How Many Rads?

Hi,

which Rads i need minimum for efficient low noise cooling:

- i7 3770k (no or mini OC)

- dual Titan or "single" 690 or dual 680

Case: I like the Corsair 900D/800D but i can go for another

I want a intern solution.

CPU: R7 1700 GPU: GTX 1070 RAM: 32GB

When you say minimum you could strap it to a 120mm with a jet engine pushing air through it and it would be more than "enough".

Noise is a big factor, do you want a quiet or loud solution?

Why are you looking to get the "minimum" when you are buying $2000 worth of GPUs and a £300 case?

If you want to ask what we (, I say "we" I expect the others would agree) ,would recommend you you will have to specify the case, I'll run with the 900D;

480mm and a 240mm in the bottom. Then a 360mm in the top. That will give you quiet adequate cooling.

For the bottom section I recommend buying 6 Noctua NF12 fans for the top I recommend buying something that looks good an undervolts very well. (Air Penetrators go into that category I think.)

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

I mean "minimum" amout of Rads.

I wanted a max. quiet soulution.

Case IS now the 900D.

Btw: Are 2x480 (60mm) enough for ONE 690?

And are the "Phobya G-Silent 12 1600rpm Black Silent Edition" + "Scythe Kaze Server Fancontroller" enough silent?

I mean "minimum" amout of Rads.

I wanted a max. quiet soulution.

Case IS now the 900D.

Btw: Are 2x480 (60mm) enough for ONE 690?

And are the "Phobya G-Silent 12 1600rpm Black Silent Edition" + "Scythe Kaze Server Fancontroller" enough silent?

More rads = better temps at less noise. There is no limit.

Yes, 2*480 is enough for quiet operation.

The reason why you may want the extra 240 in the bottom is for "redundancy". Rads don't break but if you ever want to push your system further, or it gets hot in your house you can always spin up the fans on the 240.

Not an expert on fans but under-volting/pwm and quiet operation is a whole different subject. You should ask in the air cooling section about fans.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

Just to chime in about fans, as said previously get NF-F12s in the bottom and grab them for the top if you can make it work, otherwise Scythe Kaze, Corsair SP Series and Silverstone Air Penetrator are all very well recommended fans that are very good for radiator operation, though the fin density of your radiators will effect what fans you should choose 

As for the loop, id go for:

XSPC EX 480mm in the bottom 

XSPC EX 360mm/Alphacool ST30 360mm in the roof depending on how much room you have

You could most likely fit another 360mm in the front if you wanted to be a bit nuts 

XSPC D5 Vario, or some other D5 variant 

Bitspower make some very nice tube resevoirs and their fittings are also very nice 

Koolance CPU-380I is a very good waterblock as are the XSPC Raystorm and the Swiftech Apogee HD, though any block from one of the major waterblock manufacturers will do just get whichever you like best from a decent company 

as for GPU if you went Dual Titan for whatever insane reason the XSPC Razor is probably my personal favorite though EK do produce a waterblock for it, as for 690 most major waterblock guys make blocks for it and they all perform similarly so which ever you like best or you could go for the EVGA Hydro Copper

Though if you dont intend to OC the CPU there is not a whole lot of point you could just slap a high end air cooler on there and get the cheaper locked variant 

give a man a gun he robs a bank, give a man a bank he robs the world

Pretty much the more rad you have the quieter your system can be the less you have the louder its going to be so a dual 120mm or a triple should be enough or you can go all out and get like 10000000 rads but it depends on ur case.

You could fit another 360mm in the front if you wanted to be a bit nuts 

Nope.

Also disagree with the "slap a high-end (air I assume) cooler". If you have water flowing through your system you would have to be and idiot (excuse my language) to not cool the CPU along the way for obvious reasons.

Pretty much the more rad you have the quieter your system can be the less you have the louder its going to be so a dual 120mm or a triple should be enough or you can go all out and get like 10000000 rads but it depends on ur case.

There are more variables than the amount of radiator space. The FPI makes a huge difference in terms of noise to performance. The reason I didn't mention it above is because 60mm rads all have low FPI so it is not a problem. Also, once the liquid goes past room temp you can do no more to cool anything so although your number was an exaggeration the point of no returns is much much smaller than you'd think.

Nope.

Also disagree with the "slap a high-end (air I assume) cooler". If you have water flowing through your system you would have to be and idiot (excuse my language) to not cool the CPU along the way for obvious reasons.

you would likely have to mod it slightly and loose most if not all of the drive bays, though I have not see much detail of the interior there most certainly looks to be space, I have amended my post to reflect this, my mistake for not being quite as precise as I should have been

Fair point if he where doing a GPU loop you would have to be a complete idiot not to do the CPU as well, but if you do not intend to overclock there is little point investing in the water in the first place (for obvious reasons) other than bragging rights which you already get plent of from between $1000 and $2000 of GPUs 

give a man a gun he robs a bank, give a man a bank he robs the world

you would likely have to mod it slightly and loose most if not all of the drive bays, though I have not see much detail of the interior there most certainly looks to be space, I have amended my post to reflect this, my mistake for not being quite as precise as I should have been

Fair point if he where doing a GPU loop you would have to be a complete idiot not to do the CPU as well, but if you do not intend to overclock there is little point investing in the water in the first place (for obvious reasons) other than bragging rights which you already get plent of from between $1000 and $2000 of GPUs 

Nope. There is no space. The front tank of any rad in the bottom cage would block any possibility of mounting a radiator there.

Too many people think water cooling is about performance. Its a experience and a journey. You have more than most if you get a 680 or 7970 so no, not bragging rights.

(Do not take offense from anything I say. If I sound abrupt, I'm tired.)

For the 900D a 480 and a 240 or 360 would be more than enough for a quiet loop cooling the CPU and GPU. Good luck.

if I were doing the 900D, id use a RX/UT480 in the roof (push)

XT480 in front PSU basement (push), rear RX/UT360 in PSU basement (push).

D5 vario, 240/250 tube res. this will handle any stable OC temps from CPU/GPU.

can easily use 600-1500rpm fans and still be cool and quiet 24/7. just my

inventory put to use.. but not now.. got a CaseLabs to build..

airdeano

If you're going to plan to spend $2k on GPU solutions but you're barely going to touch your CPU I think something needs to be reconsidered. When you're getting a case that was meant for extreme water cooling and you're not even going to attempt to use more than 360mm worth of rads something needs to be reconsidered. Honestly thinking about it if you're not going to fit at least 480mm in a 900D don't even bother. A 480mm rad would be fine for your loop, you can of course get more for aesthetics, headroom, and lower rpm(acoustics). You could get away with the 800D if you like the aesthetics or the Switch 810 if you're not going to OC.

If you're going to plan to spend $2k on GPU solutions but you're barely going to touch your CPU I think something needs to be reconsidered. When you're getting a case that was meant for extreme water cooling and you're not even going to attempt to use more than 360mm worth of rads something needs to be reconsidered. Honestly thinking about it if you're not going to fit at least 480mm in a 900D don't even bother. A 480mm rad would be fine for your loop, you can of course get more for aesthetics, headroom, and lower rpm(acoustics). You could get away with the 800D if you like the aesthetics or the Switch 810 if you're not going to OC.

A 900D is unique though. Its a feature in a build and its something limited numbers of people will be able to afford.

A lot of empty space isn't a feature I find appealing though. Might as well go change my aquarium to a 3,000 gallon aquarium for 2 fish considering not many people have 3,000 gal. aquariums in their homes. Sure a 900D is going to be a great part of a build log but when you have a 900D and you're not even going to OC your CPU you're probably going to be a laughingstock. 

....when you have a 900D and you're not even going to OC your CPU you're probably going to be a laughingstock. 

probably? it will get noticed..

airdeano

Yeah when I said probably I meant like 400% probably. It's his money I can't stop him from spending but why would you get an unlocked processor if you won't even overclock. Maybe he should go with 1 Titan and a 3770k and throw it into a 350D when it comes out if he so desires the 900D look except this one is just a 1/3 of the size pretty much. You will be able to fit 480mm worth or radiator coverage so it won't make a difference.

I don´t think he need dual Titan. I put a 690

I can ask (btw that´s not my build) because the 350D but when i think i pick the 690 because he´s playing lot Crysis 3/BF3 on 3 Screens (prob. just BF3 on 3 screen)

That would be with the 350D http://geizhals.at/de/?cat=WL-316702 Which Rads can i put maximum in without remove the HDD cage?

I don´t like the design of the Switch 810.

And if he don´t OC i go with a XEON because he´s editing Videos with PremierePro

I don´t think he need dual Titan. I put a 690

I can ask (btw that´s not my build) because the 350D but when i think i pick the 690 because he´s playing lot Crysis 3/BF3 on 3 Screens (prob. just BF3 on 3 screen)

That would be with the 350D http://geizhals.at/de/?cat=WL-316702 Which Rads can i put maximum intern?

I don´t like the design of the Switch 810.

And if he don´t OC i go with a XEON because he´s editing Videos with PremierePro

A xeon is a server chip. Made because it is very reliable, not for editing videos.

The 350D has space for a 280 rad on top.

But the Xeon have HT.

Would be one 280 + one 140 enough for quiet 690 + CPU

But the Xeon have HT.

Would be one 280 + one 140 enough for quiet 690 + CPU

Nope it wouldn't.

Then is the 350D too smal.

Anydifferent between SLI 680, SLI 670, 690? because SLI look more fancy :D

Then is the 350D too smal.

Anydifferent between SLI 680, SLI 670, 690? because SLI look more fancy

I would say its too small.

Not sure what you mean by your other point.

Anydifferent between SLI 680, SLI 670, 690? because SLI look more fancy

more like is more e-peen to have..

airdeano