Weird temps while gaming on a 7800x3d

Hello everyone,

I’ve been having a weird issue lately and it’s driving me crazy.
To give some context first, I’ve been playing a game called Phantasy Star Online New Genesis and every time I boot the game the cpu temps instantly go to 84-86c for a few seconds until you get into the main menu and then while you play it went up to 60-62c tops with ultra settings. I didn’t think much of it as i thought it was just loading the game.

Last Wednesday the game had its usual weekly maintenance and after I got home and booted the game temps went to 88-89 and sometimes to 90c and then while playing it was up to 70-72c without me changing absolutely anything from closing the game the previous night. It’s also noticeable from the fans spinning louder now than they used to.
While it sounds like a normal temperature while gaming and with an air cooler + my not optimal case + warm weather I always have hwmonitor and msi afterburner on while playing any game to keep an eye on the temperatures and it’s very weird that it started doing it out of nowhere.

Prior to this event I had my cpu tested with the cpu-z stress test function, 3d mark and cinebench and my temperatures never went above 84c. 
I did some tests after that and it’s still the same as it was before, I reseated my cpu cooler and I checked the game forums and discords and didn’t see anything about such an issue. 
It’s really bothering me at this point and I am out of ideas so any suggestion would be greatly appreciated!

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Taka07 said:

with an air cooler + my not optimal case

Specs ? fans ? maybe a few pictures of the innards

Edited by leclod

I'm willing to swim against the current.

3 minutes ago, leclod said:

Specs ? fans ? maybe a few pictures of the innards

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800x3d

GPU: Gigabyte 4070 Super Gaming OC 

PSU: MSI MPG A850GF 850W

RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 32GB DDR5 6000Mhz

MOBO: Gigabyte B650M Gaming X AX 

Case: NZXT S340 Elite

Fans: 2x Artic 140mm for intake, 1x Artic 120mm top mounted exhaust and 1x Artic 120mm back mounted exhaust

Cooler: Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120SE

I don’t have any picture at the moment of the inside, I will post some when I’m back home but I have some of my fan curves

Also I have a -30 in all cores in curve optimiser.

IMG_0376.jpeg

IMG_0375.jpeg

IMG_0374.jpeg

IMG_0373.jpeg

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Taka07 said:

MOBO: Gigabyte B650M Gaming X AX 

Case: NZXT S340 Elite

Fans: 2x Artic 140mm for intake, 1x Artic 120mm top mounted exhaust and 1x Artic 120mm back mounted exhaust

Cooler: Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120SE

Those are very nice specs, I expected less, thank you.

You've got more than enough cooling, if it's used right (which might be the case).

I recommend Fan Control, it let's you do anything (I don't know if your Gigabyte software is good enough, it might)

For example, my case fans follow cpu temperature or gpu temperature or hdd temperature (I know that's a weird one) depending on their respective level.

Edited by leclod

42 minutes ago, Taka07 said:

Hello everyone,

I’ve been having a weird issue lately and it’s driving me crazy.
To give some context first, I’ve been playing a game called Phantasy Star Online New Genesis and every time I boot the game the cpu temps instantly go to 84-86c for a few seconds until you get into the main menu and then while you play it went up to 60-62c tops with ultra settings. I didn’t think much of it as i thought it was just loading the game.

Last Wednesday the game had its usual weekly maintenance and after I got home and booted the game temps went to 88-89 and sometimes to 90c and then while playing it was up to 70-72c without me changing absolutely anything from closing the game the previous night. It’s also noticeable from the fans spinning louder now than they used to.
While it sounds like a normal temperature while gaming and with an air cooler + my not optimal case + warm weather I always have hwmonitor and msi afterburner on while playing any game to keep an eye on the temperatures and it’s very weird that it started doing it out of nowhere.

Prior to this event I had my cpu tested with the cpu-z stress test function, 3d mark and cinebench and my temperatures never went above 84c. 
I did some tests after that and it’s still the same as it was before, I reseated my cpu cooler and I checked the game forums and discords and didn’t see anything about such an issue. 
It’s really bothering me at this point and I am out of ideas so any suggestion would be greatly appreciated!

Nothing to worry about imo, it's just that it takes some time for the aircooler to adjust and dissipate heat when the CPU spikes in temps 

My 7959X3D does the same 

System : AMD R9  7950X3D CPU/ Asus ROG STRIX X670E-E board/ 2x32GB G-Skill Trident Z Neo 6000CL30 RAM ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 cooler (with 2xArctic P12 Max fans) /  2TB WD SN850 NVme + 2TB Crucial T500  NVme  + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD / Corsair RM850x PSU

Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

12 minutes ago, leclod said:

You've got more than enough cooling, if it's used right (which might be the case).

Could it be that my setup is not used optimally and the increased ambient temperature(24-25c and goes at 30c in summertime easy) due to warmer weather caused this?

18 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

Nothing to worry about imo, it's just that it takes some time for the aircooler to adjust and dissipate heat when the CPU spikes in temps 

My 7959X3D does the same 

It’s my first decent system and I’m a bit paranoid, also I knew beforehand that this specific cpu runs a bit hotter due to the stacked cache 

Temp alone doesn't mean anything. You need to look at both temp and load at the same time for any idea what's going on.

