Macbook VS Matebook VS Surface Pro

Hello everyone. I will start university this year hopefully. I will start engineering. I want to buy laptop for my studies but i cant decide. Firstly of all Surface pro is expensive for me. I can eliminate the Surface pro. But  i really want mac or mate. I will use engineering apps, some coding apps, Netflix, Youtube and Spotify. Maybe i can play TF2 and CS. Can you guys help me for select laptop. Thank you all already.

2 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

Matebook 13/x pro all the way.

Maybe Matebook 13 but X so expensive.

But I am (maybe) AppleFanboy but matebook is so beatiful.

By the way Apple has a Student Discount and Beast giveaway.

38 minutes ago, PALGOW said:

But  i really want mac or mate.

May I ask why? If you really want MacOS the answer is pretty easy: MacBookPro is the best option you can get there. The MacBookAir does not make sense in my opinion, because it is not that much cheaper and just has a dualcore.

But why are you limiting the Windows options to the Matebook?

I used the surface for my engineering studies and I'm telling you: digital note taking is a godsend. I couldn't recommend it more. Get a last gen surface if you want, but get it. 

I once gave Luke and Linus pizza.

Proud member of the ITX club.

**SCRAPYARD WARS!!!!**

#BringBackLuke

1 hour ago, PALGOW said:

By the way Apple has a Student Discount and Beast giveaway.

So does microsoft. On their website you can order it with a student discount

Is macOS a must?

Neither 3 options are good imo

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

11 hours ago, NeuesTestament said:

May I ask why? If you really want MacOS the answer is pretty easy: MacBookPro is the best option you can get there. The MacBookAir does not make sense in my opinion, because it is not that much cheaper and just has a dualcore.

But why are you limiting the Windows options to the Matebook?

Macbook Pro so expensive for me. I living in Turkey and Macbook Pro in apple website is 11.000 TL and Macbook Air 2018 is 7000, 2019 model 8000 TL. So I cant buy Macbook Pro. This is my choice.

11 hours ago, LukeLinusFanFic said:

I used the surface for my engineering studies and I'm telling you: digital note taking is a godsend. I couldn't recommend it more. Get a last gen surface if you want, but get it. 

Can u suggest a Surface model or models for me?

9 hours ago, GeneXiS_X said:

Is macOS a must?

Neither 3 options are good imo

No not must but i really like it.

2 hours ago, PALGOW said:

Macbook Pro so expensive for me. I living in Turkey and Macbook Pro in apple website is 11.000 TL and Macbook Air 2018 is 7000, 2019 model 8000 TL. So I cant buy Macbook Pro. This is my choice.

Idk about your country, but i'll speak for germany:

You NEVER buy Apple Products directly from apple. 

Example: Macbook Air 2018 with 256gb Storage was 1599€ on Apple Website.

Other stores had it for 1360-1400€~, and these were very trustworthy shops.

And i found mine in an Outlet Sale for 919€.

First of all, you should try them out, and see if you prefer MacOS over Windows, or vice versa. THIS is really the most important thing. If you do NOT need MacOS, there is literaly no reason to buy a Macbook.

Currently, you buy Macbooks only for the Operating System. Since the Tech is pretty bad (watch Louis Rossmann's Videos). bad keyboard that can fail or not, almost not repairable, insulting storage prices, SSD or Ram can NOT be replaced at all.

How ever.. the Screen even on an Air 2018 is insanely good (Pro 13" even better), and the Trackpad is the by Far best in class. Period.

I would also prefer the new Macbook Pro 13" (1.4ghz quad core, 2x Thunderbolt model) over the Air. Only a small upgrade in price, but WAY more performance for the next years.

But yea.. It's really really damn difficult to recommend any Macbook, when you don't need/want MacOS over Windows.

4 hours ago, PALGOW said:

No not must but i really like it.

then get a business grade laptop like Thinkpad P/T/X - yes they don't look good but they are built to last unlike consumer grade laptops - better QC+QA

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

5 hours ago, GeneXiS_X said:

then get a business grade laptop like Thinkpad P/T/X - yes they don't look good but they are built to last unlike consumer grade laptops - better QC+QA

Dont think ThinkPad man. I dont liked it.

7 hours ago, Darkseth said:

Idk about your country, but i'll speak for germany:

You NEVER buy Apple Products directly from apple. 

Example: Macbook Air 2018 with 256gb Storage was 1599€ on Apple Website.

Other stores had it for 1360-1400€~, and these were very trustworthy shops.

And i found mine in an Outlet Sale for 919€.

