LEAF - Sustainable Smartphone

[media]

Hi, my name is Raphael Bastos, im an industrial designer from Brazil, and this is my graduation project. It was developed in 1year at PUC - RIO. I will release a development video as well. Im passionate about technology and i would love work with it and i think this project can make it happen, so please share if you like it S2.

Feel free to comment, i will respond to all your questions.

For more informations: raphaelessa@gmail.com

Portifolio: www.raphaelbastos.design or https://www.behance.net/rapzz

PRANCHAS YANKO-01.jpg

PRANCHAS YANKO-02.jpg

PRANCHAS YANKO-10.jpg

PRANCHAS YANKO-11.jpg

PRANCHAS YANKO-03.jpg

PRANCHAS YANKO-04.jpg

PRANCHAS YANKO-05.jpg

PRANCHAS YANKO-06.jpg

PRANCHAS YANKO-07.jpg

PRANCHAS YANKO-08.jpg

PRANCHAS YANKO-09.jpg

hate to break it to you..... not gonna happen. plenty of companies (including google) have tried to do this exact same thing. they all get cancelled. they never work. 

reference: google project ara

2 minutes ago, Saksham said:

hate to break it to you..... not gonna happen. plenty of companies (including google) have tried to do this exact same thing. they all get cancelled. they never work. 

reference: google project ara

Sorry, the video was not embeded.. please try to watch :D
BTW, the ara was my starting point, i think they went "modular" for the wrong reason and split the phone too much. 
But anyway, its just a concept, probably will never happen, but the main goal of a concept project is generate more ideas.. 

Thanks bro!

23 minutes ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

I don't think a kinetic charger, even if mounted on the wrist, is going to generate enough energy to make a difference.

People have tried, tried, and tried again. It won't work.

This whole project is completely a pipe dream.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

It's a silly design....

people have various arm thickness

some people are left handed

a round thing is gonna spin around your hand, so unless you track the physical position of the screen display's always gonna be looking the wrong way.

unless you go with something like color eink that display's gonna eat battery... if you use oled you'll have to keep the display off most of the time.

no company's gonna bother receiving back chips/modules/memory cards when user wants to upgrade... company has to test everything it receives just like new parts for warranty purposes and quality assurance, and cases can be scratched etc... also modules would have to be disinfected you have it around your hand, you sweat, maybe you have cockroaches in your house and you leave the phone on desk over night and bugs are attracted to heat as phone charges and so on ..

too much of a hassle... companies will just recycle by grinding down to small chunks everything and then separating the metals worth taking like gold paladium copper aluminum etc

unrealistic to have so many modules... you'd need to have two "universal" connectors per module at the very least on each module... but in today's world with high speed pci-e and flash memory you may not be able to have such long traces (ex have cpu and flash memory on the opposite sides of the circle, with 2-3 modules between them.... the length of the traces and inductance/resistance of the modular connectors could be a deal breaker.

not to mention esd... if you have so many connectors and the phone rubs against your skin and the connectors are metal ... wouldn't surprise me for esd sparks to hit the connectors.

imho the future phone i'd like to see is fully transparent phones like seen in star crossed (there's on in episode 1 if interested)

see video below at around 1:20 and 2:00 ( 3minute extract, spanish dub, original show in english)

12 minutes ago, mariushm said:

It's a silly design....

people have various arm thickness

some people are left handed

a round thing is gonna spin around your hand, so unless you track the physical position of the screen display's always gonna be looking the wrong way.

unless you go with something like color eink that display's gonna eat battery... if you use oled you'll have to keep the display off most of the time.

no company's gonna bother receiving back chips/modules/memory cards when user wants to upgrade... company has to test everything it receives just like new parts for warranty purposes and quality assurance, and cases can be scratched etc... also modules would have to be disinfected you have it around your hand, you sweat, maybe you have cockroaches in your house and you leave the phone on desk over night and bugs are attracted to heat as phone charges and so on ..

too much of a hassle... companies will just recycle by grinding down to small chunks everything and then separating the metals worth taking like gold paladium copper aluminum etc

unrealistic to have so many modules... you'd need to have two "universal" connectors per module at the very least on each module... but in today's world with high speed pci-e and flash memory you may not be able to have such long traces (ex have cpu and flash memory on the opposite sides of the circle, with 2-3 modules between them.... the length of the traces and inductance/resistance of the modular connectors could be a deal breaker.

not to mention esd... if you have so many connectors and the phone rubs against your skin and the connectors are metal ... wouldn't surprise me for esd sparks to hit the connectors.

imho the future phone i'd like to see is fully transparent phones like seen in star crossed (there's on in episode 1 if interested)

see video below at around 1:20 and 2:00 ( 3minute extract, spanish dub, original show in english)

i didnt post the development video, but i will explain.
Sure people have diferent arms, for that we create something called (Antropometric test image below) to ensure it suits the to the smallest woman to the bigger man. Plus LEAF has the capability to just work with 5 modules, if the person prefer.

About the rotation, that dosnt happen, i create models that work perfectly, as it pressures against the skin.

There are only 3 types of modules (Processing, Media and Energy) what so not that many, For me that was Googles Ara mistake, splitting too much.

Sure that are a lot of problems to be solved, but i dont think is impossible at all. its just a matter of investiment and engeneering. 

And about the transparent phones, that is my wish as well.. more screen, less "object"

Thanks for sharing your opinion..

Figura Humana Pulso.jpg

On 8/3/2019 at 4:45 AM, huilun02 said:

Neat school project.

Just don't try to commercialize it.

Take note of the date and time when you read this comment

Wish you all the best for you school results! :)

Thanks bro, really appreciate it..
My intention was not to commercialize it, rather to show a different perspective to how nature and technology could work together.. 
In this video i just show what the project can make, i didnt release yet the development video, that shows why and how.. cuz it would be too long(10minutes) for presenting the project.. 

My goal was never to solve technological issues that came with this project, im not a engineer, my target here as a designer is create new ways to interact with a product that has been the same since 2007(release of the iphone).

I understand that i am in a technology forum, so its normal that people just evalute the project from that perspective. and i always like a good critic, that makes thing evolve.

But anyway, why dont you think this project could be commercialized ?

I just upload a few prototypes pictures so you guys can understand it better

1.jpg

2.jpg

4.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg