Enabling XMP causes pc refusing to boot

OrkaXL

Hi all,

When I finished my build I wasn't paying attention to it but the recent techquickie video about DDR5 ram speeds got me to checking my ram speeds.

XMP is disabled in my system and the ram runs at 4800mhz, when I try enabling it there's only one profile there that sets the speeds to 6000mhz. Unfortunately this causes the system to fail booting and requires resetting the cmos to get back into business. There is still a lot of settings in the bios that have to do with the ram speeds but I feel uncomfortable meddling with them, does anyone know how I can get my ram speeds up to 6000mhz or 5200mhz as is supported?

my system:

AMD Ryzen 7700

Gigabyte B650 Gaming x ax (rev. 1.3)

Corsair Vengeance 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL36 Memory

https://be.pcpartpicker.com/b/m8qp99

Thanks in advance for any help/recommendations

Because the RAM only has Intel XMP profiles. Why didn't you buy RAM with AMD EXPO profiles?

5 minutes ago, --SID-- said:

Because the RAM only has Intel XMP profiles. Why didn't you buy RAM with AMD EXPO profiles?

The RAM, motherboard and CPU came in a bundle that offered great value at the time. I didn't notice that it doesn't support EXPO.

1 hour ago, OrkaXL said:

The RAM, motherboard and CPU came in a bundle that offered great value at the time. I didn't notice that it doesn't support EXPO.

You could try loosening frequency or some timings.

Apply XMP and then set 5600MT/s for example

I'm willing to swim against the current.

2 hours ago, OrkaXL said:

Corsair Vengeance 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL36 Memory

This will be a problem. This is the 6000 CL36-44-44 kit, which these have issues with working on AMD systems (AMD has put in next to no effort optimizing for these DIMMs). If you're lucky enough to still be within the return window, return it and get something else, especially as you can get faster kits for less.

If you're not in the return window, you're going to end up fighting the training and termination settings in order to get this to work at the rated speeds. One thing you could at least try to do would be to try a few BIOS revisions, as one in particular might work better than the others. Turning on the memory nitro mode settings to the max might also help you out.