Considering Switching from Apple to Android

NoLoMo

I am upgrading from my iPhone 6s Plus to a Note 9. Anything I should know before I make a switch? Something I use on regular basis is Apple Pay, so I was wondering if anyone has any experience with Samsung Pay. 3D Touch is something I think I will miss but I’m guessing there is something that’s just as helpful. Is there a way to transfer music from Apple Music to android? Or is my music just stuck with Apple? My last question would be I was considering the 128gb variant, does 6gb of ram affect the experience? Or would it be more beneficial to for the 512gb that has 8gb? Hopefully it’s the case where it does not matter. 

1 minute ago, NoLoMo said:

I am upgrading from my iPhone 6s Plus to a Note 9. Anything I should know before I make a switch? Something I use on regular basis is Apple Pay, so I was wondering if anyone has any experience with Samsung Pay. 3D Touch is something I think I will miss but I’m guessing there is something that’s just as helpful. Is there a way to transfer music from Apple Music to android? Or is my music just stuck with Apple? My last question would be I was considering the 128gb variant, does 6gb of ram affect the experience? Or would it be more beneficial to for the 512gb that has 8gb? Hopefully it’s the case where it does not matter. 

I'm jealous, I would switch from my iPhone X to the new ROG Phone 2 when it comes out but iMessage and FaceTime have got too tight a grip on me and the people I regularly talk to. Good luck op

Desktop: NZXT H700i / i7-8700K @ 5.1GHz / Corsair H100i RGB AIO / Asus ROG Strix RTX 2080 Ti OC / 32gb Corsair Vengeance @ 2666MHz (8+8 LPX, 8+8 RGB Pro) 

Laptop: Asus ROG Zephyrus GX501 15.6” / i7-7700HQ / GTX 1080 Max-Q / 16gb DDR4 (want to liquid metal it soon!)

8 minutes ago, NoLoMo said:

there a way to transfer music from Apple Music to android? Or is my music just stuck with Apple?

You can download all of your music purchases from iTunes and transfer the files to your future Android phone manually. iTunes songs are not protected by DRM. If you have an Apple Music subscription, you can simply download the Apple Music app for Android. 

Why exactly are you looking to switch platforms? 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

8 minutes ago, awpshots said:

I'm jealous, I would switch from my iPhone X to the new ROG Phone 2 when it comes out but iMessage and FaceTime have got too tight a grip on me and the people I regularly talk to. Good luck op

Haha thanks hopefully I like the experience on the other side. I like iMessage just because it’s blue, but is it really necessary? Also I usually google duo but I can see how that could be annoying if you use it on a regular basis. 

5 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

You can download all of your music purchases from iTunes and transfer the files to your future Android phone manually. iTunes songs are not protected by DRM. If you have an Apple Music subscription, you can simply download the Apple Music app for Android. 

Why exactly are you looking to switch platforms? 

I didn’t like the direction Apple was heading since the iPhone 7 came out (I use my headphone jack on a regular basis). And it just worse over time since I really don’t like the iPhone X design since I like my Touch ID. I was gonna go the iPhone 8 Plus but with Apple care it comes out to be about $932. I’m not about to pay $1k for a 2 generation old phone. Maybe someone will see value in that but a Note 9 is going for about $800. I’ve been thinking of switching for a while so thought now would be a good as time as any. 

1 minute ago, NoLoMo said:

I was gonna go the iPhone 8 Plus but with Apple care it comes out to be about $932. I’m not about to pay $1k for a 2 generation old phone.

What iPhone do you have now? I was able to trade in my iPhone 6s Plus and get my iPhone 8 Plus for $450. All through Apple. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

5 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

What iPhone do you have now? I was able to trade in my iPhone 6s Plus and get my iPhone 8 Plus for $450. All through Apple. 

iPhone 6s Plus, which does bring it down by $200. The only issue is that I am giving a family member my phone so I can’t trade in. 

Just now, NoLoMo said:

iPhone 6s Plus, which does bring it down by $200. The only issue is that I am giving a family member my phone so I can’t trade in. 

Ahh, I see. That’s unfortunate. When I used the trade in program my discount was $250. The prices must have depreciated. Good thing I upgraded when I did. 

3 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Ahh, I see. That’s unfortunate. When I used the trade in program my discount was $250. The prices must have depreciated. Good thing I upgraded when I did. 

Either way, like I mentioned earlier I’d rather not continue in an ecosystem that is heading in a path I don’t really like. Hopefully android is just as good as everyone says. 

