a new one. This way my RGB can all sync up using Aura, plus I heard Aura is the best software anyways. Also the Master is more expensive and is way too overkill imo, then again so is the strix...Taichi is also overpriced where I live, even though I really like that board.

7 hours ago, sarah49b said:

I can't really compare features that well because I don't necessarily want this to be a budget build, but at the same time I don't want to waste an extra $200 for features that I won't use...if that makes sense

I'm only considering Asus because I have a strix 1080 ti already that I don't plan on selling and buying a new one. This way my RGB can all sync up using Aura, plus I heard Aura is the best software anyways. Also the Master is more expensive and is way too overkill imo, then again so is the strix...Taichi is also overpriced where I live, even though I really like that board.

Fair enough. My argument is that more often than not you can get more for your money if you try another board manufacturer than if you stick with Asus. 

Out of curiosity how much is the C8H compared to the Strix-E?

The Strix-E is a better board than the TUF Gaming with respect to VRMs, USB ports, M.2, aesthetics (this is personal though, you may prefer the TUF gaming in terms of looks, who knows), RGB, number of chassis fan connectors and etc. Whether those features are important or not is completely down to you. I like slightly going overkill with motherboards simply because I value looks, sweet VRMs, connectivity (although I'll judge based on what is the likely maximum  number of things I'll connect and preference: I don't need to connect 8 SATA drives. As an example, I'm happy with 4 SATA ports because I don't think I'll need more than that for what I do) and cooling (I love the fact my MEG Ace has a heatpipe running from the VRMs to the chipset, for example).

It's down to you at the end of the day. If I was in your position and I had to pick between the two boards I'd get the Strix-E. But that's just me.

Ryzen build -  CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Cooler: Corsair H115i Platinum RGB | GPU: RTX 2070 FE | RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB DDR4-3200MHz | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA P2 750W | Motherboard: MSI X570 MEG Ace | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 RPM | Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic

Intel build - CPU: i5-9600k @ 4.9 GHz - 1.28v Cooler: NZXT Kraken X62 rev 2 | GPU: GTX 980 Ti FE | RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeace LPX DDR4-3200MHz | PSU: Corsair RM650x  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra | Storage: Crucial MX500 500GB - Western Digital Blue 1TB 5400RPM | Case: NZXT H700 Black

Laptop - HP Pavillion; CPU: Core i5-7200U RAM: 8GB DDR4-2133MHz | GPU: Intel HD 620 | Storage: Samsung 128GB SSD - Western Digital 1TB HDD

15 hours ago, AvogadrosDog said:

Fair enough. My argument is that more often than not you can get more for your money if you try another board manufacturer than if you stick with Asus. 

Out of curiosity how much is the C8H compared to the Strix-E?

The Strix-E is a better board than the TUF Gaming with respect to VRMs, USB ports, M.2, aesthetics (this is personal though, you may prefer the TUF gaming in terms of looks, who knows), RGB, number of chassis fan connectors and etc. Whether those features are important or not is completely down to you. I like slightly going overkill with motherboards simply because I value looks, sweet VRMs, connectivity (although I'll judge based on what is the likely maximum  number of things I'll connect and preference: I don't need to connect 8 SATA drives. As an example, I'm happy with 4 SATA ports because I don't think I'll need more than that for what I do) and cooling (I love the fact my MEG Ace has a heatpipe running from the VRMs to the chipset, for example).

It's down to you at the end of the day. If I was in your position and I had to pick between the two boards I'd get the Strix-E. But that's just me.

Yeah did a little more thinking and came to the same conclusion as you with the Strix-E, pretty much dropped the TUF at this point.

The C8H is about $70 CAD apart.

I did a bit more research and found the Aorus Ultra and the Pro Wifi, they seem pretty comparable with the Strix-E but I think they have slightly worse VRMs. The Gigabyte boards also have a bit more USB i/o (but mostly 2.0) which is more convenient I guess, with the Ultra having more M.2 support. The extra M.2 slot is the highlight because I'll be getting another SSD (so I'll have 2) and that extra slot will be handy if I ever need more storage or if PCIe 4.0 NVME ssd's ever get cheaper. 

The downside I can think of is the Ultra having no post-code which might make debugging harder with only debug LEDs (from buildzoid). Is this true or only a problem for extreme overclockers? 

Another con, I haven't been able to find many Aorus Ultra reviews (only Master and Pro) so I don't really know how to compare it to any other boards aside from looking at the specs.

Any other downsides I should be aware of?

Basically my choices are based on this order: Ultra -> Strix-E -> Pro Wifi. I won't be buying the parts for another 1-2 weeks so hopefully some discounts will pop up and I'll get the one that is discounted the most I guess.

Edit: I realized that neither of the Gigabyte mobos have 2.5 Gig lan, whereas the Strix does(even though it's realtek)...something to consider? 

• 8 months later...
On 8/3/2019 at 5:04 AM, AvogadrosDog said:

The Strix-E is a better board than the TUF Gaming with respect to VRMs, USB ports, M.2, aesthetics ...

I know I'm bumping a very old post, but I was asking this exact question when the Strix E just went on sale.

I have the TUF x570 and so far I've loved it. I'm wondering what makes you say the M.2 is better on the Strix-E? they seem comparable and my Sabrent Rocket drive flies on the TUF.

I like the aesthetics of the Strix E a LOT better but I'm wondering if it's worth the upgrade. Thanks.