Wifi card for new build?

Go to solution Solved by Alex Atkin UK,
On 7/20/2019 at 6:54 PM, DrMacintosh said:

This is by far the best value WiFi card on the market imo

https://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-GC-WB867D-I-Bluetooth-Frequency-Expansion/dp/B00HF8K0O6/ref=sr_1_13?keywords=WiFi+card&qid=1563645184&s=gateway&sr=8-13

Bluetooth and AC WiFi. I use it an I've never had any driver issues or connectivity problems. It's a very reliable wireless card. 

I prefer https://amzn.to/2yhj0BR as it uses a modern M.2 card that can easily be replaced with an Intel AX200 for the very latest in WiFi technology.

The Gigabyte uses an old miniPCIe card which are pretty much unsupported these days, so you won't find a card any better than what it already comes with, making it more expensive if you want to upgrade later.

Let me get this clear, I am tight on budget, but still look quality for money, so can someone recommend a wifi card (pci-e) thats cheap (in a good way if you get what I mean).

is it a gaming pc?

you never want a wifi card on a gaming pc, wifi connections often are unstable, disconnects ot have a variable ping that is terrible for games

ethernet adapter is 10 times better and your pc has to have one already on the motherboard

why do you need a wifi adapter?

https://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-GC-WB867D-I-Bluetooth-Frequency-Expansion/dp/B00HF8K0O6/ref=sr_1_13?keywords=WiFi+card&qid=1563645184&s=gateway&sr=8-13

Bluetooth and AC WiFi. I use it an I've never had any driver issues or connectivity problems. It's a very reliable wireless card. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

On the next episode of Dr. Macintosh... he prescribes a RTX 2080 ti a water cooler and new power supply to fix his relationship with Ryzen 7 3800X

On 7/21/2019 at 12:19 AM, 00100000 said:

On the next episode of Dr. Macintosh... he prescribes a RTX 2080 ti a water cooler and new power supply to fix his relationship with Ryzen 7 3800X

uhhh WAHT?

On 7/20/2019 at 11:14 PM, goto10 said:

is it a gaming pc?

you never want a wifi card on a gaming pc, wifi connections often are unstable, disconnects ot have a variable ping that is terrible for games

ethernet adapter is 10 times better and your pc has to have one already on the motherboard

why do you need a wifi adapter?

This pc will be placed near my TV in living room. And the wifi is in the master-bedroom, so yeah...

On 7/20/2019 at 6:54 PM, DrMacintosh said:

I prefer https://amzn.to/2yhj0BR as it uses a modern M.2 card that can easily be replaced with an Intel AX200 for the very latest in WiFi technology.

The Gigabyte uses an old miniPCIe card which are pretty much unsupported these days, so you won't find a card any better than what it already comes with, making it more expensive if you want to upgrade later.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

On 7/28/2019 at 1:51 PM, Alex Atkin UK said:

I second that, although I personally use Fenvi's FV-102 (same idea, M.2 to PCIe) which I buy from their AliExpress store (they also have an Amazon store, but their AliExpress store is better organized) since Amazon's shipping rates to my country are insane, unless you buy something expensive.

The FV-102 does not come prepopulated, but I just buy an M.2 WiFi card (such as the AX200) from them as well.

12 minutes ago, moriel5 said:

I second that, although I personally use Fenvi's FV-102 (same idea, M.2 to PCIe) which I buy from their AliExpress store (they also have an Amazon store, but their AliExpress store is better organized) since Amazon's shipping rates to my country are insane, unless you buy something expensive.

The FV-102 does not come prepopulated, but I just buy an M.2 WiFi card (such as the AX200) from them as well.

The good thing with the ASUS though is the external antenna.  All the cheap Chinese adapters I've seen have basic antennas.

WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)

1 minute ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

The good thing with the ASUS though is the external antenna.  All the cheap Chinese adapters I've seen have basic antennas.

Yeah, you're right.

Thankfully though, the FV-102 utilizes removable antennaes, so I just switch them out for TP-Link 6dBi antennaes I buy on eBay.

On 7/28/2019 at 4:21 PM, Alex Atkin UK said:

Thank you!

Guys, I know this is a really stupid question, but can I share a laptop's wifi connection to a pc without a wifi card by a lan cable?

