Bigger, Better, Faster, Refresh-er - ROG Phone 2 Launched

rcmaehl

I've got too many threads in Tech News, so I'll be posting this here!

Sources:
XDA (Media source)
ArsTechnica (quote source, media source 2)

Summary:
Asus has launched the ROG Phone 2, featuring the new Snapdragon 855+

Media:

image.png.f2dc7e6bf0a2d24fe2c44135bb4b3f03.pngThe phone, TwinView dock, and controller attached. For whatever reason, Asus doesn't have pictures of the accessories, so this is from <a href="https://www.engadget.com/2019/07/22/asus-rog-phone-ii-gaming-hands-on/">Engadget's hands-on.</a>

Quotes/Excerpts:

This is a high-end smartphone with a hyper-aggressive "gamer" design and a light-up back logo, but there are also genuinely impressive specs here that you won't find on any other smartphone right now. The first device to launch with Qualcomm's new Snapdragon 855 Plus SoC with higher clock speeds for the CPU and GPU. The SoC's single "Prime" CPU core gets bumped from 2.84GHz to 2.96GHz, while the GPU gets a 15% boost from 585MHz to 672MHz. The ROG Phone II has a 6.59-inch, 2340×1080 OLED display with a 120Hz refresh rate. The third headline feature to point out is the 6000mAh battery, which is absolutely massive compared to most flagship phones on the market. Other specs include a massive 12GB of RAM, options for 128GB to 512GB of storage, two USB-C ports, a 3.5mm headphone jack, dual front-facing speakers, a 24MP front camera, and dual rear cameras featuring a 48MP main camera and a 13MP wide angle. There's an in-screen fingerprint reader, but no wireless charging, SD slot, or water resistance. A new "ROG Kunai Gamepad" looks like an edgy version of a Nintendo Switch controller, with two controller halves that can be held individually, slid into a controller mount, or connected to the sides of the phone with a special case. Also returning is a new version of the TwinView Dock II, which mounts a second, identical display panel to your phone along with an extra 5000mAh battery. It looks like a ROG Phone II with a second ROG Phone II attached to it. You can Voltron the whole Asus accessory package together by putting your phone in the TwinView Dock and then connecting the controller halves to either side of the dock. You now have a 1.4 pound handheld gaming system. The all-glass back of the phone looks like it will transform into a robot any second now, and it features a light-up RGB LED ROG logo, an "aerodynamic system" vent, and the dual-camera system with crazy-angled lenses for the cameras and LED flash. Asus hasn't posted official availability or pricing, but a report from Engadget says the phone will launch in Taiwan on August 1 for NT$26,990 ($870 USD). The Twinview Dock is NT$6,990 ($230 USD) and the Nintendo Switch-like gamepad is NT3,990 ($130 USD).

My Thoughts:

So I guess Mobile phone gaming will continue to be a thing including the price premiums that come with it. Regardless, this phone is a beast. Everything from the screen refresh rate to the giant Nintendo DS mixed with Switch gamepad definitely screams gamer. I hope this is perfect for anyone who games on mobile phones. For me though, I'll be sticking with my more reasonably priced Nintendo Switch.

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

but does it have a headphone jack?

Spoiler

i should probably add that i DID read that it has it, im not blind

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

1 minute ago, spartaman64 said:

it doesnt have 5G?

According to other sources, no.

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

okay, if you're staying with your switch... what phone do you have? are you okay with carrying a phone and a switch with you? seems like this phone is superior to all other flagships future proof wise. and the added bonus is that you could also play games. granted games seem cooler on the switch, with this you only need to carry one device, not another phone plus a switch.

(....feck, i haven't even played the new zelda game yet.)

59 minutes ago, luouxmont said:

okay, if you're staying with your switch... what phone do you have? are you okay with carrying a phone and a switch with you? seems like this phone is superior to all other flagships future proof wise. and the added bonus is that you could also play games. granted games seem cooler on the switch, with this you only need to carry one device, not another phone plus a switch.

(....feck, i haven't even played the new zelda game yet.)

Z2 force running LineageOS. What's the point of a flagship phone if I can't customize it to the core.