Uses for fake ebay GPUs?

literallyJoel

I got a GPU off Ebay a lil while a back that turned out to be a fake. I thought it probably was, but decided it was worth the risk on the off-chance it was real, because PayPal tend to have pretty good buyer protection. Once I recieved it and confirmed the unfortunate truth, I complained to the seller and got a full refund but they let me keep the card. It's been sitting in a draw unused for months and wondered if anyone had suggestions for any uses it may have?

Donate it to a kid who has a weaker GPU than the fake one

1 minute ago, Duski said:

Donate it to a kid who has a weaker GPU than the fake one

I would except that without the specific driver install disk it came with, which I no longer have - you're gonna have a pretty crappy time using it lol. I recon it might be okay for a service computer/server but actually using the computer would not be a fun experience - ie. crappy resolution, frequent screen crashes etc.

15 minutes ago, literallyJoel said:

any uses

Mount it above your monitors with the sign underneath that says:

"caveat emptor"

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

sell it on ebay for 15 bucks as a Card to add more display outputs

If my Response helped you, Please click the Check under my reply, to mark it as The Solution!

19 minutes ago, literallyJoel said:

I would except that without the specific driver install disk it came with, which I no longer have - you're gonna have a pretty crappy time using it lol. I recon it might be okay for a service computer/server but actually using the computer would not be a fun experience - ie. crappy resolution, frequent screen crashes etc.

Can you tell what gpu it actually is? It's probably still some old low end nvidia or amd chip so you might be able to find a driver that works.

Another cool use is a keyring ;)

image.png.d267018cc1915e4b004ebecbe53efdb1.png

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

If you don't want it to be functional - torch the thing, Mount it on a Plaque with the word "Heresy" written underneath it - for the Emperor does not give his blessing.

Ryze of the Phoenix: 
CPU:      AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 4.15GHz
Ram:      64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @ 3200Mhz (Samsung B-Die & Nanya Technology)
GPU:      MSI RTX 3060 12GB Aero ITX
Storage: Crucial P3 1TB NVMe Gen 4 SSD, 1TB Crucial MX500, Spinning Rust (7TB Internal, 16TB External - All in-use),
PSU:      Cooler Master MWE Gold 750w V2 PSU (Thanks LTT PSU Tier List)
Cooler:   BeQuite! Prue Rock 2 Black Edition
Case:     ThermalTake Versa J22 TG

Passmark 10 Score: 6096.4         CPU-z Score: 4189 MT         Unigine Valley (DX11 @1080p Ultra): 5145         CryEngine Neon Noir (1080p Ultra): 9579

Audio Setup:                  Scarlett 2i2, AudioTechnica AT2020 XLR, Mackie CR3 Monitors, Sennheiser HD559 headphones, HyperX Cloud II Headset, KZ ES4 IEM (Cyan)

Laptop:                            MacBook Pro 2017 (Intel i5 7360U, 8GB DDR3, 128GB SSD, 2x Thunderbolt 3 Ports - No Touch Bar) Catalina & Boot Camp Win10 Pro

Primary Phone:               Xiaomi Mi 11T Pro 5G 256GB (Snapdragon 888)

Advanced issues found

3 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Snip

I did that once with an old ASUS LGA 775 Southbridge heatsink - it was actually really nice.

Ryze of the Phoenix: 
CPU:      AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 4.15GHz
Ram:      64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @ 3200Mhz (Samsung B-Die & Nanya Technology)
GPU:      MSI RTX 3060 12GB Aero ITX
Storage: Crucial P3 1TB NVMe Gen 4 SSD, 1TB Crucial MX500, Spinning Rust (7TB Internal, 16TB External - All in-use),
PSU:      Cooler Master MWE Gold 750w V2 PSU (Thanks LTT PSU Tier List)
Cooler:   BeQuite! Prue Rock 2 Black Edition
Case:     ThermalTake Versa J22 TG

Passmark 10 Score: 6096.4         CPU-z Score: 4189 MT         Unigine Valley (DX11 @1080p Ultra): 5145         CryEngine Neon Noir (1080p Ultra): 9579

Audio Setup:                  Scarlett 2i2, AudioTechnica AT2020 XLR, Mackie CR3 Monitors, Sennheiser HD559 headphones, HyperX Cloud II Headset, KZ ES4 IEM (Cyan)

Laptop:                            MacBook Pro 2017 (Intel i5 7360U, 8GB DDR3, 128GB SSD, 2x Thunderbolt 3 Ports - No Touch Bar) Catalina & Boot Camp Win10 Pro

Primary Phone:               Xiaomi Mi 11T Pro 5G 256GB (Snapdragon 888)

Like others have mentioned you should be able to load a new vbios on it and then be able to load a driver on any pc and it should work. This is a kinda research intensive process though if you dont know what you are doing...(me)

Anyways, since you didnt end up paying for it, the keychain idea seems to be a winner.

2 hours ago, Norwegiantweaker said:

reflash it with a vbios suited for that model and sell it to someone in need or give it away to someone who needs it ? 

Unfortunately, that requires a lot of kit to do as these fake GPU sellers go to lengths to make sure that you can't flash the card back to its original state and to get around that requires either modifying the fake cards current BIOS to report the correct data (and maybe get it to accept a reflash to a compatible BIOS) or flash the chip directly without having the card running.

4 hours ago, WelshDdraig said:

for the Emperor does not give his blessing.

Calus demands you fight worthier opponents

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Wouldn't it be a real hassle to create a fake GPU?

20 minutes ago, 00100000 said:

Wouldn't it be a real hassle to create a fake GPU?

Not when they do it by the 1000's from junked parts reclaimed from recycling programs, no one wants to buy a GTS 450 but someone does want to buy a GTX 1050! The biggest tell tale is if the card has a VGA port as nothing from Nvidia in the past 3 or 4 generations has had one, though they're getting wise to this and starting to omit them. I think the mining craze caused this problem because GPU's were in such high demand they could flood the market with low end fakes which would get bought up by the unwary or unknowing. Seems like AMD cards get faked less so maybe stick with those if you need a budget or lower end card? R7's are pretty cheap now or if you just need a display out something like a 7570 works fine and is dirt cheap.

Is it fake as in mislabeld, or is it fake as in it's actually a chocolate bar?

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

🍎 iPad Air2; iPhone SE 2020; iPhone 5s; AppleTV 4k 🍎

44 minutes ago, Video Beagle said:

Is it fake as in mislabeld, or is it fake as in it's actually a chocolate bar?

Fake as in the card has had its BIOS reflashed to make it appear to be something that is more current or a GPU that is more commonly sought.