First of all, you should try them out, and see if you prefer MacOS over Windows, or vice versa. THIS is really the most important thing. If you do NOT need MacOS, there is literaly no reason to buy a Macbook.

Currently, you buy Macbooks only for the Operating System. Since the Tech is pretty bad (watch Louis Rossmann's Videos). bad keyboard that can fail or not, almost not repairable, insulting storage prices, SSD or Ram can NOT be replaced at all.

How ever.. the Screen even on an Air 2018 is insanely good (Pro 13" even better), and the Trackpad is the by Far best in class. Period.

I would also prefer the new Macbook Pro 13" (1.4ghz quad core, 2x Thunderbolt model) over the Air. Only a small upgrade in price, but WAY more performance for the next years.

But yea.. It's really really damn difficult to recommend any Macbook, when you don't need/want MacOS over Windows.

With a small reserach in university some lessons and some apps just working in Windows. If i buy a macbook air i need the use virtual machine in macOS and it makes think  a lot.

35 minutes ago, PALGOW said:

Dont think ThinkPad man. I dont liked it.

Any particular reason? Also take a look at Latitude 7000 series and Elitebook 800 series

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

9 minutes ago, GeneXiS_X said:

Any particular reason? Also take a look at Latitude 7000 series and Elitebook 800 series

They are so clumsy for me. 

37 minutes ago, PALGOW said:

They are so clumsy for me.

Definitely not clumsy lol

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

Whatever's at least a core i5 and 8gb of ram. Remember you can't upgrade anything after you have it.

I once gave Luke and Linus pizza.

Proud member of the ITX club.

**SCRAPYARD WARS!!!!**

#BringBackLuke

If you already work with Applications, that only work in Windows...

One reason more, to get a Windows Notebook ^^

Guys I'm gonna use Autodesk apps, Unity, Unreal, Visual Studio Apps(visual code azure etc.) Python. I will play some light games. TF2, League of Legens, Counter Strike.That's mean i need cpu and gpu performance.Youtube, Twitch, Netflix, Spotfiy will use. And I founded this models.

Apple MacBook Air MRE82TU/A İntel® i5 1.6 Ghz 8GB 128 GB Intel UHD Graphics 13" Space Grey Notebook(last possibilty for buy)

Huawei Matebook 13" Intel® Core i5-8265U 8GB 256GB Gri Notebook( its really good for price/performance)

Surface Pro 6 + Type Cover Core i5 128 GB SSD 8 GB Ram(can someone explain me surface series)

1. Surface Pro 6 - 128GB / Intel Core i5 / 8GB RAM (Platinum)
  2. Surface Pro Type Cover - English
  3. Office 365 Personal (1-Year, English)
  4. Microsoft Complete for Surface Pro with Accidental Damage Coverage
  5. Surface Pen - Burgund  

Surface bundle.

prices respectively

1638 dolar

896 dolar

799 dolar

1247 dolar

Waiting  your helps. Thanks.

If you need performance, why is the Macbook Air still there? This is fine for webbrowsing, office, youtube/netflix etc. Maybe some lighter work.

But what you say here, Macbook Air is not even close fast enough. Most 500 dollar Windows notebooks have more performan ce.

If you want a Macbook, you start with the Pro series with 4 Cores (i5 8th generation), no less.

If these 1638 Dollar are for the Macbook Air, then 100% no. It costs double the Matebook 13", and delivers not even half the performance. Noone ever should pay 1600+ dollar for a Macbook Air. You should be getting a Macbook Pro 13" 256gb / 8gb Ram for that.

Surface Pro is not a classic Notebook, it's a very different product categorie.

It only makes sense, if you work productive with the Pen.

You don't need a Pen? Then why buy a surface?

A Surface is pretty much a Windows Tablet with Pen support. Digital Note Taking, drawing, etc. With the possibility to be turned into a notebook-like device with the Type Cover.

All that while beeing very portable.

Classic szenario in College: You use it to take digital notes. Not on paper. You write directly on the screen into an App, into the PDF Skripts themself etc (MS One Note). Thanks to Windows, you are able to run Desktop class Apps (Autodesk etc) on them, and use full blown Office Suite from Microsoft.

Only buy a Surface, if you use the Pen to write with it.

However, if you need a good performing Notebook for working.. None of those are a good choice tbh (surface is, if you need this product categorie).

I would look into a Lenovo ThinkPad E series or (better) T-series with an i5 Quad core, 16gb Ram probably.

You should not look into Notebooks only, that "look pretty awww", but that are build well, and will last you your whole college time.

