Best noise cancelling headphones?

shazzam66

Hi all,

Heading to the USA in August and I'm looking to get some headphones for the flight to reduce the engine noise but still have good audio quality for the whole trip.

Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks in advance.

Coolermaster Scout 2 Case / ASROCK 990FX Extreme3 Motherboard / AMD FX 8350 8 Core CPU (Stock Speed) / Corsair H100i CPU Cooler / Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 WindForce OC 6GB / 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz CMZ8GX3M2A1600C8

Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/20323-scout-2-update-build-fx8350-h100i/#entry244058

DT 770

And budget? ^^

"Probably Because I'm A Dangerous Sociopath With A Long History Of Violence"

Hi all,

Heading to the USA in August and I'm looking to get some headphones for the flight to reduce the engine noise but still have good audio quality for the whole trip.

Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks in advance.

I have a pair of Audio Technica ATH-M50s that are closed, but noise cancelling, but honestly I can never hear anything in the background!

PROFILEYEAH

What do people even put in these things?

Active Noise Canceling usually sounds bad.. but Beyerdynamic DT770M is a headphone made for drummers, with extra isolation, you could take a look at those. 

Reviews: JBL J33i   M50s   SRH440   Soundmagic PL50           

Bose QC 15's have great active noise cancelling and the sound quality is good.

12600k | MSI MEG S280 | SSUPD Meshilicious | Asus ROG STRIX Z690-I | Crucial 16GB 4800MHz CL38 | MSI Gaming 980Ti | CM V850 SFX | WD SN850 1TB, WD SN550 1TB 
Pi 4TB NAS | Asus VG27AQ, Asus PB278Q | Logitech G Pro X Superlight | Glorious G-HXL-STEALTH | Keychron K4 V2 | Sennheiser HD 599 w/ Fiio E10

The amusing thing is, that the better the ANC, the worse the headphone will sound. And the inverse of. 
So I highly suggest that you look at a headphone that doesn't have ANC but passive attenuation, such as the DT770M or maybe even an IEM.
And unless you can find the M50 for about $100, don't get it, you have better options available.

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

No real budget, if they are good quality I will pay the money.

I'm after in-ear headphones because they are lighter, hope this info helps!

Coolermaster Scout 2 Case / ASROCK 990FX Extreme3 Motherboard / AMD FX 8350 8 Core CPU (Stock Speed) / Corsair H100i CPU Cooler / Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 WindForce OC 6GB / 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz CMZ8GX3M2A1600C8

Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/20323-scout-2-update-build-fx8350-h100i/#entry244058

this should help you.

The Bose QC 15 are the clear winner. They'll give you really good sound and superior ANC. However 300 bucks can buy you waaaay better sound quality but without ANC. You won't find too many closed headphones around $300, so I#d recommend a look at the Dt 770.

For more information, like reviews and frequency response graphs, visit http://www.innerfidelity.com/

who cares...

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

No real budget, if they are good quality I will pay the money.

I'm after in-ear headphones because they are lighter, hope this info helps!

IEM options

Would be the Shure SE215, er4 from eytomtic. There are also options from westone.

Thanks for everyones feedback!

IEM options
Would be the Shure SE215, er4 from eytomtic. There are also options from westone.

The Shure SE215's are looking on the money, good price and you can detach the cables so you can use them as 'earplugs'. I like.

Edit: I'm not that fond of the over-ear

Another question, what if I wanted Bluetooth noise cancelling headphones? that are in ear.

Another question, what if I wanted Bluetooth noise cancelling headphones? that are in ear.

Bluetooth bad, its a compressed audio signal, you read what I said on ANC. So you would be buying a shit on shit sandwich and it would sound as such. 

On a more positive note... Going wireless can have a huge convenience factor. I haven't heard of any bluetooth IEMs that also have ANC, but really any IEM worth its salt has good passive isolation.

As long as you remember you're paying for the bluetooth more than the IEM itself when shopping, and don't expect the absolute best sound quality, most consumers are extremely happy with wireless IEMs as far as I've heard. Steer clear of Beats/Monster and you should be good.

I may have had a few beers but I prefer the David Clarke headsets for noise isolation. The Razer blacksharks are similar. They're basically earmuffs with speakers, made for use in super loud helicopters.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

Trust me, you don't want that. My current headphones have bluetooth and i like it on the move, but since i plugged them into the back of my PC, i can't listen to them wirelessly anymore. It's just so much worse! I even got as far as buying new better headphones with not BT or ANC at all. Not interference, NEVER!!!!! :P

who cares...

I really like the Shure SE215's, I just don't like the over ear setup.

Anything else that is good as those without it being over the ears?

I really like the Shure SE215's, I just don't like the over ear setup.

Anything else that is good as those without it being over the ears?

You don't have to wear them over ear - just reverse left and right sides.

i use my klipsch s4a while on the plane. great isolation. the m50 does a great job too but the s4a are just more comfortable. 

You don't have to wear them over ear - just reverse left and right sides.

Excellent point

i use my klipsch s4a while on the plane. great isolation. the m50 does a great job too but the s4a are just more comfortable. 

Even with the drone of the jet's engines?

Excellent point

Even with the drone of the jet's engines?

yep. once you have something playin through the earphones, youre pretty much in your own world.