Which way is better for GPU?

gloriousgorgias

Hey everyone!

This is my first post. So I have a PC with a RTX 2080Ti. I would like to know which of these 2 options is better for my GPU's life span. So with my current set-up, the 2080Ti runs hot. Just when I boot up PC and let it sit on desktop (nothing running, 0% Utilization of GPU), its temperature is already 61 C. When I play AC Odyssey or GTA V 1080P on Ultra setting it sits around 83-85 C. Is this normal? When the 2080Ti is just chilling out not doing anything other than being on, is it normal for temperature to be around 61 C? And then is it normal for 2080Ti to run at 85 C on AAA games? Anyway, this is how it is DEFAULT. Now I think I found a solution. I need Linustechtips forum for opinions and expertise. I installed MSI Afterburner in order to set a custom fan curve. With the custom fan curve, my gpu now sits at 48-50 C with 0% Utilization, and when playing the games mentioned above my gpu now sits at 70 C!! Holy shit, right? It seems too good to be true..I understand that the fans life is compromised but is it logical to compromise the fans lifespan and just replace fan earlier than usual (can't be too hard, can it?) in order for my gpu to run almost 15 C less? Like I said it seems too good to be true so I need opinions and expertise. I feel like its essentially a choice between gpu lifespan or fan lifespan. Or do I just have a complete misinterpretation of gpu temperatures and whats considered safe or optimal? Maybe 85 C vs 70 C doesnt make a noticable difference in lifespan?

Thank you so much 

Gloriousgorgias 

Hiya, you're right that GPU temperature makes a difference but technically speaking... 85C is well within the GPU's operating temperature and should last just as long as when at a lower temperature. 

It is just simply advised to keep lower temperatures as this *can* increase life span but I've not really seen any effects of this myself, plus it prevents thermal throttling and frame drops in games etc. May I ask what 2080Ti you have? A blower style cooler often provides these higher temperatures but often gives more noise. 

My Rig:

Xeon E5 1680 V2 @ 4.5GHz - Asus Rampage IV Extreme X79 Mobo - 64GB DDR3 1600MHz - 8 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile - CAS 10-10-10-27 - AMD Radeon RX 6700XT Sapphire Pulse 12GB - DeepCool E-Shield E-ATX Tempered Glass Case - 1 x 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD - BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850W Gold+ Quad rail - Fractal Design Celsius S36 & 6 x 120mm silent fans - Lenovo KBBH21 - Corsair Glaive RGB Pro - Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Monitors - 3 x Acer Nitro 23.8" 1080p 75Hz IPS 1ms Freesync Panels = AMD Eyefinity @ 75Hz

8 minutes ago, gloriousgorgias said:

It doesn't matter, just don't volt mod your 2080ti

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

I think its HP branded? Just says Geforce Rtx on it. In devices in Windows its called Nvidia Geforce Rtx 2080Ti. Also sorry, I don't think I mentioned that in order to achieve the significantly lower temp while gaming, the fan is set to 100% after 70 C.

GPUs are designed to operate at around 80-85C. If the temperature is lower, all that's really achieving is longer life span. The trouble is, we don't know the life expectancy of any given chip. We can infer the video card should at least last as long as the warranty period, but for all I know, it could last for 10 years.

17 minutes ago, gloriousgorgias said:

I think its HP branded? Just says Geforce Rtx on it. In devices in Windows its called Nvidia Geforce Rtx 2080Ti. Also sorry, I don't think I mentioned that in order to achieve the significantly lower temp while gaming, the fan is set to 100% after 70 C.

It's a blower then, not a dual fan? In which case those temps are as expected.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Its a blower, yes. What is this metal piece on top? For protection? Its just covering the PCB ? Is it safe to remove this metal panel? I obviously don't want to take off the shroud with the blower but the panel I am pointing to in picture seems useless. Am I wrong?

15644290662151963483020.jpg

Your fans life is fine.  I have fans in equipment that's ran 27/7 since 2000 at my work and we only had one fan actually die due to the fact it seized from dust. 

Keep it clean and you can run them at 100% until the end of time. They do t have brushes like the very old fans that would die. The only thing that can wear out are bushings and bearings. Most gpu fans are ball bearing and those bearings will last a long time. 

A ballbearing fan life according to most oems is around 6.5 years at 50c 100% duty cycle. In reality it's longer.  Most fans die due to a manufacturing defect. And those fans are dirt cheap. Better to have a happy gpu and have extremely low odds of having to buy a $10 replacement fan then have a gpu that's cooking the rest of your system.

4 minutes ago, gloriousgorgias said:

Its a blower, yes. What is thus plastic piece on top? For protection? Its just covering the PCB ? Is it safe to remove this plastic panel? I obviously don't want to take off the shroud with the blower but the panel I am pointing to in picture seems useless. Am I wrong?

15644290662151963483020.jpg

For looks.

It's helps very slightly to spread some heat out but not that much. I know my 2080ti's backplates get pretty warm. On air they would get really hot to the point I made sure I had a fan blowing across them.  But they help very slightly and that's just to eliminate the concertrated hot spots under a few components but the main reason they put them on are for looks. 

you guys are all great people! this is a great place and super fast replies!!

18 minutes ago, bignaz said:

It's helps very slightly to spread some heat out but not that much

I believe the plastic ones are not any good at that, just for show

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

2 hours ago, fasauceome said:

I believe the plastic ones are not any good at that, just for show

As long as it can heat up it's helping. To what effect well hard to say but it's very small. 

You get hot air trapped under it. But the thermal pads they put under it help spread out those hot spots. That being said. With how hot the backs of those cards get I would pick up something like an EK back plate and put it on.  If the plastic backplates have no thermal pads then  yeah it's doing more harm then good by blocking air and holding a pocket of hair air under it. 

People will argue about how effective a good backplate is. But I think it's key. You always get some heat that goes through the board. Essentially heatsoaking the components. Stuff like bga this can cause issues if you get too hot for to long. Remember these cards are rohos and that solder is absolutely terrible in every way. It doesn't take much to get those joints to fail.  That's why I'm all for an effective backplate and then having a fan blow across it. 

Rohos solder has a higher melting point but but anyone who has worked with it will tell you it's horrible and you will have more issues with those solder joints under heat then good old lead solder.