I don't see macbooks fitting here tbh at all. You pay much more for less product, and a horrible Keyboard that will probably fail at some point. Without luck, after 4 years, so the whole device is expensive garbage (because to repair the bad keyboard you will probably pay 800+ dollar again. Just because 1-2 keys are stuck.

Matebook could be an option, yes. But a ThinkPad is better quality. Not just build wise. It's more robust, upgradeable, and repairable than these "design-notebooks".

10 hours ago, Darkseth said:

If you need performance, why is the Macbook Air still there? This is fine for webbrowsing, office, youtube/netflix etc. Maybe some lighter work.

But what you say here, Macbook Air is not even close fast enough. Most 500 dollar Windows notebooks have more performan ce.

If you want a Macbook, you start with the Pro series with 4 Cores (i5 8th generation), no less.

If these 1638 Dollar are for the Macbook Air, then 100% no. It costs double the Matebook 13", and delivers not even half the performance. Noone ever should pay 1600+ dollar for a Macbook Air. You should be getting a Macbook Pro 13" 256gb / 8gb Ram for that.

Surface Pro is not a classic Notebook, it's a very different product categorie.

It only makes sense, if you work productive with the Pen.

You don't need a Pen? Then why buy a surface?

A Surface is pretty much a Windows Tablet with Pen support. Digital Note Taking, drawing, etc. With the possibility to be turned into a notebook-like device with the Type Cover.

All that while beeing very portable.

Classic szenario in College: You use it to take digital notes. Not on paper. You write directly on the screen into an App, into the PDF Skripts themself etc (MS One Note). Thanks to Windows, you are able to run Desktop class Apps (Autodesk etc) on them, and use full blown Office Suite from Microsoft.

Only buy a Surface, if you use the Pen to write with it.

However, if you need a good performing Notebook for working.. None of those are a good choice tbh (surface is, if you need this product categorie).

I would look into a Lenovo ThinkPad E series or (better) T-series with an i5 Quad core, 16gb Ram probably.

You should not look into Notebooks only, that "look pretty awww", but that are build well, and will last you your whole college time.

I don't see macbooks fitting here tbh at all. You pay much more for less product, and a horrible Keyboard that will probably fail at some point. Without luck, after 4 years, so the whole device is expensive garbage (because to repair the bad keyboard you will probably pay 800+ dollar again. Just because 1-2 keys are stuck.

Matebook could be an option, yes. But a ThinkPad is better quality. Not just build wise. It's more robust, upgradeable, and repairable than these "design-notebooks".

You have a point. Yes u are right mac series are so expensive for students. If im a business man i can buy better mac but i dont. Surface kinda good for me. I can use a pan. I still thinking it. Can surface pro 6 run my engineering apps? 

I eliminate the macbook then but surface and matebook still there.

Can you guys suggest me any Asus TUF gaming or ROG and MSI pc? I wonder them.

They are for sure very nice for Gaming.

However, they will probably be very heavy to carry around^^

Also, their Battery life while non-gaming stuff (Browsing web, scripts during lectures, etc) will probably not be that great too.

Not an issue, if you can charge them during class.

But that doesn't need to be: https://www.notebookcheck.net/Asus-TUF-Gaming-FX705DT-Ryzen-5-3550H-GTX-1650-SSD-FHD-Laptop-Review.422972.0.html

For example this "budget gaming" notebook, that's perfectly fine for light gaming, got a quite solid review on Notebookcheck.

Much stronger, and more expensive would be this: https://www.notebookcheck.net/Asus-ROG-Zephyrus-G-GA502DU-Ryzen-7-3750H-GTX-1660-Ti-Max-Q-Laptop-Review.421577.0.html

Or similar specs (but 16gb Ram), and just 2~ weeks old: ASUS TUF Gaming FX505DU-BQ047T Stealth Black

A bit more: ASUS ROG Strix G G531GU-AL001

This one has a better Intel chip, again only 8gb Ram, but it comes with a 120 Hz IPS Panel G- Sync DIsplay, which is very sexy for any kind of gaming.

Just to name a few "Gaming" Notebooks.

More expensive, when they come with an RTX  2060 instead GTX 1660 ti of course.

From MSI:

MSI GL63 8SE-066 is worth checking out.  Cheaper than Asus, and comes with an RTX 2060 for a similar Price, than Asus giving you a GTX 1660 ti (like 60-80% more gaming performance).

i only considered 15,6" Models so they are somewhat portable.

And keep in Mind, i don't know the  build quality of those "gaming" Notebooks. Heared MSI isn't the best really...