1 minute ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

From what I remember, Samsung Pay has a better chance of working with some card readers that don't really support any of the wireless pay options officially. Keep that in mind if you're interested.

Yea because it simulates the magnetic strip right? I was wondering how secure it is and how reliable it is. 

Just now, NoLoMo said:

Yea because it simulates the magnetic strip right? I was wondering how secure it is and how reliable it is. 

Yeah, it can simulate how a card reader can read a magnetic strip. Depending on the card reader, it can either work really well or confuse the fuck out of it. I work as a cashier at a restaurant and the card readers there don't officially support any of the wireless pay methods, but I've seen Samsung Pay work on occasion, normally after multiple tries and if it's been there long enough.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

6 minutes ago, NoLoMo said:

I’d rather not continue in an ecosystem that is heading in a path I don’t really like. Hopefully android is just as good as everyone says. 

I’m going to level with you, Android is following in the footsteps of Apple. Headphone jacks are basically non-existent, notches are prevalent just for the sake of it, and SD cards are a thing of the past almost. 

Android OEMs are taking all the bad things Apple does without doing any of the good things that make people stick with iPhones. 

56 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Yeah, it can simulate how a card reader can read a magnetic strip. Depending on the card reader, it can either work really well or confuse the fuck out of it. I work as a cashier at a restaurant and the card readers there don't officially support any of the wireless pay methods, but I've seen Samsung Pay work on occasion, normally after multiple tries and if it's been there long enough.

Ahh I see, well that’s good to know. Thanks for the heads up

51 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

I’m going to level with you, Android is following in the footsteps of Apple. Headphone jacks are basically non-existent, notches are prevalent just for the sake of it, and SD cards are a thing of the past almost. 

Android OEMs are taking all the bad things Apple does without doing any of the good things that make people stick with iPhones. 

Sure if the rumors are anything to go by, the note 10 will up in price, have no headphone jack, and no expandable storage. But I’d rather have a newer phone with those function while I still can rather than not having it. I think these will always have their place in the market even if it’s not the flagship device that everyone is talking about. What I don’t agree with, is that you make it seem that Apple is changing things and everyone is just following suite. Sure there are somethings Apple does better but you can’t say that ONLY Apple does good things, or that all that Apple does is good. Apple has its good and its bad like every other company out there. 

11 minutes ago, NoLoMo said:

What I don’t agree with, is that you make it seem that Apple is changing things and everyone is just following suite.

That is what the market design trends and feature sets in modern phones have indicated. 

34 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

That is what the market design trends and feature sets in modern phones have indicated. 

Everyone is entitled to their opinions, I’d rather not get in a discussion when I’m not too familiar with the Android scene. Although I will not stand and say Apple is leading the charge on everything. 

2 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

I would kinda dissagree and say people are following the chinese android manufacturers rather than apple. especially with the huge leaps in display technology multi camera setups and such. like Xiomi hopped on the bezeless trrend before apple started it and even did a hole punch before samsung, or Huawei and their multi camera setups.  I would argree with everone folllowing suite with the notches and the losing the audio jack. but those were the time when apple was dominating the chinese market but apple is losing market share in china and brands like oppo, one plus, xiaomi, and huawei are really taking over I wouldn't be surprised if chinese and korean brands are now coppying each other as they contibue to improve and gain market share. 

2 minutes ago, rice guru said:

I would kinda dissagree and say people are following the chinese android manufacturers rather than apple

And under what bases do you figure that? What incentive is there to compete with products that aren’t in your market? Chinese phones are popular in China. 

Just now, DrMacintosh said:

And under what bases do you figure that? What incentive is there to compete with products that aren’t in your market? Chinese phones are popular in China. 

because china is the biggest market in smart phone. chinese manufaturers like oppo, BLU, Huawei are rapidly growing all around the world so yes they are in your market. I can observe this through sales analytics and going on the bus and see all the phones people are rocking on the bus. heck even among my workplace is half apple, about 3 samsung phones and the rest one plus, blue, and huawei. and thats a fast food restaurant full of people I wouldn't at all call tech savvy.

52 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Apple is a few models from 1 manufacturer

Android is dozens of models from dozens of manufacturers

What are the odds of an Android device still having what OP wants 5 years down the road, as opposed to an iPhone?

Maybe if OP has a brain to decide what he wants, and wants to free himself from his current situation, that we should respect his decision?

Emm but I did make a decision, it was to switch to the Note9. My only concern was how android function so my workflow wouldn’t get interrupted too much as I made the switch.