Which CPU do I go for now?

Hi there, 

First time posting on the forums, so sorry if this is bad!

I'm looking to upgrade my pc, I've had this pc for about 4 years now (I think) and haven't ever upgraded significantly in the past. Now that I'm enrolling in school again to finish my degree I think it's about time I upgraded.

I currently have an i5 4690k and was originally just going to get an i7 9700k (the i9 is a little out my price range) but then I watched Linus's video about the Ryzen 3 cpus and I'm not sure which would be better to buy (most likely a Ryzen 7 3700x)

My PC is currently mostly used for gaming and streaming, but when school rolls around again I'll be animating, modelling, programming etc, so I'm really just looking for advice. 

EDIT: I'm not too savvy on MB's so any recommendations would be greatly appreciated too! (I was thinking about a gigabyte MB as I have a gigabyte gpu and it'll be nice to have same RGB software for them both, but like I said I don't know much about MB's!)

Thanks for any help! :D

10 minutes ago, moondancer said:

when school rolls around again I'll be animating, modelling, programming etc,

3700X for sure

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

31 minutes ago, moondancer said:

What's your budget/country?

Ryzen 3000 is the easy choice.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

I would suggest the 3700x on a gigabyte auros elite x570 board. Its a decent x570 board for the price. You could get older gen boards cheaper but you will have to mess with flashing the bios to get them to work. I get the feeling that isn't something you want to mess with. The x570 board will work out of the box with the 3700x.

Are you re using your other hardware like ram, hard drives, gpu and the likes?

On 7/31/2019 at 6:31 PM, paulmohr said:

I would suggest the 3700x on a gigabyte auros elite x570 board. Its a decent x570 board for the price. You could get older gen boards cheaper but you will have to mess with flashing the bios to get them to work. I get the feeling that isn't something you want to mess with. The x570 board will work out of the box with the 3700x.

Are you re using your other hardware like ram, hard drives, gpu and the likes?

I'll be reusing my GPU and PSU, aside from that it should be a totally new build! (not decided if I should reuse the driver either right now, likely i'll just buy new ones)

I read about flashing the BIOS on older boards and didn't really want to mess with that like you said!