Decision Help

PenguinMaster

So I got some birthday money recently and I was wondering what I should spend it on.  I’ve come up with three use case scenarios.

-New iPad & Apple Pencil (the 6th gen) - I have the 5th gen currently

-Upgrade CPU, Motherboard, RAM, & CPU Cooler (This is my current pc) - I’m interested in the new 3rd gen Ryzen CPU’s

-New NAS and HDD’s for it

I honestly don’t know what to choose.  I use my iPad everyday to watch YT, and I use my Gaming PC maybe 3 times a week at most. Right now for a NAS I use an old Dell Inspiron 620, with an i5, and 6GB RAM, and a 1TB HDD.

If you need me to follow up on something, please quote or tag me.

If you need to ask this question then you are better off saving it for later.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

when it comes to decision making with spending significant some of money for myself. I always asses my situation. by asking myself these questions,

does the thing I want to upgrade do the job I want it to do fine?

But their are some exceptions where something functions correctly and very well in  like my g502 but it had a glaring issue it's heavy and kinda too big for my grip style so I bought a second mouse. 

how necessary is it that I spend this money right now?

how much could I benefit putting this into savings for now and wait for a sale or  saving more to get something better at a later date?

5 hours ago, Chickenfans said:

I use my iPad everyday to watch YT

Why buy another one if it's going to do the exact same thing the one you already have does?

Upgrade CPU, Motherboard, RAM, & CPU Cooler (This is my current pc) - I’m interested in the new 3rd gen Ryzen CPU’s

Your PC has withstood the test of time. Upgrading these parts is a tragic mistake. Unless you just so happen to own a 4K 144 Hz monitor.

New NAS and HDD’s for it

I don't even know what a NAS is but adding more TB's to your current PC is a great idea. I say go for something like this... Seagate BarraCuda 3TB HDD. It's $79.99 for the next 3 days and hit $65.00 on a 24 hour flash sale on the 1st of July so it or something similar might hit $65.00 again very soon. I went with this... Toshiba 3TB HDD a couple of years ago for I think $74.00 after tax but it is currently overpriced and hasn't hit $80.00 since mid June. It's now slam full and I won't hesitate to buy another one the day it hits around $74.00 after tax again.

1 hour ago, Dr. Historic Low said:

I don't even know what a NAS is

"Network Attached Storage"
Basically a box with hard drives in it can be accessed from all the machines on your network, useful for sharing your entire video library, for backups, etc... (Though a lot of people use them as external hard drives for a single computer)

Here's what I think with the limited info from the OP:

• For the iPad, there's literally no point upgrading for an iPad 5th gen(2017) to an iPad 6th gen(2018), the generational "improvements" isn't worth it other than being able to say you have the "latest" one. 
Spoiler

From what I can tell, it weight the same, same size, same screen, same resolution, same amount of ram, same camera, same comm modules (wifi, bluetooth, etc..), same sensors (fingerprint, gyro, etc..), same battery................
Basically there's like only two difference, the addition of a stylus functionality and a slightly faster CPU. That's all. That's barely an upgrade. If you think that's worth it, well, you do you, some people have more money than sense after all.

• For upgrading the PC... Well that's on you. If you can't play the games you want to play on it, sure go for it, otherwise, no point.
  • As for the extra storage... Are you running out of space? If so, can't you delete old stuff? If it's "precious memories", sure, get a new drive.... But if it's basically just filled with movies you've "obtained", maybe considering clearing up the old stuff you've seen already

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

I agree with the saving idea.  I’ve ultimately decided to save my money.  Why spend it on things that already work fine?  Thanks!

If you need me to follow up on something, please quote or tag me.