0d Motherboard Error on MSI X570 Unify

Last night, I got home, loaded into Windows normally, then used Windows Key + L to lock my computer. Upon waking up this morning, I pressed the spacebar to login and noticed that there were several characters already entered into the login screen. My keyboard and mouse became completely unresponsive, so I restarted the PC, only for the PC to no longer even make it to BIOS.

The motherboard shows error “0d” which seems to mean that my CPU is not recognized by the motherboard. The motherboard is running the latest BIOS already, and I have the same components in my computer for 3 years now. There seem to be others that have had this issue, but they seem to have all been building new PC’s, whereas mine is now quite old.

I’ve cleared CMOS, reseated the RAM, moved the two sticks into different slots, tried a different GPU, verified that all power cables are plugged in correctly, tried different power cables (from the same power supply) and reseated the CPU. I saw no bent pins and there are no signs of physical damage to the motherboard.

I have been having issues with this motherboard for some time, as you can see from my previous post, so my first thought is that it is the motherboard. I’ve been unable to verify this as I don’t have any spare AM4 motherboards or CPUs.

I did consider the possibility of malware because of the issue starting when I was in Windows and seeing the login screen already having characters in it. I am unsure of whether it is common for malware to cause issues like this though, and I don’t often run unknown programs or visit unknown websites.

If anyone has had similar issues, please walk me through the steps you took to fix this. If no solution is found other than to replace the CPU, maybe someone with a similar issue can look at this post and use it for their troubleshooting.

PC Specifications:

AMD Ryzen R5 5600X

16GB G.Skill Trident Z @3200MHz

MSI X570 Unify

EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra

Seagate Firecuda 520 500GB

Samsung 860 EVO 2TB

Corsair RM850x - 850W PSU

Windows 11 Home