HDMI cable max length?

Revontuli
Go to solution Solved by Moonzy,
17 minutes ago, Revontuli said:

So I can just assume it to work?

if they're selling a 20m cable, it's pretty sure to work, or else they wouldn't be selling now would they

of course it depends on external environment as well, say if you run a lot of cables in parallel, then crosstalk might be an issue

in a normal household, i dont think that's an issue

the transmitter's power is also a factor

HDMI is a digital signal, 1's and 0's

0 when below certain voltage to 0, 1 if above certain voltage to a certain limit

voltage will drops across cable length due to resistance

so there are two ways to increase signal integrity

1) use near max voltage of "1" to ensure voltage drop across the cable wont bring final output to below 1's minimum voltage (assuming it have high current limit)

2) decrease resistance of wire to reduce voltage drop (increase the area of conductor, aka thicker cables)

Hi There,

I know this has been mentioned before on the forum and as well in one of their videos, but everyone and everything is saying something different and I just need to sort this out. I am looking at buying a 15m HDMI cable (15.3 to be exact). This would fit around the room from the pc on one side to the projector on the other. A shorter cable most likely wont fit. I was doing some research but the opinions are way too different. Some people say 10 is the max, others say 12,5, then again Linus mentioned in their video "Up to 50 feet" which correlates to 15.24 meters. Would 15.24 then work, or be just too long? And how does that relate to the 15.3m cable. 

FYI: I am looking at the "AmazonBasics High Speed HDMI-kabel"

Thanks in advance!

If it's manufactured that way, it will work (let's say 95% sure it will work).

I think the original HDMI was maximum 3 meters or something like that... but with the following versions longer lengths were possible.

Also, some cables have signal amplifiers hidden in the plug, or use thicker wires or better insulated wires to carry the signals, so longer lengths are possible.

I have a 20 meter cable. Works fine.

I once gave Luke and Linus pizza.

Proud member of the ITX club.

**SCRAPYARD WARS!!!!**

#BringBackLuke

29 minutes ago, mariushm said:

If it's manufactured that way, it will work (let's say 95% sure it will work).

I think the original HDMI was maximum 3 meters or something like that... but with the following versions longer lengths were possible.

Also, some cables have signal amplifiers hidden in the plug, or use thicker wires or better insulated wires to carry the signals, so longer lengths are possible.

Just now, LukeLinusFanFic said:

I have a 20 meter cable. Works fine.

Alright cool. So I can just assume it to work? Because the comments on the cable are really mixed. Some say it works and some say it doesnt. 

17 minutes ago, Revontuli said:

So I can just assume it to work?

if they're selling a 20m cable, it's pretty sure to work, or else they wouldn't be selling now would they

of course it depends on external environment as well, say if you run a lot of cables in parallel, then crosstalk might be an issue

0 when below certain voltage to 0, 1 if above certain voltage to a certain limit

1) use near max voltage of "1" to ensure voltage drop across the cable wont bring final output to below 1's minimum voltage (assuming it have high current limit)

2) decrease resistance of wire to reduce voltage drop (increase the area of conductor, aka thicker cables)

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

17 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

Thanks, really helpful! :)

6 hours ago, Revontuli said:

Hi There,

I know this has been mentioned before on the forum and as well in one of their videos, but everyone and everything is saying something different and I just need to sort this out. I am looking at buying a 15m HDMI cable (15.3 to be exact). This would fit around the room from the pc on one side to the projector on the other. A shorter cable most likely wont fit. I was doing some research but the opinions are way too different. Some people say 10 is the max, others say 12,5, then again Linus mentioned in their video "Up to 50 feet" which correlates to 15.24 meters. Would 15.24 then work, or be just too long? And how does that relate to the 15.3m cable. 

FYI: I am looking at the "AmazonBasics High Speed HDMI-kabel"

Thanks in advance!

For reference, there is no specific max length for cables.

https://www.hdmi.org/installers/longcablelengths.aspx