That being said those fan curves are incredibly and unnecessarily aggressive. 

My 7800x3D is air cooled and my whole case (8 fans including the two on the CPU) runs off a single fan header. Its set to a static 40% PWM (fan speed) until the CPU hits 85C then it gradually moves up to a max of 60% PWM. I ONLY ever see 85C under a sustained all-core load like a render or when a game does its shader compilation. 95% of the time I can't hear my system, and thats with a stock air cooled 4090 as well.

It sounds like your issue is more of not being familiar with how these chips operate thermally and poorly setup fan curves. Some tuning and you should have a silent system.

Ryzen 7 7800x3D -  Asus RTX4090 TUF OC- Asrock X670E Taichi - 32GB DDR5-6000CL30 - SuperFlower 1000W - Fractal Torrent - Assassin IV - 42" LG C2

Ryzen 7 5800x - XFX RX6600 - Asus STRIX B550i - 32GB DDR4-3200CL14 - Corsair SF750 - Lian Li O11 Mini - EK 360 AIO - Asus PG348Q

1 minute ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

Temp alone doesn't mean anything. You need to look at both temp and load at the same time for any idea what's going on.

That being said those fan curves are incredibly aggressive. 

From watching HWMonitori see it draws about 34watts while playing that specific game and cpu load in task manager is never above 20%. 

I wasn’t sure how to set them and I copied some from a YouTube video and they worked so I didn’t bother to change them

1 hour ago, leclod said:

maybe a few pictures of the innards

This is how it’s setup on the inside and how the case looks from the front. I can remove that front panel and expose the filter but so far it seemed like it had a decent airflow with a paper towel trial

IMG_0382.jpeg

IMG_0381.jpeg

14 minutes ago, Taka07 said:

From watching HWMonitori see it draws about 34watts while playing that specific game and cpu load in task manager is never above 20%. 

I wasn’t sure how to set them and I copied some from a YouTube video and they worked so I didn’t bother to change them

Fan curves can't really ever be copied from somewhere else and have them be the same unless all the hardware is also identical. 

Looking at that pic, you've got enough fans setup that the system should be silent once setup. 

The problem is understanding and getting comfortable with what's normal and what's "too hot" temp wise. 

Ryzen 7 7800x3D -  Asus RTX4090 TUF OC- Asrock X670E Taichi - 32GB DDR5-6000CL30 - SuperFlower 1000W - Fractal Torrent - Assassin IV - 42" LG C2

Ryzen 7 5800x - XFX RX6600 - Asus STRIX B550i - 32GB DDR4-3200CL14 - Corsair SF750 - Lian Li O11 Mini - EK 360 AIO - Asus PG348Q

Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, Taka07 said:

Could it be that my setup is not used optimally and the increased ambient temperature(24-25c and goes at 30c in summertime easy) due to warmer weather caused this?

It could, but then rather the not used optimally than the increased ambient temperature (24-25c and goes at 30c sounds very normal).

Still @PDifolco wrote it's normal behaviour.

I'd make tryouts, I wonder if that top fan is competing with the Assassin for fresh air. So I'd try with reduced rpm on the top fan.

Fan Control is more convenient for tryouts, much better than accessing the Bios each time and wallow there.

But this is me, you probably don't have to go that far.

Edited by leclod

17 minutes ago, leclod said:

It could, but then rather the not used optimally than the increased ambient temperature (24-25c and goes at 30c sounds very normal).

Still @PDifolco wrote it's normal behaviour.

I'd make tryouts, I wonder if that top fan is competing with the Assassin for fresh air. So I'd try with reduced rpm on the top fan.

Fan Control is more convenient for tryouts, much better than accessing the Bios each time and wallow there.

But this is me, you probably don't have to go that far.

I'd say it's "normal" because I do see it happen as well, with a 3D chip and similar cooler, and that's there's nothing showing an abnormal behavior

Plus it can be rationalized/explained : 3D chips are usually +20C under load over a similar non 3D chip, so when they get a load like launching a game they go to 80+ instead of the 60ish a non 3D chip will get; the cooler fans then increase speed but it takes a few seconds for them to reach the new speed, that finally allows the chip to cool

So you see 45C => 85C for 5 seconds=> 65C 🙂

System : AMD R9  7950X3D CPU/ Asus ROG STRIX X670E-E board/ 2x32GB G-Skill Trident Z Neo 6000CL30 RAM ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 cooler (with 2xArctic P12 Max fans) /  2TB WD SN850 NVme + 2TB Crucial T500  NVme  + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD / Corsair RM850x PSU

Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

1 hour ago, leclod said:

I recommend Fan Control, it let's you do anything (I don't know if your Gigabyte software is good enough, it might)

Having the same mobo, can confirm the Gigabyte Control Center is dogshit and keeps resetting curves. I strongly second the Fan Control option.

Fan control is fantastic if you have a complex configuration. I'm a fan of KISS and the BIOS, a flat "curve" and done is good enough for me. 7800x3D/4090 and dead silent at all times.

I'll check Fan Control in that case, anything I should keep in mind?