1 minute ago, goto10 said:

theoretically but afik is a pain in the...

well, i would just not go that route

Yeah well how would I download the driver for the wifi card with no lan??

?

some wifi cards dont need driver, windows might already have it, if it uses a realtek chip, windows might have it, at least it has happened many times in the past here

Just now, goto10 said:

some wifi cards dont need driver, windows might already have it, if it uses a realtek chip, windows might have it, at least it has happened many times in the past here

ye, but its an asus chip

never mind, 

this build might not actually be taking place anyways,

dont waste your time anyways..

well, this is how

still we all learn or remember when a question like this comes, nothing bad in that

Thank you.

This forum is really full of nice people, aint it? :)

11 hours ago, Potato Pc Tryhard said:

ye, but its an asus chip

Almost all are actually Intel chips, ASUS are just a re-brand of a pretty generic PCIe to M.2 adapter with an Intel card pre-installed.

If all you want is to download the driver then yeah, its not hard to share your WiFi connection temporarily for that.

11 hours ago, goto10 said:

well, this is how

still we all learn or remember when a question like this comes, nothing bad in that

No that is wrong, you should never bridge a WiFi client to anything, as a standards compliant WiFi Client doesn't work like that.  That would require a Client Bridge, and the WiFi Access Point has to specifically support that (it shouldn't generally be enabled in Access Point mode).

If it actually works then its because your WiFi Access Point is doing something none standard, if its standards compliant it shouldn't work as a WiFi Client doesn't contain all the information that ethernet does in order forward other clients traffic.  WiFi Client is designed to be a single client only!

3 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

No that is wrong, you should never bridge a WiFi client to anything, WiFi doesn't work like that.

i know that there are methods, personally when i tried, i couldnt do it but i was on win7, along time ago

i know it can be done, but is really anmoying

i think it would be more simple to use a router as repeater, iirc the router will pick up the wifi signal and allow ethernet connections via that wifi connection, i dont remember how is done

still fight with adapters and routers, is easier to just buy along ethernet cable for the occassion 

11 minutes ago, goto10 said:

i know that there are methods, personally when i tried, i couldnt do it but i was on win7, along time ago

i know it can be done, but is really anmoying

i think it would be more simple to use a router as repeater, iirc the router will pick up the wifi signal and allow ethernet connections via that wifi connection, i dont remember how is done

still fight with adapters and routers, is easier to just buy along ethernet cable for the occassion 

Its actually much easier to use Windows, you just have to know how to do it, and remember to turn it off before plugging ethernet into an actual network, or risk completely screwing up that network.

Go to Network and Sharing settings, Change Adapter options,  Right click on WiFi and go to Properties, then the Sharing tab.  Tick "Allow other network users to connect through this computer", Select your ethernet adapter from the list and click OK.

You should have full access to the Internet but anything plugged into Ethernet will be effectively be double-NAT, as your PC is acting as a router.  You wont have normal LAN access (as broadcasts will be blocked), though you may be able to access some things via their IP address.

A router as a repeater still depends on either being able to use Client Bridge mode, or have the WiFi Client as the WAN connection.

12 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Its actually much easier to use Windows, you just have to know how to do it, and remember to turn it off before plugging ethernet into an actual network, or risk completely screwing up that network.

Go to Network and Sharing settings, Change Adapter options,  Right click on WiFi and go to Properties, then the Sharing tab.  Tick "Allow other network users to connect through this computer", Select your ethernet adapter from the list and click OK.

You should have full access to the Internet but anything plugged into Ethernet will be effectively be double-NAT, as your PC is acting as a router.  You wont have normal LAN access (as broadcasts will be blocked), though you may be able to access some things via their IP address.

A router as a repeater still depends on either being able to use Client Bridge mode, or have the WiFi Client as the WAN connection.

exactly what i said, buy a long ethernet cable!

4 minutes ago, goto10 said:

exactly what i said, buy a long ethernet cable!

They literally said this was temporary to download the WiFi driver. 

So either move the PC to the router (or a loooong ethernet cable) and use plain ethernet, or share the Internet from another PC that is already connected over WiFi.

The latter is clearly much simpler.  It takes less time than trying to move the PC or string a huge ethernet cable across the house without tripping other people up in the household.